Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Dazrin

Adventurer
I have been considering either these or the Duratracs (currently my preferred) and saw yesterday that one of our work trucks has them in 275/70R18 (~33.4"x12"). I now need to figure out a way to legitimately borrow the work truck for testing purposes. The tread isn't quite as aggressive looking as I was thinking, but still looks great.

Willman

I'm at the SEMA Show and just spoke to the LT tire manager 'who knows'.
At the show last year I was told that in late 2013 Cooper would introduce many new sizes of the S/T MAXX, including a 255/80R17E. Only one other tire is currently made in the 255/80R17 size, the BFG MT. I've been waiting.

Soon, around the end of this year, many new S/T MAXX sizes will be released (28 I think?) and two of them will be:

LT255/80R17E

AND

LT255/85R16E

I'm ecstatic that Cooper is going to make these two sizes, especially in the S/T MAXX tread!

James

Thanks Great News James! Can you get a date out of him as when we can visit our closet Cooper dealer to get the new shoes.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I talked to Mike at SEMA too. It seems the sale of Cooper delayed a lot of development work, and though the official sale hasn't actually happened, they're back on track. I also got him to confirm that the 255/80 and 255/85 versions will be sized more like the 235/85 STMaxx, which runs a little wider than most 235/85's. The old 255/85 ST was REALLY narrow in the tread compared to a BFG or Toyo, which made it look funny on a 7" wheel. I think the new Maxx 255 will be closer in size to those two tires, which means it should be at home on a 7-8" wheel. PERFECT!!
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to buy a set, since the STT's on my Jeep are getting thin...

Another interesting comment that he made was that about 30% of the Maxx's that Cooper makes head to Australia. Mike said that the Maxx was "really designed for that market", and that they have a distributor there who has turned the Cooper brand into one of the top tire brands in Australia! I'd much rather run tires designed to survive the outback than ones designed for the California "bro-dozer" market!!
Chris

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks Great News James! Can you get a date out of him as when we can visit our closet Cooper dealer to get the new shoes.

Sorry Nic, SEMA was over by the time your post. I'd be really surprised if he had an actual date to share as there are many variables to production and distribution schedules. Soon is very positive but it may not been soon enough if a guy needs tires 'now'.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I talked to Mike at SEMA too. It seems the sale of Cooper delayed a lot of development work, and though the official sale hasn't actually happened, they're back on track. I also got him to confirm that the 255/80 and 255/85 versions will be sized more like the 235/85 STMaxx, which runs a little wider than most 235/85's. The old 255/85 ST was REALLY narrow in the tread compared to a BFG or Toyo, which made it look funny on a 7" wheel. I think the new Maxx 255 will be closer in size to those two tires, which means it should be at home on a 7-8" wheel.

I didn't ask and was assuming that the new 255s would be 'normally' sized, glad to read this. Completely agree regarding the old 255 S/T (and all it's brothers), a very narrow tire with a very exposed (and softer) sidewall. A wider 255 appeals and works better for me.

Another interesting comment that he made was that about 30% of the Maxx's that Cooper makes head to Australia. Mike said that the Maxx was "really designed for that market", and that they have a distributor there who has turned the Cooper brand into one of the top tire brands in Australia! I'd much rather run tires designed to survive the outback than ones designed for the California "bro-dozer" market!!
Chris

Agreed. Designing the MAXX for the Aussie market where rugged tires appear to be more appreciated [and arguably worked/tested harder by the masses] makes lots of sense. Thirty percent of the of the MAXX treads to AU is a BIG number.

Cooper tires, as well as subsidiary Mickey Thompson, have been popular in Australia for a while from the Aussie magazines and forums I've read. Unfortunately for Cooper, in the U.S. market 'enthusiast' brands with better name recognition [advertising?] have a bigger following. Yet Cooper, including their numerous other brands and private labels (Dean, Mastercraft, ******** Cepek, Mickey Thompson, etc.), has made and continues to make some fantastic treads.

I will be testing a set of 255 S/T MAXX treads, likely in 255/80R17 first, but can seen buying a second set in 255/85R16 for my old F350 eventually too.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
26 Additional Sizes

Corrected my post from a few days ago, the number of new S/T MAXX sizes that will be introduced is, 26, not 28 as I'd written.

That's a really big deal, a symbolic relaunch of the MAXX tread pattern. Presently there are only 8 S/T MAXX sizes available.

Currently there are 26 old S/T sizes available, and I didn't ask but I assume the old S/T tread will be discontinued very soon.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yes, Mike said ST will be discontinued. Our 255's are supposted to be out by the end of the year from what I understood. He was going to send me confirmation to my work e-mail, but I didn't see it when I looked this morning. I'm not holding my breath for it at this point.
C

MIhunter

I have the ST MAXX 275/70r18 E's on my 2012 Sierra 3500. They are a great tire and perform well in mud and snow. However, I am getting ready to offload them as I can't keep my alignment correct with them and their heavy weight is cause bump steering from hell. I have had my truck on the alignment rack 3 times in the last 4 months due to these tires. When I switch back over to my BFG's for warm weather, I have no issues at all. I have also had issue with them on the highway as the tread walks these all over the place between 65mph and 75mph. I have experimented with various pressures with no luck. I'm not sure what the solution is at this point. I love the tread and performance but not the issues they have caused. I have a buddy of mine with the same truck and he is running the Duratracs with no issues.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have the ST MAXX 275/70r18 E's on my 2012 Sierra 3500. They are a great tire and perform well in mud and snow. However, I am getting ready to offload them as I can't keep my alignment correct with them and their heavy weight is cause bump steering from hell. snip...

So they
1) walk around on the highway
2) bumper steer
3) Can't keep your alignment correct…

Explain my #3 please.

Do you mean the tires are causing the front-end to pull to one side? I'm interested in the specific symptom and what has been changed to try and correct the issue.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Weight of the tire has no effect on your suspension bumpsteer setting. I suppose you could shim your steering tie-rods or rack up or down to adjust bumpsteer, but I doubt that'll help. You might need more caster. Could also be bushings and shocks. Heavy tires can illustrate failing shocks.
-
How many miles are on the tires? Factory wheels? Any chassis wobble under braking?

Last edited:

telemike

SE Expedition Society
Bummer about that. I almost bought a set but went with Kelly TSR instead and they are great except a bit of noise from the voids

stclair

Adventurer
So...I've been reading up on the ST Maxx. I'll being buying tires in the next week or so for my 2002 Tundra w/FWC Eagle. Also, will be running an ICON/Deaver suspension. So any last advice before I pull the trigger on a set of these? Thanks!

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Bought a set of these 2nd hand off cl in 285-70-17 flavor after I had one of my 255-80-17 km2s spit the tread on the hiway on my way to indiana. I love these things and I'm happy to see they will offer the 255-80 size soon. I will probably buy a set when they become available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal