Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I just checked one tire, it's at 9/32". Looking back through my truck thread, at my last rotation it was at 10/32". The math figures out to roughly 4500 miles per 1/32". It's a daily driven truck that sees the woods and beach on weekends and vacations so your mileage may vary.
snip...

That's fantastic wear Jim, and about what I've been getting from my FCII on my Tundra.

jim65wagon

How is the siping holding up? I have seen images where part of the siping goes away with use, but not sure how much.

Tread at 42,000 miles (last rotation)

10124574743_c6003726f9.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
32.8 inches tall

I confirmed that the overall diameter of both the S/T MAXX

255/85R16

and

255/80R17

will be 32.8"

jpat30

Adventurer
An interesting note...
I stopped by my local Discount Tire this am to get a look at the ST Maxx vs the BFG KO. Even if they didn't have my size, I wanted to take a look at the tread in person. The very nice gentleman assisting told me they did not have the Maxx in stock and that searching the system for them, there were 2 tires in Texas and not a whole lot more anywhere. He went on to say that usually when inventory gets that low across the nation on a particular tire, it indicates that it possibly on the way out. He believes that Cooper is possibly phasing out the Maxx in favor of the STT. Don't know how accurate all that is, but I thought I would pass it on. Have a great day out there!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A very incorrect guess on the part of the tire guy.

Exactly the opposite is occurring, several new sizes of the Cooper S/T MAXX are being introduced.

Fact. :)

PMA4x4

Adventurer
ipat30,

I have had tire shops tell me

"they dont make that in a LT" (when they did)
"low stock means they are discontinuing"
"You dont need an LT"
"always run at max psi"
"width of the tire changes the speedometer"

A few years back word got out that BFG was having a massive price hike so BFG ATs and MTs dropped off the face of the earth for a while as people wnet out and "panic bought", rumor was going around they were discontinued. They are still here.

If the tire is in question contact the manufacturer of said tire and they will tell you.

1stDeuce

Explorer
My neighbor has the 235/85's on his Rubicon LJ and he loves them! The 235's actually look fine on the 8" rubicon wheel, and the tread width of the 235/85 ST Maxx is more comparable to a 245 than most 235/85's. I was going to go with them as the next tire on my Jeep until the 255's got announced a few months ago... Now I'm waiting patiently for them to be available whilst I paint my wheels and sell off my 285 STT's that still have 1/4" of tread with 50k miles on them! (Rotated in the spare, so 50,000/5 tires, not 4...)

Think my Comanche project is getting some 235/85 AT3's... The Maxx's would be a bit heavy for it.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
My neighbor has the 235/85's on his Rubicon LJ and he loves them! The 235's actually look fine on the 8" rubicon wheel, and the tread width of the 235/85 ST Maxx is more comparable to a 245 than most 235/85's. I was going to go with them as the next tire on my Jeep until the 255's got announced a few months ago... Now I'm waiting patiently for them to be available whilst I paint my wheels and sell off my 285 STT's that still have 1/4" of tread with 50k miles on them! (Rotated in the spare, so 50,000/5 tires, not 4...)

Think my Comanche project is getting some 235/85 AT3's... The Maxx's would be a bit heavy for it.

How true to size are they? Are they close to being an actual 32" tire?

juicebox

Adventurer
I confirmed that the overall diameter of both the S/T MAXX

255/85R16

and

255/80R17

will be 32.8"

Is that a good thing? Is 32.8" a smaller 255? I've heard the old S/T runs pretty small and narrow to be a 255/85r16.

I know you're the 255 expert, the Maxxis Bighorn and the KM2 are both listed being 33.3"... But I remember the Interco 255/85 running extremely small, like barley 32". It just seems like the manufacturers specs don't always mean much.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is that a good thing? Is 32.8" a smaller 255? I've heard the old S/T runs pretty small and narrow to be a 255/85r16.

I know you're the 255 expert, the Maxxis Bighorn and the KM2 are both listed being 33.3"... But I remember the Interco 255/85 running extremely small, like barley 32". It just seems like the manufacturers specs don't always mean much.

No, I don't think it's a good thing, I'd prefer if they were taller, 33+ inches, but nobody asked me. :)

Even though the tires are only as tall as a typical 285/75 at 32.8", I'm still very happy that Cooper is making these tires and look forward to testing a set. Getting the same height as a 285 without the unnecessary width is a big positive in my mind (if it works for the application).

Has anyone noticed the sub-$200 prices on Tread Depot? $198 for 255/85R16 and $180 for 255/80R17 S/T MAXX, seems like a deal these days, but 255s often are a bit less expensive than 'bigger' sizes.

01tundra

Explorer
Just placed the order for 235/85R16 Cooper S/T Maxx tires, got a good deal on them from our local Discount Tire.

Should be here next week :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues