Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

HighPlains

Observer
That is pretty fast wear, about 1,500 miles per 1/32", right?

But, your use sounds really hard, with few easy highway miles to even out/slow down the trail wear. Did you subject the rig to the same use/duty-cycle before the S/T MAXX were added? With what tire?

That does seem a bit fast. The tire shop I used to work at was a Cooper dealer and we put the STmaxx on everything from ranch and oil field trucks to forest service and game & fish vehicles. One of our regulars worked the oil fields in ND and put a little over 5k a month on his truck commuting up there from southern WY, we rotated the set of maxx's on his truck every month when he came in for service at about 5k and they had over 30k on the set of 4 with life left in them when the truck was replaced.

projected

Adventurer
Interesting. Just thinking out loud, I really don't spin when off road, if I start to spin I pick a new line. I always air down as soon as I leave the pavement and I do not air up if there is a stretch of pavement 20 miles or less to the next dirt. The pavement I am referring to is always rural with speeds under 50. I'm assuming most ranchers and oil field workers never air down. Otherwise I'm not sure, as the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks they are using out weigh my truck by quite a bit.

Previous tires were a set of the P rated Hankook dynapro atm 265/75-16, different tires than the tires mentioned above that I use for DD. With similar use, except they stayed on all the time for DD, seemed to be wearing faster than expected as well. I'll check my records and see if I can get specifics on wear.

Last edited:

pittsburgh

tacocat
I have a set of ST Maxx 255/85-16's on my heavy fully armored 2012 Frontier

I can't recommend them for packed snow/icy conditions, I feel these tires are much closer to a mud terrain than an all terrain.

Note: I have not read this thread to know if my experience is similar to others, but above has been my experience to date.

Have you run these tires in the snow at all? I was set on them till I saw a set in person and they look awesome but so much like a mud tire I am skeptical of their performance as a daily driver tire on snowy/icy roads.

carbon60

Explorer
Have you run these tires in the snow at all? I was set on them till I saw a set in person and they look awesome but so much like a mud tire I am skeptical of their performance as a daily driver tire on snowy/icy roads.

Are they winter rated? I thought not.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Are they winter rated? I thought not.

I know they are not, but they are considered all terrains and people seem to love them in all conditions. I was asking @projected if he had experienced them in the snow since he and I both felt the lugs more closely resemble a mud lug. I don't mind having winter dedicated tires but if the ST Maxx could perform solid in the snow then I wouldn't mind running them all year round.

carbon60

Explorer
I know they are not, but they are considered all terrains and people seem to love them in all conditions. I was asking @projected if he had experienced them in the snow since he and I both felt the lugs more closely resemble a mud lug. I don't mind having winter dedicated tires but if the ST Maxx could perform solid in the snow then I wouldn't mind running them all year round.

I would assume, without any actual experience, that they would perform poorly on hard packed snow and ice.

This is the reason I chose Duratracs, and they have worked out very well for me in the winter.

A.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I would assume, without any actual experience, that they would perform poorly on hard packed snow and ice. . . .

That assumption would be incorrect in my neck of the woods.

I have been running ST/Maxx for two years - year round. I have had absolutely no complaints about ST/Maxx performance in the type of snow we get in the southern portion of the Cascades/far north end of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have had no trouble on ice.

Someone in this or another thread wisely observed that snow is different is different parts of the continent rendering blanket conclusions about winter performance highly suspect. What works on the East Coast may not work as well in Colorado snow but may be fine in the heavy, wet snow of the California Sierra Nevadas. Performance is the dryer snow of Utah may be entirely different than either of those places. I cannot speak for the frozen north of Canada.

The point is this: When someone reports on the winter performance of their tires pay attention to their geographic area. What works for them may not work for you and vice versa.

bijanjames

Adventurer
That assumption would be incorrect in my neck of the woods.

I have been running ST/Maxx for two years - year round. I have had absolutely no complaints about ST/Maxx performance in the type of snow we get in the southern portion of the Cascades/far north end of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have had no trouble on ice.

Someone in this or another thread wisely observed that snow is different is different parts of the continent rendering blanket conclusions about winter performance highly suspect. What works on the East Coast may not work as well in Colorado snow but may be fine in the heavy, wet snow of the California Sierra Nevadas. Performance is the dryer snow of Utah may be entirely different than either of those places. I cannot speak for the frozen north of Canada.

The point is this: When someone reports on the winter performance of their tires pay attention to their geographic area. What works for them may not work for you and vice versa.

How many miles do you have on your tires now? We are both running 265/75r16, just curious how they are holding up.

Robert Bills

Explorer
How many miles do you have on your tires now? We are both running 265/75r16, just curious how they are holding up.

I have just under 15,000 miles on the tires now (I don't drive my Xterra every day), and based upon the wear so far I should get about 30,000 miles from them before the tread depth gets down to 4/32. I did not buy these expecting 40,000 miles. That might be possible with all highway miles, but not with offroading on any regular basis.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
This is probably the only brand of cooper tires i will ever buy again. I am that impressed for my use. I run 265/70/17 on my 3/4 ton diesel, and loved them. Snow/slush/icy roads/ mountains/mud. On my XJ Cherokee i run 265/75/16. all though 10 ply, i really didnt notice much rougher ride. and i like the 3 ply sidewall and thick tread base. flex.jpg
napier 2.jpg

We ran them in our fleet two years ago. 5 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi trucks and 2 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins trucks. They weren't any better or worse than the Cooper AT3's, or any of the other AT's we've ran over the years in the snow, just chain up when needed. The 2 Cummins trucks ran the tread off of them faster than we had hoped, but they wore pretty good on the gassers.

Robert Bills

Explorer
projected said:
. . . I feel these tires are much closer to a mud terrain than an all terrain. . . .

. . . they look awesome but so much like a mud tire . . . .

The tread of the ST/Maxx isn't nearly as aggressive as a mud terrain tire. These are classified as "commercial traction" tires and have what is best described as an aggressive AT tread.

Flyer69

Observer
With just 60,000 miles on my old set of ST Maxx's, I decided it was time for a new set. The old ones still have 6/32" of tread, but with the arrival of winter and potential snow I took the hit.

Now the ride is whisper quiet again and oh so smooth!

I like those wheels.... what brand/model are they? Also, are you running spacers, or is the backspace/offset the same as the factory Tundra wheels?

jim65wagon

I like those wheels.... what brand/model are they? Also, are you running spacers, or is the backspace/offset the same as the factory Tundra wheels?
Pro Comp.....8069, I think. There are a couple of different numbers with the same style but different finishes. You can get gloss, flat, or chrome. Mine are glossy.

Backspace is 4" which is about perfect for a first gen Tundra. No spacers needed

projected

Adventurer

Sorry I missed some notifications in my junk mail...

For my winter/DD wheels I have Hankook Dynapro ATM's that are probably the best AT tire I've used in snow. Compared to my Hankooks and the previous many sets of BFG AT's these ST Maxx's are not acceptable for me in packed/icy conditions, I tried to leave them on this winter because we take trips out to UT when the weather allows but I ended up putting the Hankooks on and the difference was dramatic.

Our 4runner has Blizzaks for the winter if I ever need to remind myself of real snow/ice performance, obviously the Blizzaks put the Hankooks to shame but it's a good reminder that we get used to what we are driving. So when someone says "I have had absolutely no complaints about ST/Maxx performance in the type of snow we get in the southern portion of the Cascades/far north end of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have had no trouble on ice." Not only should we take into account what area/type of snow they get, but also does this person have a reference point other than the tires mounted on their truck. Like many things in life you may think you have the best of something until you try something that is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC