Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

JKU87

Adventurer
IMG_6990.jpg

Aired them down to 15psi and they were perfect. Got me through everything and would recommend these tires to anyone who wants something between an all terrain and mud terrain.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Just put a set of 285/70/17s on my Tacoma yesterday. I have a trip to the OHV park planned on Saturday with a buddy of mine from work. He bought his son a K5, and neither of them have ever been offroading. I'm excited to see how they stack up agains the BFG ATs that were replaced. So far the highway ride has been nice, only time will tell.

jpat30

Adventurer
Question for those of yall running these? Was the size you were looking for in stock when you went to purchase? The reason I ask is here locally no shop I know of has any size in stock. They can order them for me, but I would sure like to see one in person before ordering.

Applejack

Explorer
Question for those of yall running these? Was the size you were looking for in stock when you went to purchase? The reason I ask is here locally no shop I know of has any size in stock. They can order them for me, but I would sure like to see one in person before ordering.

Where I am at no tire shop has ever had any tire I wanted in stock. These days tire shops tend to keep very little in stock and deal with large distribution centers but they can usually have them in 2-3 days. However they usually have popular tires on display for consumers to check out at least.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
There isn't a shop around here stocking what I want ever too.
They know they're ordering tires for me when they see me parking.

toymaster

Explorer
I ordered 4 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT305 /70 R18 from discount tire July 17th. The website said they were in stock. A few hours later I got an email to call them. Turns out they only had 1 in stock and back ordered a month, he tried to talk me into the Pro instead. I explained I wanted the Maxx because it is all-season. He came back that the Maxx is "M" rated. Like I did not know what I wanted/needed. fyi, mud tires are extremely bad in snow, guess what we get in Wyoming???. I had the Maxx on a company truck all last winter, very impressive to say the least. I ain't putting a mud tire on a highway truck, period. Then he started saying it may be more than a month.... currently in a 'wait' mode. Oh yeah, they had no problems going ahead and charging my CC. Thought they would at least wait till they ship.

zelatore

Explorer
So I haven't had a chance to take them off-road yet, but after a couple days of on-road use, I am blown away by how street-friendly these S/T Maxx's are. At first I was concerned because these big 315/70R17's are a lot more aggressive (in both the tread block size and the width of the tread voids) than the smaller sizes of this tire I've seen in stores, but those fears were unfounded - these tires are essentially silent on the highway. On my daily-driven 4-door JK with a hardtop installed and the windows closed, I cannot hear the tires over the wind noise. Even driving next to a K-rail to reflect the sound back through open windows, I can't hear any tire noise. Just wind noise. It's a night-and-day difference compared to my previous set of mud-terrains.

The S/T Maxx have very sharp steering immediately off-center, making the Jeep drive even more like a car - none of the mushy on-center steering typical of a mud-terrain tire. These load range D Coopers ride better over bumps than my previous load range D BFGoodrich KO1 casings in spite of Cooper's heavy-duty Armor-Tek 3 casings.

I'm really anxious to try them out in varying weather conditions and especially off-road. I'll be running Fordyce at Sierra Trek and the Rubicon over Labor Day Weekend, plus some other trips mixed in between. I'll report back once I've had a chance to give them a thorough test. But I can already say that someone who's looking for a mud-terrain tire that is absolutely street-friendly, these Coopers should be at the very top of the list, especially when you can get a fantastic deal like I did through Discount Tire Direct.

Love to hear an update on the tires now that you've had them in some real rocks....I won't be running my LR3 through Fordyce any time soon but that's a great test of a tire in our Sierra terrain.

I'm still debating on this vs a slightly more aggressive mild MT to replace the Duratracs currently on the rig and as we all know researching tires is a never-ending proposition!

JKU87

Adventurer
3ebbc9aa45c0c4c64d38ba693646caf9.jpg

Current pic of my rig. Love the ST Maxx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KelticXJ

I'm torn between the Maxx's and the ATZ P3's. Really comes down to snow performance for me but I think they are both pretty similar from what I have read and they are both made by Cooper. Anyone have input on that?

P2W

Observer
I'm torn between the Maxx's and the ATZ P3's. Really comes down to snow performance for me but I think they are both pretty similar from what I have read and they are both made by Cooper. Anyone have input on that?

I had the St Maxx on my "Dirty ol Dodge" 285-70 17s. I had no issues in the snow. I noticed that breaking the tires loose required some amount of aggressiveness with the go pedal. I put 30k mi on them then traded the DoD for a Taco.

KelticXJ

I had the St Maxx on my "Dirty ol Dodge" 285-70 17s. I had no issues in the snow. I noticed that breaking the tires loose required some amount of aggressiveness with the go pedal. I put 30k mi on them then traded the DoD for a Taco.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. The Maxx's are studable too so that's always an option if the winter gets that bad but CO winters have been pretty mild lately.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

Yes, both good choices and very similar. Cooper does own Mickey Thompson.

kuyawil

Just got the ST Maxx's installed on my Avalanche. Size is 305/60/18. Only drove about 70 miles on them but their on-road manners have been pleasantly surprising. Noise is not bad at all, very minimal and tolerable. Ride is a little harsher but I'll have to play around with the pressure to find the most comfortable ride. I'll update my experience as I put more time and miles on the tires. Here are some pictures for you though. Enjoy!

Side shot
161479983.UdaZJ7Eb.jpg

Tread shot
161480025.RADEsHo4.jpg

161480024.VnFNUoeu.jpg

Full side shot
161480030.whLVCqgt.jpg

MAXTRAX

Supporting Sponsor
_MG_4744.jpg

We run them on our 105-series Landcruiser and haven't had any issues, even after several desert crossings, a trip up Cape York, and a journey around the Great Australian Bight.

Seem to work well in sand and mud, while lasting a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC