Couple of Months Traveling Through Baja

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Give us a week or so to get everything squared away and it should be a good time to visit. Meeting with Beer & Wine Reps this week and having a fireplace built out in the tiki bar next week to take the chill off the night air and it should be ready to kick back and talk custom campers :friday:

meafordmike

Adventurer
Give us a week or so to get everything squared away and it should be a good time to visit. Meeting with Beer & Wine Reps this week and having a fireplace built out in the tiki bar next week to take the chill off the night air and it should be ready to kick back and talk custom campers :friday:
Does this mean when were there, we maybe will be able to kick back by the tiki bar?:sombrero:

BajaGeoff

Great trip report Pat! The photos are great...especially of the flying rays. So sorry your camera gear went for a swim though.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Does this mean when were there, we maybe will be able to kick back by the tiki bar?:sombrero:

Hopefully the fireplace and kinks will be worked out by then. We can talk about a future Baja Excursion

Great trip report Pat! The photos are great...especially of the flying rays. So sorry your camera gear went for a swim though.

Thanks Geoff, everything happens for a reason and although it sucked so bad at the time, we had insurance on the gear and got everything replaced once we got back to the states.

It ended up being a good thing because I was able to move up to a Canon 5D which I still own and love.

:sombrero:
Nice ! Still enjoying it.

Thanks. More to come as son as I get a chance to sit down for more than a few seconds at a time. It gets much more EXPO related during our 2nd month. So stay tuned

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Just so anyone reading could see the reality of how we normally post our blogs, I thought I'd post a section of my wifes blog from this same time.

Remember this trip report is from 2008 when we spent more than two months traveling the Baja Peninsula

Cindys Bog - Wednesday April 1st

Well this has been some of the most unbelievable past few days that I have seen in a while. I sit here this morning, reading through Pats blogs about the past few days events and I would really love to clarify a few things, either that or wring his neck.

East%20Cape%2012.JPG

My lovely husband has given his scenario of the over tipping of the kayak episode, but now you will here my side, or should I say what really happened.

We ended our evening on Saturday with plans to go kayaking in the afternoon on Sunday. We always try and get our gear in order before we go so that all I have to do is pack a lunch the next day and then head out.

As we were getting equipment and paddling gear ready, I told Pat that I didn't want to bring my camera or lenses since anything could happen. I suggested that he didn't bring his either, unless he put it in the Pelican Waterproof Boxes which we have in storage in the back of the truck. AH HA, the plot thickens!!

Pat then responded with something like "Don't be stupid, you can't get that close to those rays and expect me not to have a camera" I said "Fine then, bring your stuff, but not mine, I want to have at least one full set of equipment just in case you tip over." He thought that was real funny and was still appalled that I wouldn't bring my camera.

The next afternoon we got ourselves all suited up to drive to the beach so that we didn't have to carry our kayaks all the way down. We had already seen a couple people get stuck in the deep sugar sand, including a 6 wheeler that Pat put some photos of in his blog since he thought it was so funny.

Pat again commented on his disbelief of me not bringing my camera equipment and said the water was calm and he didn't need anything waterproofed since that was so cumbersome. On the way out of the RV Park, Sean, the owner, had asked if Pat wanted to go out on a fishing boat in the morning to try and get some photos for their website and brochures they were in the process of making.

Baja%2055.JPG

I asked Sean if he wanted both of us to go and he didn't seem like it was such a great idea. That is why I didn't go, I wasn't invited.

Anyway, we drove down to the beach and at one point I could see the sand was really deep, so I said "Pat, don't go any further than this, it gets to be real deep right there", remembering the last time he got us stuck in the sand when Sandy and Chuck were with us.

Of course Pat continues his acceleration of the truck until we were buried in the sand up to the running boards. I didn't say anything at this point and just got out of the truck stepping up onto the sand where a couple different groups of people were snickering at us stupid gringos just the same as we did the other day at the 6 wheeler.

As we brought the boats down off of the truck, Pat gave me one more "I can't believe you aren't bringing your camera! Just look at all those rays jumping." To this comment I said nothing and he got me set up and shoved me off into the water. After about 10 minutes I noticed that Pat was still struggling on the shore.

I turned around and watched him for a bit and noticed that his boat was being pulled into the water by the waves. I whistled real loud and yelled "Pat, your boat" there was no *************** to it, although looking at it now, it surely would have fit.

I saw that he looked panicky so I turned around and came back in. I pulled close to shore and asked what was wrong, to which he replied with a quivering voice, " I tipped over!" I asked him to pull me in to shore so that I could help him.

I asked if the camera got wet and he said "Yes." I walked over to the truck where I saw the Big Canon 1D and my favorite lens sitting on the front seat. As I picked it up to see if it got wet, water poured from all sides of it. The lens had droplets of water coming from inside the slide, trickling down the inner tube of it.

Think_Tank_Lens_Changer_35%20(3).JPG

I had saved for four months to buy that Canon 28-300L IS lens as a birthday present for Pat before we left to take this trip. Since then, I have sort of adopted it as my favorite piece of equipment since he prefers different lens and is always swapping them out where I can simply keep one lens on my 30D and be fine with it.

I then heard a popping sound and looked down to see three batteries, not just one or two but three big $120 batteries sizzling from the salt water bath. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and sat down in the sand closer to the water. As Pat scuttled around trying to get the 2 gig cards, all three of them, out of the deck bag so they might dry out, I just sat and stewed.

It was about this time that I lost it when he looked at me and said "I'm going back to the camper to get your camera and another lens so we can still go out!!!" ******, has he lost his mind? Is he a crack addict or something? Doesn't he know when to say when? Had he completely lost all sense of responsibility for his actions, be it accident or no accident? How can he even think of doing this to my camera now?

I said "There is no way you are going to take my camera into that boat!" His reply was, "I didn't come all the way down here and then not be able to kayak with these Flying Mobulas." Since when does kayaking require a camera?

That is when I said "You have just ruined our whole trip here in Mexico and now you want to do it again? I am not going to go kayaking with you! Do you want help putting the boats on the truck or not?" He didn't reply so I left him there to dig his embarrassed, stuck in the sand butt out by himself.

I walked back to the camper, crying the whole way, knowing that this meant I would no longer be able to take pictures since he would take over my camera. I have been so excited about my photos lately because I am getting really good at this stuff since we've been shooting on a daily basis and being able to critique my images while we're still in the area has really helped me improve. Now my trip will be completely different.

After I was home for about 45 minutes, I walked the dogs down to where Pat was on the beach. He was just then pulling up the dirt road that left the sandy beach. He stopped and I asked "How long were you stuck?" He snapped back saying "What are you just trying to rub it in?" then peeled off.

By this point I had cooled down and I came back to the camp site, went in and grabbed a cold beer for myself and brought one outside to Pat. I apologized for getting so upset since I knew it was an accident, but I just wished he would have listened to me. If he would have, we would still have the camera equipment and he wouldn't have spent an hour digging himself out of the sand in front of a dozen people.

I said lets not talk about it any more today and we will write it off as a huge loss. I wanted to say, "If I had done this, I would be walking home from Mexico" but I didn't.

The next morning, Pat took my camera and went out on a boat trip without me. I didn't even want to go, especially since I had nothing to do but watch HIM take the pictures. Instead I sat by the pool and read all day to keep my mind off of him.

So there you have it, the reality of the bad situation we ended up in. Its water under the bridge now, or should I say kayak. I figure I can use this as a get out of dumb free card for me to use as often as I see fit. I am just now feeling in the mood to blog again and I am glad I got that off of my chest. Sorry I don't have any photos for this long rant, but Pat ruined my lens!!!

So I thought I'd be fair and post up a section of my wifes blog from that time and show her side of the story. I'm man enough to show how stupid I was by showing my wifes side of the story which usually shows me in a completely different light...LOL

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Wednesday April 2nd

It was a hard decision to make, but we decided to pull up stakes in East Cape RV Park, and head further South for Cabo. We had been contacted by the editor of the Gringo Gazette, a local American newspaper, who had asked if she could use a few of our photos in the publication.

Her offices are in Cabo, and we had planned on heading that way anyway, so I emailed her saying when we get into town, we will call her and meet up.

Driving South from Los Barriles to Cabo isn't all that much fun. Once you get anywhere near Cabo, you hit a 4 lane highway, that was just bumper to bumper traffic. Something that we hadn't seen in over a month, and one of those things you never want to see, especially in a third world country.

423365430_SURb9-L-1.jpg

To drive in Mexico, you must be 100% alert at all times. Between the motorcycles, scooters and ATV's that split the traffic lanes, to the drivers who just don't think they need to obey the stop signs or merge lanes, this wasn't a fun drive to say the least.

Even though we said we had wanted to see Cabo San Lucas, just to say we had seen it, we were both ready to just roll right through without ever stopping.

We did find the campground that Lindsey (the editor) had recommended, Villa Serena, and parked the camper for the night. It had full hook-ups which was something we needed if we were going to be leaving the dogs in the camper in this heat while we went and explored the city.

I walked to a pay phone and called Lindsey tolet her know we had arrived, and she said her and her fiancée would meet us there in an hour or so.

The afternoon was roasting hot, and the slight breeze blowing off the ocean that was in sight felt great. Lindsey and Louis, pulled up and we sat around in the shade getting to know one another over a few cold ones.

We decided to head downtown and grab some dinner where we would have a great night of conversation and good laughs. This young couple had some great stories to tell, and Louis being from Mainland Mexico, kept us laughing all night with his different stories of childhood and growing up between the two countries.

Cabo%201.JPG

By the end of the night, we felt like ol' friends, and hadn't talked a bit about the pictures or the story we had originally planned on. That's what made the night so great, it was just casual conversation about adapting to life in the Baja for us and this couple who had just moved from New York. Talk about a culture shock!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thursday April 3rd

Waking up to our dog scratching his ears uncontrollably isn't the best way to start the morning. The past few days, Luca, the big Pit Bull, had developed a case of something in his ears that he wasn't too fond of.

Lindsey had told us about a local veterinarian that they had used and trusted, so we called her for directions and drove the dogs downtown to see if we could get him fixed up.

I thought that since his ears are big, and always drooped over, keeping them taped up might allow some air to circulate in there and dry up the moisture. I put some cloth tape from our First Aid Kit on his ears, pinning them together, which he seemed to love. He stopped scratching them and was as happy as could be.

But this didn't cure it 100%, and there is no need in making him suffer, so the vet would give us the details on what we needed to do. Hopefully this wouldn't break the bank with the cost of the vet's charges.

Cabo.JPG

About an hour in the vet's office, he had taken a sample of the ear canal and looked at it under the microscope, which ruled out ear mites. He told us it was probably just a Yeast Infection in the dogs ear canal, which he said is very common with some dogs, and can be caused by their food.

He gave us some drops and said if it doesn't go away, try switching his food and taking him back to a vet once we get back to the United States. We've had issues with him in the past and I knew this could be a very expensive ordeal to get it cleared up.

Side Note: Since then, we've found that switching to a Organic food that doesnt have any fillers, especially corn, he's yet to have ear problems again.

When I went to the counter to pay the bill, it said $300! I thought "Oh Man, these dogs are killing me!" But the woman said "300 Pesos"

That's only $30 American, which included the prescription medication. Not nearly as bad as I had expected, and I thought, man, I should have the doctor look me over while we're here.

We said goodbye to Lindsey who had met us at the office so I could give her a CD with some images on it, and left for Todos Santos. We figured driving through Cabo, with the 200 t-shirt shops and all the cruise ships in port was about enough as we needed of this big city.

Before we left, we stopped at the first Wal-Mart we had seen south of Ensenada. Our cupboards were looking mighty bare, and we thought we might as well stock back up for the next month heading back up the Peninsula.

Once on the road North, we were both happy to see almost no traffic going our way, and everything headed towards the hustle and bustle we always try and avoid.

Todos-Santos-Map.gif

It only takes a few minutes of driving North along HWY 19 before you're back into barren mountain sides lined with thick cactus forests. With the big Pacific Ocean on our left side, we were having trouble keeping our eyes on the road because of the beautiful views along the coastline.

Todos Santos is only 50 miles North of Cabo, but might as well be on a different planet for the diversity between the two cities. This little art community is almost all American ex-patriots who were in search of a simpler life and chose this little seaside village in Southern Baja.

You might recognize Todos Santos from the legendary Hotel California the Eagles made so famous. You know the one that you can never leave...I guess it's a major tourist attraction now and people take tour busses up from Cabo to come see it.[/COLOR] But Don Henley of the Eagles denies that this was the hotel he wrote the song about.

There is only one campground in the town, and when we pulled in, Cindy said aloud "I'll tell you right now, if it means driving at night in Baja, I'd rather risk it than stay here."

The Camp Host came out to greet us, and over the multiple barking dogs chained up in the place, the first thing she asked was "Are your dogs nice?"

Cindy said "Yep, and they don't bark either!"

The woman said, "Good, because those damn dogs never shut up!"

We asked if there was anywhere to camp along the beach, as Todos Santos is about a mile inland and the temperatures were really hot when you got away from the ocean breeze. She told us about Playa Los Cerritos which was about 7 miles back down the road. But warned us that the surf can be very dangerous, they've been know to run people off and we might get stuck in the sand.....and it's dry camping. Sounds like our kinda place!

We said, "We'll give it a try", and whipped around heading for the beach.

Between Mile Marker 64 and 65, we found a graded dirt road with only a small sign for Los Cerritos Beach Club & Surf. We figured that had to be some kind of joke, since why would there be a beach club out here in the middle of no where that was only advertised with a small hand painted sign on the side of the road.

Cerritos%201.JPG

But after a few miles of bumpy washboard dirt road, we pulled up to a beautiful beachfront tiki bar, overlooking some amazingly huge surf pounding the secluded shoreline.

There were cars everywhere, surfers playing in the water, some tents set-up on the beach and a few motorhomes who had found this secret surf spot along the beach. I walked up to the bartender asking if there were any rules to camping along the beach? He just said "As long as you don't set-up your camp right in front of the bar, you can camp anywhere you want."

Now most of the places we've run into on the Baja, are pretty laid back, but this brought me back to my days of working as a cabana boy on the beach in South Florida. Cerritos Beach Club has luxury beach chairs, tables and umbrellas set up in front of the tiki bar. On top of that, they have a few servers, good looking ones that Cindy was already eyeing, who were serving drinks, lunch or anything else you might request right to you on the beach. I think we found home for the next few days!

It was amazing how calm the waters were on the Sea of Cortez side just a few days ago, but here on the Pacific side, we were watching 6-8 foot waves pounding the shore. Surfers were everywhere enjoying the constant supply of rollers coming in, and to sit and watch them through a camera lens, was just as much fun for me as it was for them to get pounded by Mother Natures awesome tides.

Cerritos.JPG

When Cindy and I were walking up to the beach, a young guy asked us about our camper, the usual, "Is that a rental?"

We got to talking with Brad, an American who actually worked here at the bar who told us some info about the place.

Cerritos Beach Club is going to be a top notch resort area when it's finally finished. Right now they are just in the developing stages, but the bar is as First Class as I've seen here in the Baja. Phenomenal service, very reasonable prices and just the right amount of Americanism to make you feel at home, but still let you know you're in Baja.

I liked the big plasma screens showing the American Speed Channel over the bar, the tables on the beach with propane fireplaces in the center, and the beach rentals which included surfboards, boogie boards and jet skis if you were brave enough to take your chances with the pounding surf.

Cerritos%202.JPG

Brad even said they rented Lap Tops by the hour if you needed to catch up on some emails while at the beach relaxing. Now, I've seen internet cafes, but never the rental of the lap top itself and especially not on the beach with a salty margarita to go along with it. This is as top notch as they come!

I think we sat talking with Brad till the sun set and most of the surfers had retired to their tents along the beach. As the night air got a bit cooler, one of the waiters brought out nice thick Mexican Woven Blankets for us to cover up in while sitting out on the beach. Does it get any better than this?

When we camped along Playa Santispac, we were lulled to sleep each night with the comfortable sounds of the calm ocean water lapping at the sandy shore. Tonight we sat listening to the surf booming as it struck the shoreline like thunderstorms off in the distance. The cool breeze blowing off the Pacific Ocean had us fighting over the blankets, but surely not complaining for the perfect sleeping weather.

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Cool.

Man I've gone to look at Kayaks twice in the last week... no thanks to you!

:coffeedrink:

Haha!!

My next boat will either be a Wilderness Systems Tarpon or a Perception Search

I was looking at the Native Manta Ray but I'm not sure if I like how high the side of it are. I like the Native Company as a whole and was surprised when I sent an email asking for some literature on their boats, I heard back from the owner of the company saying that his favorite place to paddle in the United States is our home town.

He said he had checked out my website and the next time he comes into town to paddle, he'd be sure to stop by and have a beer at the tiki bar. Now how many times do you send a email and hear a responce like that??

Makes me want to buy one of the boats simply for the customer service

Sorry for getting slightly off topic--- but I know its a hobby of yours so not really off topic. Heh.
I'm speaking for my wife and myself when I say this, but I dont know if I'd want a boat over 10 feet? I doubt we'd ever get out into open water like you guys were doing. My wife absolutely hates being on water when she cant see in. She doesn't mind a swimming pool or crystal clear Caribbean water... but get her out on a lake or river and she wont touch the water! That being said, I doubt we would get very far from shore if we were to use a kayak. I like mangroves though. Absolutely love them. Especially if there is a chance of seeing gators or crocs. I don't know what I'm getting at here, but I'm wondering you input? Are the 10+ feet worth it for occasional recreational type paddling?

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Sorry for getting slightly off topic--- but I know its a hobby of yours so not really off topic.

Are the 10+ feet worth it for occasional recreational type paddling?

I dont think this is off topic at all.

Paddling in-land lakes or smal rivers, the smaller 12' and under boats would probably be your best bet and they're much easier to handle as they're very stable because they're usually wider.

Paddling Baja and the long stretches of open water and especially the tropical waters where it's so inviting to jump off the kayak and go for a swim, I'd recommend the longer 12'+ Sit On Top sytle of kayaks with a rudder. There were plenty of times the winds would pick up and that rudder makes all the difference in the world in keeping you on track

This trip was the kicker for Cindy and I and we've both been saving up to get a couple of those boats I linked to in the post above this one.

If and when we go back to Baja, we'll have sit on tops and a full underwater housing for at least one of the cameras.

Yeah, we were looking at kayaks on craigslist earlier. quite a few sit on tops for cheap. Too bad we already blew our Christmas budget and cant buy ourselves anything...

Can't wait for the next installment.

1speed

Explorer
I dont think this is off topic at all.

Paddling in-land lakes or smal rivers, the smaller 12' and under boats would probably be your best bet and they're much easier to handle as they're very stable because they're usually wider.

Paddling Baja and the long stretches of open water and especially the tropical waters where it's so inviting to jump off the kayak and go for a swim, I'd recommend the longer 12'+ Sit On Top sytle of kayaks with a rudder. There were plenty of times the winds would pick up and that rudder makes all the difference in the world in keeping you on track

This trip was the kicker for Cindy and I and we've both been saving up to get a couple of those boats I linked to in the post above this one.

If and when we go back to Baja, we'll have sit on tops and a full underwater housing for at least one of the cameras.

Here's your Baja boat. I have this one and highly recommend it. http://www.cobrakayaks.com/expedition.html

INSAYN

Adventurer
I vote Hobie Revolution with the Mirage drive unit. You have the opportunity to peddle, or paddle depending on what you are doing. Pedaling gives you the opportunity to work a camera or cast a lure while traveling along with your feet. My Revo can get up to 6+ mph, and cruise the water like a dream.

If you don't want the expense of the Hobie, then I'd suggest the Ocean Kayak Trident 13, as it has mad storage between your feet. Easy to sink 2 or 3 seven to eight foot rods under deck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal