CPT (Composite Panel Technologies) Slide In Camper Shell Build, AKA "Yes, Dear, I think this will definitely be my last one...."

NOPEC

This build is a work in progress and it will take me a couple of posts to catchup to where I am now....

Part 1

Last fall, I took delivery of an 8ft slide in camper shell from CPT in Kelowna, BC. CPT and their sister company (Canadian Commercial Vehicles) are well known in western Canada for building both truck bodies and their very popular composite body MTCs ("Mobile Treatment Centers") which slide into any 8ft pickup truck box.

When I initially contacted them, they advised me that they were in the early stages of designing a line of campers based on their MTC units. We found some common ground and as a result, struck a deal that would ultimately see me be a guinea pig for their first camper, in exchange for my having considerable input into the design of it.

I have been wanting to downsize both our current camper and truck with the intent of reducing the total size in both footprint and weight (plus an excuse for another build..). So we opted for a plain jane GMC 3/4 ton regular cab with a gas engine and the custom CPT camper shell. The previous set up has been just great but it was time to try something different.

Being generally minimalists and never having had a blank shell to start a build with, our planning became as much about what we didn't want as much as what we did want. Like many, we view a truck camper as a place for warm, dry, safe and convenient accommodation but not as a lifestyle, per se. What we do when we “get there” is our lifestyle, the truck and camper mostly just facilitate it, for us anyway.

As far as the initial build of the shell was concerned, it was quite easy to do as the design was simple. The CPT engineering staff was great and we exchanged a multitude of CAD drawing until we both had pretty much exactly what we wanted. Basically, it was designed so that the camper fit to the truck as tightly as it could, within reason, it had an east/west cab over sleeping area (52 inch wide), a windowless door and no windows or hatches, etc. There is a good chance that we will eventually thru bolt the camper to the truck box to make it semi permanent and the CPT units come standard with the necessary floor support for this to easily be done. CPT both make and CNC cut their own composite panels right on site which in itself, was fun to see and be a tiny part of.

I'll get into more detail as I get further into this thread but two of the major areas of design were to first to push as much weight as possible down low and secondly, maintain as much of the thermal benefit of using exterior composite panels as we could, by designing the various systems to minimize the number holes we put in the shell.

Currently, the battery, water (55 liters), the sink gray water container, chest fridge, propane tank, furnace, heavy item storage locker and portable toilet are all situated on the inside floor. All of the plumbing is modular in order to be easily removable so as to do away with winterizing.

Currently, the "hole count" in the shell so far is; (1) 2x 450mmx900mm Arctic Tern windows, placed as far forward and high as the CPT engineer recommended, 2) the windowless door, 3) propane locker floor vent, 4) exhaust and combustion air ports for the Propex furnace. A little later I will get to the sealed shore and DC external connections and a cabin floor fresh air vent. The initial plan is to have no roof vents, instead, we are going to be using a convertible fan to move air as needed, out and in of the single louvre AT windows. The fan will have predetermined "stations" which will have an attachment point for it as well as, a cigarette lighter style of DC power source. Feed of the roof solar wiring will be vial non-ferrous vertical bolts, no glands or other holes for the panels or wiring. PV panel is flexible glue on.

Pickup Day

1709868350427.png

Drawings are great but my CAD (cardboard assisted design) 3D works best for my brain..... I divided the interior into 9 inter-connected modules and then built a full size "model" just to test drive the whole set up prior to getting down to the actual build. Again for me, it was definitely time well spent as we headed off a few issues and made changes at the beginning instead on the fly.

1709870000937.png

1709870109590.png

Old PortiPotty for a model only, we have a much more swish version now (pick your battles...)

P8200766.JPG

I had thought of taking a run at doing all of the inside with composite panelling but for me in the end, being an old dog, I am more comfortable working with wood so I opted to stick with Baltic Birch Plywood. All of the cleats are solid wood. The weight saving would have been nice but we have considerable free board with the 3/4 ton truck and the initial starting weight of 750 pounds for the camper, so it isn't a big deal.

So, the fun began.

1709870189392.png

I am getting along nicely on the build and am really happy with the way it has progressed. Having done several "moulded" fiberglass shell projects in the past, I have to say that I am loving working on something that is both new and especially, has all of these wonderful flat surfaces and 90 degree angles!!!!

Part 2 will be coming up soon......

Last edited:

Jake's_dad

Looking forward to following your progress.

What are the dimensions of the cabover?

What was the cost for the bare shell? I have been interested in building one out, but the cost has put me off.

NOPEC

Looking forward to following your progress.

What are the dimensions of the cabover?

What was the cost for the bare shell? I have been interested in building one out, but the cost has put me off.
Hi Jake's dad

Thanks for your interest. The ballpark dimensions of the interior cabover are 31" high, 54" long and 80" wide.

As far as cost, I received the "guinea pig" :) price on the build so you would have to contact CPT direct as far as current costs go, as I am out of the loop in that regard. cheers

Trail Talk

Thanks Dean. Speaking of journeys, when are you guys leaving for the Mackenzie River Delta? I am just a little jealous....

But, we did get a chunk of funding from the RCGSociety to help with our expensive air resupply this summer on Great Slave Lake so that compensates, a little!!
Great news! Will they land or airdrop? I ask because we will have to figure out an airdrop resupply later this summer and I could use any tips on packaging.

We’re leaving for Aklavik next week…

NOPEC

Dude!!! Love the CAD.

Definitely following this one.
Thanks. I think cardboard CAD is a great option for us who are spacially challenged. In my case, a neighour had just received this circus sized monster deck gazebo tent in a huge flatpack and he was delighted to part with the packing cardboard. I ended up with enough large double strength sheets to do two campers and after he figured it all out, I even got a couple of beers out it for helping him, in the shade of course!!

Last edited:

NOPEC

Great news! Will they land or airdrop? I ask because we will have to figure out an airdrop resupply later this summer and I could use any tips on packaging.

We’re leaving for Aklavik next week…
Dean
We are having our resupply this summer via a wheel equipped Cessena twin engined "Skymaster" which our friend in Hay River just happens to own. Other than being interested in the lost Franklin expedition, he is also an avid pilot and is flying back to King William Island this summer to do more ariel surveys on areas we did not have time to look at on the ground last summer.

We have permission to land and resupply on a private gravel strip at a fishing lodge on the north shore of Great Slave Lake. With his engine "redundancy", he has no issue with flying straight across the lake and assures us that the beer will still be cold and the pizza warm when we meet up with him. After weeks of one pot surprise suppers, the pizza may end up as one of our trip highlights!!

What are your plans this summer that require an airdrop, you have got me very interested!! I'm no expert but we have done a few with both fixed and rotary wing aircraft. cheers Bob

NYON

Wow, this looks like it's going to be a great build and thanks for taking us along for the ride!! Quick question, what kind of panel composition (outer skin/inner material/inner skin) did you go with for this build? Did you have any specific requirement for the type of panel they used to make your camper? Looking forward to your progress, hopefully you'll be able to use it this summer!

Trail Talk

Dean
We are having our resupply this summer via a wheel equipped Cessena twin engined "Skymaster" which our friend in Hay River just happens to own. Other than being interested in the lost Franklin expedition, he is also an avid pilot and is flying back to King William Island this summer to do more ariel surveys on areas we did not have time to look at on the ground last summer.

We have permission to land and resupply on a private gravel strip at a fishing lodge on the north shore of Great Slave Lake. With his engine "redundancy", he has no issue with flying straight across the lake and assures us that the beer will still be cold and the pizza warm when we meet up with him. After weeks of one pot surprise suppers, the pizza may end up as one of our trip highlights!!

What are your plans this summer that require an airdrop, you have got me very interested!! I'm no expert but we have done a few with both fixed and rotary wing aircraft. cheers Bob

Oops, sorry I don’t mean to hijack your build thread. I’ll send a pm when we get back from this trip.

NOPEC

Wow, this looks like it's going to be a great build and thanks for taking us along for the ride!! Quick question, what kind of panel composition (outer skin/inner material/inner skin) did you go with for this build? Did you have any specific requirement for the type of panel they used to make your camper? Looking forward to your progress, hopefully you'll be able to use it this summer!
Hi Nyon
Sorry I somehow missed your post and questions. The panels are a FRP/EPS foam/FRP sandwich, 1 and 1/2 inches thick. CPT did not have any options on panel type or thickness when I ordered mine at the beginning of their manufacturing cycle. I think they may have gone to 2 inch thick panels now but I am not sure. I was initially a little hung up on the use of EPS vs XPS foam but after a bit of research on each in terms of industrial application, I have no concern at all.
Build is going smilingly and will defintely be using it on a northern trip this summer!

Last edited:

NYON

Hi Nopec, no problem, between life and building your camper I'm sure there's a lot on your plate! 😀 Thanks for letting us know about the panel sandwich. Yeah, I'm guessing when you're out there enjoying a remote campsite in your camper EPS or XPS will somehow fade into the background...😎

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger