Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Ok so I received some suggestions and was told that the adapter plate is just scrap metal as far as im concerned. So I removed it and bolt the bellhousing directly to the block.
e7ypazas.jpg

And ive decided to use a different block than what I was previously working on. So I cleaned the head gasket mounting surface and 180000 miles of carbon from the piston tops. With a brass wire brush, of course, and plenty of elbow grease.

8yqudu3a.jpg

yhu8u4eg.jpg

I still need to clean the dust from the cylinders.

I'll lap the valves and then finish cleaning head before reinstalling it, hopefully sometime this week.

I got the bottom end of the 3FE buttoned up last night. I hope to finish reassembling the head tonight after changing the motor mounts in my wife's car...

I didn't get to the reassembly yet. I'm having a hard time not cleaning everything first! Any recommendations on how to clean the rocker arm assembly? Should I disassemble it (I really don't wanna'!) or is it possible to clean effectively by dipping it in some type of solvent, diesel, degreaser, etc. ? If I dip it and then clean it, what will I need to do to ensure everything has enough lubrication on the few moving parts that it has?

Thanks

Got the valve springs and valves installed. I had the rocker arm installed too.... Until I realized I installed the central tube R.O.N.G. let's just say I'm glad I have spares.... The problem was that I disassembled and cleaned the rocker arm and reinstalled the central tube upside down. There are small reliefs machined into the tube to allow for the bolts. Let's just say I ¡stupidly! forced the bolts..... I knew something was wrong but of course being tired and playing mechanic isn't a wise decision...

qezyraje.jpg

Finally! Progress!

uploadfromtaptalk1380511739855.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380511782299.jpg

pytenyre.jpg

Will be sand blasting and repainting a valve cover ( I have one in better condition) as well as the exhaust and intake manifolds. I tried to install the new water pump but they shorted me the gasket...

I haven't had the opportunity to work on the truck for a whole semester of masters level university. Me? No, I'm not that smart. My wife has just finished her final semester for her Masters and graduates this Saturday. I missed my personal goal of Thanksgiving, but I haven't had time to go to therapy since I've been playing Mr. Mom for a while. Thankfully, therapy starts again soon!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Scott-

Just thumbed through your build and it looks great! Best of luck on getting it finished soon and congratulations to your wife.

So....... therapy was bad today. I've made negative progress... reverting back to haste and anger. I feel shameful.

I discovered today that the Fel-Pro gasket kit that I ordered quite a few months ago is for the 2F engine. The part number difference? HS9833PT-1 for the 2F and HS9833PT for the 3FE.

In haste and anger, I ripped the head back off (I was putting the fuel injection parts back on!) fearing that the 2F head gasket was RONG. Only afterwards did I then compare the part numbers and photos of the head gasket kits for the 3FE and 2F. Guess what, the head gaskets themselves are the same. So the million dollar question, can I put the head gasket back on? I treated it delicately and had it torqued down correctly. But inexperience in this department has me questioning being able to re-use it in this instance. Otherwise I'll probably buy a cheaper replacement...

...Or I might claim this to be the straw that broke the camels back, and stick a Chevy V8 in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh