Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Thanks. Yeah, the situation is not ideal. There is a TON of junk still in the fuel tank... but I won't be able to tackle that until after I get back from the UK. Leaving next week.

Well, I finally got the motivation to start working on the cruiser again. And poof, the motivation vanished again.

In February, my wife and I made a trip to England. I had just reinstalled the engine a couple of weeks prior, and was working out some bugs to get it running. While we were gone, we had a winter weather event... where it got down to about SEVEN BLOODY DEGREES! Seeing as though I wasn't planning on a freeze and planned on further flushing the cooling system. I only put water in the radiator/cooling system.

As luck would not have it... during that freeze event, the truck was parking on an incline. Only one freeze plug was pushed out. Knowing that this was bad, I lost the motivation to do any further work on the truck. So yesterday, several months later, when I regained that interest, I went out and filled the radiator and then started the truck. I ran it for a few minutes and although it was running at a high RPM (1500-2000) It was running smoothly with little noise. But I checked the dipstick, and sure enough..... milk shake. I'm going to change the oil with some cheap stuff and see if the block really is cracked... crossing my fingers at least.

Otherwise, a few months from now, I may install a Vortec engine of some sort.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I am not totally familiar with the 2F/3F but there is probably a few freeze plugs in the head under the valve cover. Worth looking to see. I had the exact same thing happen to my bling bling diesel. We got a 15* night in early September and the coolant in the engine (put in by the builder) was not good to that temp. I had milkshake and freaked. I saved pulling the valve cover for last to keep things fairly clean under there while I worked. I pulled the valve cover last when I was ready to pull the head and I found a freeze plug had poped in the head. No cracked block!

If the block is bad, a 5.7L vortec is really a cheap engine to buy compared to even a used 5.3L. While no speed demon the 5.7L vortec has plenty of power and nice torque at low rmps, especially for what I suspect you will use the truck for.

Cheers

I don't recall any freeze plugs under the valve cover. I replaced the one on the side of the head. There's at least one freeze plug on either end of the head too.

I'm thinking the combo that you have in your 80 would work out nicely in the cruiser. Vortec with the 4l60E. Its cheaper than going the NV4500 route too. Plus, I honestly prefer automagic transmissions.

Expedition Leader
There is at least one small freeze plug on top of the head, towards the front IIRC. Look at one of your other heads on the shelf. :)

Looks like quite a few in the head...

2843508803_d2dcd05655_z.jpg

No suerte with the freeze plugs under the valve cover. I was hoping to give Ian a big wet sloppy kiss.... but no. All the freeze plugs are tight.

What is concerning is that there is quite a bit of moisture under the valve cover. Enough to need to soak it up with a rag to see the freeze plugs....

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
HOLY water in the oil Batman!!!! Sorry man, I know that's definitely NOT what you wanted to see when you pulled that plug aye. What was that they say??? Something about pictures and a thousand words??? I think that picture says two thousand or more.

Cheers

Dave

It seems as if my projects are community adventures. Another idea was shared with me this morning. The throttle body is water cooled. I had water in the intake tube between the AFM and the TB (and in the TB). So I reckon my next step is to pull the TB and check for cracks. I have two spares... thankfully. This could also explain my high idle as well.

Fingers crossed. But if it doesn't work out, I just talked to my father in law about a 96 or 97 chevy pickup with a 5.7 Vortec that I can have...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk