Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Thanks Will! There is just something classy, maybe even sexy, about the 60s that gets me going. I think the goal will be to slowly bring the old girl up to be a comfortable and reliable explorer. The idea of a modern Chevy powerplant is certainly weighing heavily on my mind. Phase two of course. We'll see how the 3FE and the H42 combo stands up to my expectations.

I finally drove 1911's son Ross's 60 with the h55 and 2F. The power was tolerable and fairly better than anticipated. I suspect similar or better on with mine.

I don't really have a heavy foot, but enjoy having the power when I need or want it. I'd like to use my montero as a standard. With 33s and stock gearing, the 200someodd horsepower it produces has never left me feeling like it was under powered. 250 HP available on tap would be downright lovely in the cruiser. And will probably be what I start aiming for next. Good fuel economy would also be appreciated.

The sad part is, I just did some calculations the other night and realized had I spent just a few hundred more, I could have easily installed the Vortec 4.8 that Ian and I have discussed a few times.

Last edited:
I received a PM from Shmabs asking to humor him with where I planned to source parts to do a conversion.

To be brutally honest, I'm one patient son of a gun. I held out for almost a year waiting for the right deal to come along for the drive shafts. Local guys wanted $250+ EACH for the shafts, but I had both shipped (from Alabama to Texas) plus some other parts I needed for a budget friendly $180. I've seen the GM to Toyota adapters (normally $1000-ish new) sell for $350. I'd wait for a similar deal. The adapters are solid chunks of metal, as long as they're not broken in some unlikely way, they're not going to be bad! I'd most likely keep as many stock drive train components as possible to avoid the 'can-o-worms' effect. The LC transmissions and transfer case are easily capable of handling the power of the modest 4.8 vortec, plus some. The only thing I'd really need to buy new is the wiring harness adapters.

My earlier numbers regarding only needing a few hundred dollars more really indicates the wiring harness. I bought two 3FE engines for the price of 3 decent, low mileage 4.8 engines, or two decent 5.3s.... I will say that it's nice that all of the 3FE stuff slips in and bolts into place in the engine bay. But the reality is, this truck is over 25 years now. The engine puts out approximately 155hp and 220ft lbs, vs +100hp and +70ftlb for the 4.8 vortec. With the potential of getting 20mpg on the hwy.... vs hopefully 15.

Can I stop in at the Oreilly in Rock Springs, WY and pick up a starter off the shelf for my 3FE? I doubt it, I was lucky that they had one start for my Montero! Now, given a 4.8 or 5.3.... they'll ask "which choice of starter would you like? We have 3 dozen brands to choose from. Brand new for $20 each. Or, go to Wal-Mart and get the "Great Value" brand for $10." -Slight exaggeration and a load of sarcasm, but you get the point.

The good news is that I'll be able to enjoy driving the truck for now (well, soon) while I start collecting the parts needed to do the conversion. I just need to find a plan and stick to it.... like I've done with the 3Fe.

Ian hits on quite a few points in his recent thread, http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121263-The-great-engine-swap-debate!

I could go on and on.... but, that's all I've got to say about that.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
You know me Scott, I been telling you for awhile to go v8. You can think about it twelve ways to Sunday but in the end the v8 just makes sense.

4.8 is a great motor and cheaper to acquire compared to other v8's. The 5.7L vortec in my current 80-series is also a great motor and cheap to buy, new or used. it is older though and won't give the mpg a newer v8 will. The 5.7L in my 80 has 250hp and 330ish ftlbs. It is plenty to move this heavy truck around and it is heavier than a 60. It is no speed demon but it feels just right. Parts are dirt cheap. I took it to the dunes, a real test for power and the Vortec in a 5200lbs truck did just fine.

Keep in mind if you go v8 you must adapt it in some way. So even if you find a cheap v8 with all the wiring and ECU you still need an adapter of some sort. Honestly, in my opinion your best bet is the Advanced Adapters Ranger OD gear box. New they are around $1800 but I saw one used in the last 6 months for $400. The Ranger lets you bolt the v8 directly to your 4spd. It retains stock location of the trans & t-case which means no driveline mods. You turn your 4spd into an 8spd! No problem at all doing 70-80mph after this with the 4spd, as you have made 4th gear an OD with roughly .73:1. You can even split any of your gears when in 4wd low. Other adapters allow you to put a GM auto trans in front of the 60 split case. Or if I recall right, v8 to NV4500 to adapter to split case.

Any ways, if you ever do go v8, I strongly recommend using the Ranger OD box, your 4spd and the 60 split case. It is just about a perfect set up, easily as good as an H55 if not better. By far it is also the best bang for the buck.

Cheers

Yeah! I saw that $400 Ranger OD but missed it by a couple of weeks! I would have done it and am looking for a similar deal. Let me know if you spot one.

I think my hesitation stems from my inexperience and concern for screw ups but I'm learning and realizing it's not that complicated. To be honest, I sold my first 62 because I cracked the valve cover off and saw the amount of sludge under there.... Now, here I am a couple years later, rebuilt a couple of engines (with help and encouragement from friends) and even doing the 4spd conversion. The v8 is the next step I reckon.

All it takes is an inch of effort and a can of willingness to learn.... and sometimes a BFH.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Not hard at all really for a guy like you. Just got to get over the initial "what if I screw up" delima. Look at it this way, if you pay for somebody to do it and they screw up, it is a big hassle. If you do it and screw up you learn a big lesson and I am betting don't make the same mistake twice.

I was taking apart a t-case today. Surprisingly simple, as easy as any axle I have ever worked on.

Cheers

Cranked the engine over!! Sounded healthy. No fuel in the line and haven't installed the cooling system, so I just let it spin for a few seconds.

Picked up an Optima yellow top to use for my auxiliary battery mainly to run the fridge independently from the starting battery. I bought the battery as deal I couldn't refuse. A brand new old one at O'Reilly, for $58. They test and ensure full charge before the sale.

amezusez.jpg

4a4avyjy.jpg

Just about there! Need to finish paint on the fan shroud and install. Need to back the truck out and rinse the cooling system better and replace a couple more hoses, add some fuel, then try starting, then tweak the timing and such.

Well, my level of optimism was in fact too ambitious. Of course the truck wouldn't just start right up and be able to drive around the block.

The conclusion from last night's and today's diagnosis is that the fuel pump needs replacement. The engine would turn over, but after inspection, there is only a trickle of fuel coming out of the fuel line on the tank side of the fuel filter.

I am certainly feeling the "nickle and dime" aspect of this build. Trying to get it all done as quickly (and as right) as possible is taxing. Fortunately I have a great set of friends to help fill in my knowledge gaps.

Unfortunately the fuel pump is inaccessible without dropping the tank, a task I don't really want to do... but will. But, thinking long term, I may cut an access hatch to be able to service the fuel pump if it were ever needed on the trail or a road trip. Heaven forbid it happen on either, I rarely go below 1/4 of a tank.

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about the fuel pump. If it makes you feel any better, Toyota did add an access panel in the floor of the FJ80 just for servicing the fuel pump without having to drop the tank. My FJ80 is still on it's factory original fuel pump at 300,000+ miles. Let me know if you need some help dropping the tank.

Expedition Leader
Also, check the fuel pressure regulator, and make sure the filter isn't plugged up, before you drop the tank.

Sorry to hear about the fuel pump. If it makes you feel any better, Toyota did add an access panel in the floor of the FJ80 just for servicing the fuel pump without having to drop the tank. My FJ80 is still on it's factory original fuel pump at 300,000+ miles. Let me know if you need some help dropping the tank.

Your transmission jack would probably be super useful for the job!!!

You just gave me the idea of finding a parts 80, cutting out the access panel and welding it into my truck! I'm sure the cargo area isn't much different, it'd certainly look better than what I could cobble together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk