Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Expedition Leader
Looks good and heavy-duty. Did your welder do that in a single pass? If so, I'm impressed.

Yeah. Went slow with long and 3/4 overlapped circles. I think the weld may be a little cold though. The bluing isn't consistent across the back but the bolt holes are definitely a shiny blue. The color of the metal has definitely changed around the welds though. But I'm too much of a novice to know much better.

Expedition Leader
I bet it's plenty good enough for the application - it's not like a suspension or drive train part that is continually being stressed; all it has to do is stay in one place and hold some weight.

Correct. And I'll add a pair of angled gussets on one side od each mount to increase its overall strength... besides the somewhat questionable weld, the mounts will be beedier than the stock units.

Now if only I could find drive shafts.

eba3ynav.jpg

I got the transmission tunnel cover adapted to fit the transmission lever. Eyeballed the placement and missed by half an inch on one axis. Perfectly fine though. Bolted the 62s tcase lever rubber boot in place but the 60tcase lever is smaller diameter. That will be temporary until I find the proper boots for both levers.

I'm not sure if I previously mentioned it, but I modified the support bracket on the tcase lever to allow for 2wd low range. Cool, in my book.

Thanks! This is my second 62 but the first didn't last that long in my ownership (loss of employment) so I'm happy to have this one! I love the styling of the 60 series Classy and adventurous.

Better pics of the heat from the welds.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389313081442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389313081442.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389313093435.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389313093435.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
Glad thats finished. Since I dont have a torch I had to heat up the plate again and stretch it on the vice.... dang warpage. Thats what I get for welding on the floor. Not to work on the other side. These brackets are taking way too long.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389367119084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389367119084.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 13
And that's that!

Maybe If I had the truck up on a kift it wouldnt take me so long to finish these brackets. Working on the floor takes so much longer!

Manual transmission ('87 Toyota H42 ) installed in place of the auto with custom cross member brackets.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389491018276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389491018276.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 12
Nope! Still missing a couple of parts for the EFI and the driveshafts. Since I'm doing it all on a shoestring budget I have to do a lot of shopping. I finally found the drive shafts and the trans boots for a reasonable price and they are on the way!

For those who know, is this stupid blower even necessary for the 3fe? I thought it was for the carbureted engines?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389566968855.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389566968855.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No, the carb cooling fan can be ditched with the EFI setup, not going to get much heat sink from the manifold to the float bowl on a 3FE :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal