Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

No, the carb cooling fan can be ditched with the EFI setup, not going to get much heat sink from the manifold to the float bowl on a 3FE :D

Yeah, I guess vapor lock isn't an issue, aye?

Oh and I guess another minor detail to work out is the hydraulic line between the clutch slave and master. I've got only the small flex line that reaches to the firewall that connects to the hard lines that I don't have.

I'll probably just get some flexible brake line to route between the two. Open to suggestions.

Ran into yet another minor issue tonight, the plug for the Mean Green alternator is different than the one on the wiring harness. I hope that there is a difference in the years or should I call Mean Green to see whats up?

1484722_10100166892139231_287879692_n.jpg

1496666_10100166892164181_1981685278_n.jpg

Otherwise, I spent a few more minutes hooking stuff up.
1511174_10100166892104301_2046286024_n.jpg

I just looked it up and Mean Green's part number goes from 1988-92, covering the 3FE entirely. So I wonder if there is an adapter missing or if I need to get creative??

Expedition Leader
I just looked it up and Mean Green's part number goes from 1988-92, covering the 3FE entirely. So I wonder if there is an adapter missing or if I need to get creative??

Scott, I have a Mean Green in my 40. I had to make my own sub-harness, mostly because I was going from an external voltage regulator to the internally-regulated Mean Green. I'll see if I can find my installation instructions, though they're probably online at Mean Green. Yours should be pretty simple. It needs 12v on-with-ignition for the exciter circuit in the alt., and another wire from the alt. to your "charge" indicator idiot light (if you have one - don't know on a 62). If it's not on Mean Green's web site, then realize that the Mean Green is just a beefed-up GM alternator and wiring diagrams for them are all over the interwebs. Other than that, just a BIG charge cable (+) from the alt to the battery and big ground cables to the battery and the frame and engine block for good measure.

P.S. - you'll have some help tomorrow, Ross is coming up to see you.

Lovely.

On the note of electricity... I'm also going to build two new battery trays. The original is a completely rusted. If anyone is interested and didnt know, the FJ62 battery trays can be flipped, so to speak, and fit on both sides.

I forgot these engines keep the middle east rich.... 2 gallons of oil! Good grief!!!

I plan to run the engine a couple hundred miles and then change the oil. Good thing Rotella is cheap!

Expedition Leader
I forgot these engines keep the middle east rich.... 2 gallons of oil! Good grief!!!

I plan to run the engine a couple hundred miles and then change the oil. Good thing Rotella is cheap!

Part of the genius of the F-series design. Helps keep oil in the oil pump intake no matter what angle of hill you are going up or down. Also helps cool that cast-iron beast.

But go ahead and use up all that oil - I'll find more! :)

bomar

Adventurer
battery trays are the same for both sides....the support is different. I hope to make it up soon to help.

bomar

Adventurer
I need to check but I might have another stock one. I had two batteries at one point never hooked up so pulled it out.

Bolted right in. Another reason I went with the older h42 vs the plethora of other options. uploadfromtaptalk1390272562691.jpg

While I was under there I started draining the fuel tank. I plan to drop the tank and clean it thru the fuel pump hole. Now I have to find a new home for hopefully less than a full tank of old fuel...
Thump tested the tank and I thought it was almost empty... well nearly six gallons later and im out of bucket....uploadfromtaptalk1390272924353.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal