Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Outside… bah, wus. :D
You’ve not lived till you’ve broken off the bead with a bottle jack to fix a broken valve stem on an inner dually on a dirt road.
That sounds terrible! I'd probably just throw the good tire on the outside and limp my way to a tire shop. Putting beads on is a lot easier than taking them off.

Been following this since the beginning. Love the raw trials and tribulations paired with an awesome build. Can't wait to see more.
Thank, glad you can make it to the show!

What a view... !!!!!
Comfy bed sheets, the sound of running water from the river, and a vise to make it all complete !!!!!!
What is there not to love !!!!!
Breaking down less would be nice. :cool:

That jeepers creeper mat is pretty neat - worth the money?
If you break down on the road as much as I do, yes, worth it as something to keep in the vehicle for over the road fixes. Not sure how long the Velcro will last, but I just keep those up out of the dirt.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Learning the limitations of this vehicle. That's all I got.

PXL_20210731_010518978 copy.jpg
Oops. Dumped the front tires off the hard pack. The heavy Cummins engine yanked the front tires down into the ground. In reverse, the locking differential dug all four rear tires into the ground as well. Some digging and rocking and eventually we got out.

PXL_20210811_193822592 copy.jpg
Upon inspection of the vehicle, found this surprise. Another day, another plug. Thinking about some new tires for the rear. All terrains?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Learning the limitations of this vehicle. That's all I got.

View attachment 678544
Oops. Dumped the front tires off the hard pack. The heavy Cummins engine yanked the front tires down into the ground. In reverse, the locking differential dug all four rear tires into the ground as well. Some digging and rocking and eventually we got out.

View attachment 678545
Upon inspection of the vehicle, found this surprise. Another day, another plug. Thinking about some new tires for the rear. All terrains?
Last week I had a car tire that was going flat… I called the local shops and got quotes of $30-60 + tax to fix even though I was carrying it in. Turns out it was a valve core issue… but the way prices are going it won’t be worth paying a shop to patch a used tire.

I’ve had great experiences with the fibre cords that are coated in gummy, gooey, sticky stuff. Which plugs do you usually use?

The plugs I use state they’re not a permanent fix… but I’ve had some in for 5-6 years without issues. My experience has been that they’re held permanently if they’ll hold through the night. Only once… when there was a literal hole drilled in my spare tire did they not stay in well. Fortunately I’ve only had some fool drill through my tailgate into my spare tire once. That individual learned from their mistake as hasn’t done it again. I’ll not make that mistake again. He was young and foolish and hasn’t done that again.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I only use Safety Seal plug kits. Been using them for years, never had an issue. Actually, they are quite the joy to use. Those cheap kits with the plastic handle you get at the Walmart for $10 just suck. No comparison.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I only use Safety Seal plug kits. Been using them for years, never had an issue. Actually, they are quite the joy to use. Those cheap kits with the plastic handle you get at the Walmart for $10 just suck. No comparison.
The plugs look like the ones I use. The safety seal tools look to be superior to the ones I have… but they do work.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yep, the Safety Seal tools are solid aluminum/steel. Reamer slides in and out super easy. Plug install tool is where the money is. Ram the plug in, then pull handle out while you push the collar in. Perfect painless plug everytime. I don't know how/why I messed with those cheap plastic pinky dink plug kits in the past.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yep, the Safety Seal tools are solid aluminum/steel. Reamer slides in and out super easy. Plug install tool is where the money is. Ram the plug in, then pull handle out while you push the collar in. Perfect painless plug everytime. I don't know how/why I messed with those cheap plastic pinky dink plug kits in the past.

I know why… I know I’ve not seen the Safety Seal tools before. I’ve used the ones could buy at the parts jobber. They work ok… and what they lack can be made up for with operator skill. Given I only use them once every few years, I’ve not really looked for better tools. I think it has been 14 years since I put a plug in a tire. My 40 tires more recently have had free flat repairs. I’d simply use the onboard air to top up the tire and then have the tire shop dismount the tire, install a vulcanized patch on the inside of the tire with a plug going through it, and reinstall it… all without lifting a finger.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Ugh, not again...

PXL_20210822_015936335 copy.jpg
This was a slow explosion and wasn't immediate like the last one. Belt was still "functioning", but I heard a horrible noise and sparks were flying out from under the hood! Apparently, changing the belt tensioner didn't fix it. Lots of things seem to be chewed up this time.

PXL_20210825_014040085 copy.jpg
Back to the basics. Ripped it all off to replace everything. Luckily, in this configuration, the rig is still mobile. Although can only drive 3 miles every 5 hours as to not risk overheating since we don't have the water pump anymore. Got to a good place to use leave rig and go hiking for parts.

PXL_20210825_013927941 copy.jpg
Waited a few days for parts to arrive. Nice hike to go pick them up. Not messing around this time, got all legit Cummins parts. The worst part on the wallet was the pulley hub bearing assembly.

PXL_20210825_020104043 copy.jpg
This fan spacer has seen better days.

PXL_20210825_015937570 copy.jpg
I think I should change these bolts too.

PXL_20210820_205618951 copy.jpg
All in all, 3 day delay. Hung out at the coast and relaxed. Got parts installed and back on road. Easy as pie. We'll just see if this repair fixes everything. Time will tell...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk