CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The Limited 4Runners of the same era as CYi5's do have a center diff. They are the only ones that do.

Hmmm that center diff looks allot like a Aisin Transfer case to me! Oh wait a second thats because it is a transfer case. The 4Runner (3rd Gen) are equipped with a center diff lock, why the heck they though it was a good idea to call it that is beyond me. It is not a differential as the name implies it is in fact a transfer case with a selection that enables a 50/50 split to front and rear wheels. To state AWD is to say that all four wheels are engaged in a system that will not allow them to be under the power of two wheels only. The V8 4th Gen 4Runners and GX 470 are in fact AWD or fulltime 4wd if you will. The 3rd gen NONE OF THEM are fulltime 4wd or AWD for that matter. The names used over the years confuse people. Subaru makes AWD vehicles.

Aaron

rdgt4r

Hmmm that center diff looks allot like a Aisin Transfer case to me! Oh wait a second thats because it is a transfer case. The 4Runner (3rd Gen) are equipped with a center diff lock, why the heck they though it was a good idea to call it that is beyond me. It is not a differential as the name implies it is in fact a transfer case with a selection that enables a 50/50 split to front and rear wheels. To state AWD is to say that all four wheels are engaged in a system that will not allow them to be under the power of two wheels only. The V8 4th Gen 4Runners and GX 470 are in fact AWD or fulltime 4wd if you will. The 3rd gen NONE OF THEM are fulltime 4wd or AWD for that matter. The names used over the years confuse people. Subaru makes AWD vehicles.

Aaron

Mhmm great info, i'd like to know more if possible. I've read online but where I read they refer it to AWD/4WD system which can be misleading. Thanks for posting up what you know.

Curtis

evanthebruin

Was unsure if I should tackle this one being a new guy around here but these( and my) 4runners do have AWD capability. I suppose we're arguing potatoe potato here but there is definitely a torsen differential in there that allows for torque imbalance between the front and rear wheels when the button is pushed just like a Suby. That said, the diff is NOT open. I like to think of it as a limited slip. I also think that should be callled AWD and not full time 4wd by the way, full time 4wd is kind of confusing. Sorry to continue the hijack, I vote for keeping AWD and the auto:sombrero:

evanthebruin

It doesn't say AWD. I was referring to the mode of vehicle operation as opposed to the signs or badges attached to the vehicle. The t-case lever doesn't say Engage Automatic Differential Disconnect, it just says H2-H4. The post above was about losing AWD capability which the VF3AM case and its internal T-3 Torsen (http://www.torsen.com/products/T-3.htm) differential provide. I don't want to lose that either, it's great in snow and icy conditions. Long Beach is pretty close to the San Bernadino mountains and I've used my AWD capability on icy roads there a few times.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It doesn't say AWD. I was referring to the mode of vehicle operation as opposed to the signs or badges attached to the vehicle. The t-case lever doesn't say Engage Automatic Differential Disconnect, it just says H2-H4. The post above was about losing AWD capability which the VF3AM case and its internal T-3 Torsen (http://www.torsen.com/products/T-3.htm) differential provide. I don't want to lose that either, it's great in snow and icy conditions. Long Beach is pretty close to the San Bernadino mountains and I've used my AWD capability on icy roads there a few times.

My friend you are right and I understand exactly what you mean!

Aaron

CYi5

Explorer
Took care of the rear main seal swap this past Saturday. I've never been so afraid of something falling on me as when pulled that auto. Big differences when removing an auto instead of a manual: Many more plugs to detach and much heavier! All said and done it was a twelve hour job. Big thanks to the guy who helped tackle the project in his garage. The use of a 36" extension was used quite frequently, keep that in mind if you are thinking about doing this.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

Tranny on the floor...We removed the cooler lines to get things out of the way when lowering it down. Therefore, the only tranny fluid that we lost came out of the lines, leaving the transmission quite hefty.

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

Old rear main seal. Note much more oily around the bottom of the seal than the top; surrounding areas and below coated. Past rear housing plug leaks also visible in top of picture.

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Remove the aluminum backing plate and the seal will come out with it. Don't forget there are eight bolts total, six on the front, and two on the bottom that go through the oil pan. We then twisted the old seal out with a pair of vice grips and tapped the new one in evenly with the edge of a large socket.

IMG_1306.JPG

Rear of the housing plug leak. Cleaned that up with some brake cleaner as I had resealed all of that stuff the week prior.

Five days later and no leaks yet. The only minor hiccup involved the rear main seal that I ordered online. It came in an old toyota package with a reprinted label. The seal was dinged as if someone had test fitted it then tried to carefully pry it back out without damaging it. Well they weren't successful and the inner lip was compromised. Fortunately a local dealership had two in stock on a Saturday. Got raped on the price, but what are you gonna do, just one of those things...

IMG_1326.JPG

Last edited:

valkyrie

Adventurer
Dang it Kevin, I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is to be that deep in a project and find out there's a problem with the parts you were counting on. :mad:

Refund issued, please accept my sincerest apology.

CYi5

Explorer
Dang it Kevin, I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is to be that deep in a project and find out there's a problem with the parts you were counting on. :mad:

Refund issued, please accept my sincerest apology.

No sweat these things happen. I just need to be a little less excited when receiving a package and take the thirty seconds needed to inspect the part...before i'm about to lower down the transmission. Doh! Lessons learned, thanks for being a great and reliable vendor, you have my continued business.

rambrush

Adventurer
I have a 36" extension it has 3/8" male with 1/2" female impact rated. That sucker sure saved my tail on more than one occasion.
3 12's will work but it gets pretty wobbly. Glad you have things under control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal