CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

CYi5

Explorer
Hi-Lift Mount questionable?

Made a few changes to the swing out. The blitz cans I was using were all rusted inside, breaking particles loose and one even developed a pin hole spraying gas out the back of the truck. To replace those, I picked up a nice pair of jerry cans from an expo member..a substantial improvement in every way :victory:!

IMG_1607.JPG

The original design let the cans rattle around, so I went with the strap method. I'm very happy with how they turned out and it seems they will hold much better. The tab at the top still allows me to mount a lock and run a security cable through the can handles. I also added some carpet padding underneath the cans to absorb some shock, as well as create a nice little nest for when the cans are filled up.

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

I also added a hi-lift mount to get it off of the roof, but am still up in the air about it. The base is very secure, with bolts going through the foot. The top is a little sketch, but doesn't seem like it's going to snap off.

I'm just wondering if all that vertical weight will cause something to fail in the swing out? There is a little play in the arm itself already, but there are three devices holding it closed (main pin, swing out pin, and lock)...What do you guys think? Yay or nay? Thanks for your input!

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Looking good man. I found a white 99 runner I'm looking at tomorrow. I swear I'm not copying!

Sweet man, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Also wishing you didn't need another fender as part of a deal to buy that snorkel of yours :p.

Arvin G

Observer
Same here but I just dont wanna give my brother the tacoma with a big hole in the side.

Hows the fridge working out behind the driver seat?

CYi5

Explorer
Great! I had to do a couple little tricks to get the height correct, but I can now open the lid with the door closed just by dropping the window :). It's a pretty trick setup...just need to do the full-time power outlet mod.

The platform is also bedlined and straps hold the fridge down over the bumps.

The swing out questions may be trivial, as I just started cutting the metal for my rear bumper :).

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Explorer
That bumper set up looks great. Not sure if you had one, I can't tell from the picture, but for a bushing to reduce metal/metal with the high-lift, I use an old shock bushing on the bolt through the upper mount. Just an idea.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Did you pick up a new rig ?? Cause that's a clean 4runner. Better protect those nice corners and rockers. :elkgrin:

CYi5

Explorer
Did you pick up a new rig ?? Cause that's a clean 4runner. Better protect those nice corners and rockers. :elkgrin:

Yea the taco got totaled :(. I wanted to bring it to you for SASing too! And yep, rear bumper build will continue in a week when i return from Oregon :campfire:.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Yea the taco got totaled :(. I wanted to bring it to you for SASing too! And yep, rear bumper build will continue in a week when i return from Oregon :campfire:.

OOH NOO ! Bummer on the Tacoma... Hope nobody got hurt in that process and it was a rust issue or something else. Your new rig is looking good though. I like what your running off the rear bumper now for a swing out, is that being changed or is part of the new bumper?

CYi5

Explorer
Na, my buddy rolled it on the way to the grand canyon :(...only minor injuries though thankfully. Thanks for the compliments, I always enjoy the changes your rig goes through as well!

I'm undecided on that part. I may sell it all outright to another 3rd gen owner, since there aren't many swing outs available to them. Otherwise, I will mount it in a double-shear configuration using a giant bolt to one of the corners of the bumper...Just have to see how I feel when the bumper is closer to completion.

CYi5

Explorer
Looking good man. Did you use scraps from my bumper for the hi-lift mount?

I had some left overs from other projects. I'm not going to run the hi-lift I decided. Even on the streets it vibrates a lot just hitting expansion joints and cracks. Not sure why I lug that thing around anyway..

CYi5

Explorer
IVD Rear Piggy Back Reservoir Shocks

Today is a good day in the world of 3rd Gen rear suspension. I installed Icon's newly released rear piggy back reservoir shocks on the 4Runner this evening. Initial impressions are very strong:victory:. The quality looks right up there with their coilovers and these things are stout!

With the same shock body diameter as my front DR's, they are a perfect match for the rear. The little street driving i've done this evening shows vast improvements when going through dips. Before, I'd feel the rear compress easily for that spine shattering jolt; now it's much more controlled and dampens just as it's intended.

The install was a little trickier than I had anticipated. The rebound is so strong I couldn't compress them by hand and had to use a hi-lift to lift the truck from the rear bumper to gain clearance, as well as use a floor jack to compress the shock. A C-clamp is then used to bring the bottom of the shock over the lower shock mount. 4 spacers are also included in the box, they are installed on either side of the shock bottom.

On a side note, I actually gained lift after installing these. Not sure if it will settle after they have broken in, but the rear is noticeably higher than before.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

New dampeners are slightly longer than the OME N86C shocks for a little more travel.

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal