CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

CYi5

Explorer
Those shocks look nice, what rear springs are you using with them? How is the street ride?

Thanks

OME 890's for now. I was concerned that with the extra weight of my new rear bumper that it would sag, but the rear end is pretty sky jacked without a bumper added.

Street ride is awesome, much better than the OME N86 comfort imo.

corax

Explorer
On a side note, I actually gained lift after installing these. Not sure if it will settle after they have broken in, but the rear is noticeably higher than before.

As you've probably figured out, the bit of lift you got is from the pressure inside the shock pushing the shock rod out (same effect as an air shock) - this force on the shock rod is helping support just a little of the rear weight. If the rear does settle a bit it'll be either the rear springs settling or slight loss of shock pressure.

Those are pretty pimp looking shocks. Do you have any noticable increase in bump/road noise being transfered from the heims on the axle end of the shock?

CYi5

Explorer
I emailed Icon to see what spring they recommended and didn't get a response..yet. The 890's do sag when loaded up with gear you're right. As a band-aid, I usually inflate my airbags at the beginning of a trip, but that's not always so useful when you finally get in the dirt. I would be interested to find a custom spring that works well, I don't know if LC springs would fit the bill as a good match.

The ride in the rear is sort of comparable to when you switched out your front suspension to coilovers. Stiffer but more controlled. I really can't push down the rear of the runner all that well, which would indicate the shock pressure like corax mentioned.

I've noticed no noise in the rear, but then again they are brand new. If that does start, i'm sure their ability to be rebuilt will make those heims replaceable in the future.

I'm hoping to get out to Johnson Valley maybe next week and play around with them in the dirt.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I emailed Icon to see what spring they recommended and didn't get a response..yet. The 890's do sag when loaded up with gear you're right. As a band-aid, I usually inflate my airbags at the beginning of a trip, but that's not always so useful when you finally get in the dirt. I would be interested to find a custom spring that works well, I don't know if LC springs would fit the bill as a good match.

The ride in the rear is sort of comparable to when you switched out your front suspension to coilovers. Stiffer but more controlled. I really can't push down the rear of the runner all that well, which would indicate the shock pressure like corax mentioned.

I've noticed no noise in the rear, but then again they are brand new. If that does start, i'm sure their ability to be rebuilt will make those heims replaceable in the future.

I'm hoping to get out to Johnson Valley maybe next week and play around with them in the dirt.

email Mike at Icon directly. mcrosby@iconvehicledynamics.com
They tuned it to work with OME's. I'd guess 890's, but 891's are the same spring rate and taller I've heard.

RSB

Adventurer
I really, really like these. Absolutely gorgeous! :drool:

Today is a good day in the world of 3rd Gen rear suspension. I installed Icon's newly released rear piggy back reservoir shocks on the 4Runner this evening. Initial impressions are very strong:victory:. The quality looks right up there with their coilovers and these things are stout!

With the same shock body diameter as my front DR's, they are a perfect match for the rear. The little street driving i've done this evening shows vast improvements when going through dips. Before, I'd feel the rear compress easily for that spine shattering jolt; now it's much more controlled and dampens just as it's intended.

The install was a little trickier than I had anticipated. The rebound is so strong I couldn't compress them by hand and had to use a hi-lift to lift the truck from the rear bumper to gain clearance, as well as use a floor jack to compress the shock. A C-clamp is then used to bring the bottom of the shock over the lower shock mount. 4 spacers are also included in the box, they are installed on either side of the shock bottom.

On a side note, I actually gained lift after installing these. Not sure if it will settle after they have broken in, but the rear is noticeably higher than before.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

New dampeners are slightly longer than the OME N86C shocks for a little more travel.

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

CYi5

Explorer
Nearing the end of my rear bumper build, just thought i'd throw up a few pics before powder coating tomorrow. It's a BruceTS styled bumper with a few tweaks of my own. The main differences being weld-through clevis mounts and an alternative to reusing the stock faded plastic bumper top.

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Mamontof

Explorer
Nearing the end of my rear bumper build, just thought i'd throw up a few pics before powder coating tomorrow. It's a BruceTS styled bumper with a few tweaks of my own. The main differences being weld-through clevis mounts and an alternative to reusing the stock faded plastic bumper top.

Hay Heavy is that ?
Great work , solid steel , can handle all most anything
Hay you attach to the frame , weld or flex ?

I love that bumper style !:victory:

CYi5

Explorer
The bumper is bolted on in the stock tow hitch locations as well as over the frame. I'll get the weight before I put it on for the final time, it takes two people to put on though.

12husky

Adventurer

Why do you consider the airbags as a band-aid? I was planning on going that route (890s and bags) so that I can easily adjust between loaded and empty, but info from someone with experience would be great!

~Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk