CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

Goin

Observer
I would love to see more build pics of the bumper. Very nice. Did you do any frame strengthening?

CYi5

Explorer
As requested, pics of the upper frame reinforcement:

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

The metal strap running back can be made wider, I was just working with a piece of scrap that I had to divide to make both sides. It acts more as a spacer anyway.

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

Parallel black tube running across is the air line for the airbags.

IMG_1729.JPG

Cut out for 265/75/16 Spare, and (4) factory tow hitch bolt locations. Airbag fill nipple also pictured.

IMG_1732.JPG

Duct tape rash guard as noted by red87. Still holding well for the time being, and a surprising color match ;).

Last edited:

Pikeman

Adventurer
Nice job on the bumper. But I do worry about the air bag fill valve being that far back. I have hit my back bumper in that location a few times.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nicely done frame reinforcement. It is very similar to the way mine is done, but yours is prettier.

ezekiel86

really nice build, just getting into owning a 4runner and absolutely love it, ive had it for 2 weeks and put 680 miles on it just on dirt roads and trails lol yours is quite impressive:drool:

CYi5

Explorer
Just returned from five days in southern Death Valley. Third trip to the region and perhaps my favorite yet! The roads certainly don't disappoint when it comes to surface variation. Red87 and I both blew out a front shock with a bonus blown CV for Mr. Red. My DR's were due for a rebuild anyway so that doesn't bum me too much. If anyone in the Huntington Beach area has a pair of C/O's laying around that I can borrow while I take them in, hit me up!

These jarring roads were the first real test for the rear Icons and I must say they perform beautifully. Again, highly recommend them for you So-Cal 3rd gen desert tourers.

IMG_1740.JPG

Visiting Trona Pinnacles. Also maiden voyage for the bolt-on swing out I just completed for the trip.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

Higher elevations on Pleasant Canyon saw lingering snowfall and icy conditions making for some interesting ascents and descents.

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

From the top of Roger's pass looking out to far away DV.

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

Staying in Geologist's cabin for the night.

IMG_1859.JPG

Dead DR...:(.

IMG_1964.JPG

Serious hitch hikers.

IMG_1986.JPG

Downtown DV taken from camping spot in Echo Canyon.

4RunAmok

Explorer
Really like everything you've done with your 4Runner!

I really like those new icon rears. I wonder if King makes a rear like that to match my fronts!

Are you going to do the SoCal Expo trip? I think you might dig my OasisII setup! Using Gibraltar drum rack clamps of all things!

CYi5

Explorer
I extracted my coilovers today in order for them to be rebuilt tomorrow. Turns out my simple leaky CO just hinted at a larger issue.

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

Six years of California use. I've had them rebuilt once and it's definitely time again. The lower heims have major slop:Wow1:. Don't neglect your investment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk