CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Are you running stock bulbs in your headlights? I've noticed a huge improvement over the stock bulbs running Silvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs.

CYi5

Explorer
Are you running stock bulbs in your headlights? I've noticed a huge improvement over the stock bulbs running Silvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs.

Yea stock bulbs. I just don't want to have to replace them every 1-2 years which I hear is common with all of the replacement lights. The upgraded harnesses available are tempting me slightly. $80-140 depending on who you go with.

CYi5

Explorer
Ome 891

My OME 890 rear springs were starting to show their lack of support in some of the bigger dips offroad, so I decided to make the move to the OME 891 springs, rated +600 lbs.

I also ditched the airbags, one sprang a leak. A replacement bag is $40, and a whole new system is $80. If I need the support in the future, i'll just start fresh.

Removing the 10mm trim packer and just leaving the stock bump cone netted the same amount of lift after the switch.

IMG_2225.JPG

The 891 (left) coil is 1mm thicker than the 890 (right). Also note the spacing of the top coils. When installed, the 890 upper few coils actually touched at rest, all of the powder coat was rubbed off between these wraps.

IMG_2229.JPG

Install took about an hour, 45 minutes, mostly due to some ratchet strapping to compress the springs.

IMG_2224.JPG

Some decent amount of droop from the rear Icon resi's.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My factory tailpipe was cut after the axle due to rear bumper installation issues which eliminated the rear support mount. As a result, the tailpipe eventually separated from the muffler at the back :(. I thought I was going to be forced to switch to a louder muffler, but came across some factory tacoma piping at a buddy's house. Factory turn down ;) . No noticeable noise change, some excess fumes do enter through the cracked rear window upon startup.

IMG_2189.JPG

I get a ton of exhaust in the rear window all the time, I'd live to be able to cruise with the windows down but forget it.

A

CYi5

Explorer
I fortunately only notice it when it's cold. Cruising and idling hasn't seemed to be an issue to date.

CYi5

Explorer
Finally put some 285/75/16's back on the runner. I went with Yokohama Geolander AT/S this round; very smooth and quiet. They held up surprisingly well on a recent trip to Death Valley with Red87.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

I also moved the shovel to the swing out using some extra quickfists I had laying around. Eliminates the need for throwing the Yakima bars on each trip.

IMG_2270.JPG

Danimal

Adventurer
Your build thread always makes me miss my 3rd gen 4Runner. Nice tires, and I love the 2nd to last picture...

:costumed-smiley-007

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Can you go a little more in depth with your thoughts on the Yoko's? Specifically, how did they perform in Death Valley?

CYi5

Explorer
Can you go a little more in depth with your thoughts on the Yoko's? Specifically, how did they perform in Death Valley?

The first thing I noticed with the AT/S' is the softness of the rubber compound. You can easily squish the lugs with your finger. This made me a little nervous before the trip, but afterwards I see no serious cutting or marring of the tread surface. If you've been to the region, you know it's not all smooth, graded roads. Miles of washboards and surfaces made out of baseball size rock chunks are very common. I did do my best to avoid any sidewall impacts, but shouldn't we always be doing that?

Looking around town you see AT/S' in smaller sizes (265/70, 265/75) and they do look like street tires (small, tightly grouped lugs.) When you get up to 285/75+, the tread blocks are actually pretty substantial in size.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
They look good and more siped compared to my Nitto's, and I will be needing tires in a few months........ lemme know once you get some more miles on them.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach