CYi5's '99 4Runner Buildup

tacollie

Glamper
I have the bigger tundra calipers. The 231mms I believe. I need to see if they will clear. That would be sweet.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Usually I am not a fan of white trucks but yours looks good with the silver accents. With black accents I don't think it would look as good.

Great lock box you got for the console!

As far as that bent track bar in earlier pics....easy to fix that so it will never bend again. Chrome moly would do it. I prefer a solid 7075 aluminum bar though. Extremely strong, light and can flex. I have 7075 links on my offroader and have seen them bend with 6,000lbs of weight on them....only to bend back straight after the weight came off! Previous dom links bend pretty easy. I swear by the 7075 now! :)

CYi5

Explorer
Thanks for the comments RMP&O. Here are the final shots of the wheel project and pictures of the 235/85's on 16x8's for those that are interested. It does look a little 'froggy style' or 'hawaiian style' stretched over the rim, but there is still a little sidewall bulge. The tire noise increased slightly (at the same 35 psi), so I may do the chalk test to get the contact patch correct again. The width matches the limited flares perfectly as expected; fingers crossed I won't ever need a new set of rims!! I need to stop spending money on stupid tweaks and use it for gas $$$.

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
Anyhow I feel the LC or LX wheels are the perfect match for anyone wanting to run 285's and up to 315 with little to no UCA issues.

A

These rims came with 315's on them, and i'll be honest that's what sucked me in. I test fitted one of them on the front, turned to the left, slight rub, turned back to center and my fender flare ripped off :Wow1:. I didn't feel like cutting plastic or doing the pinch weld mod on this truck, and BL wasn't really on my radar. 285's on LC/LX wheels is the perfect combo, I agree:safari-rig:.

CYi5

Explorer
Those wheels came out looking fantastic; great work! What paint did you use for them?

Thanks, I was initially looking for the Duplicolor wheel paint that I've used in the past, but only came across the Rustoleum wheel paint variant. Turned out well enough for me, we'll see how long the results last.

I got away with one can of self etching primer and one can of the rustoleum paint.

CYi5

Explorer
ARB Fog Lights

Spent my day off making a little addition to the ARB. Since removing the limited bumper and associated fog lights I've missed that close up light on the road. I also don't like having a useless switch on my steering column.

I welded up some bolt-on brackets that would hold two rectangular lights. These fit in the openings reserved for hi-lift jacking and the winch clutch.

I originally planned to go with Hella FF75 fogs, but at $100 I didn't see it as worth the investment.

The affordable solution:
55w Pilot Driving Lights (PL-2055C) - $19.99 @ AutoZone

pl-1055_dimensions.jpg

drive_top.jpg
drive_side.jpg

I used these on my last taco as reverse lights and found them to be a great value and perfect fit for the all-pro rear bumper. I tapped into the factory fog light wiring harness to utilize the OEM twist switch. Stock fogs are also 55w, so no need to worry about melting wires or fire hazard.

Picture005.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
It is a nice, clean mount. But, I think those holes are for jacking with your HiLift and air for the radiator.

CYi5

Explorer
It is a nice, clean mount. But, I think those holes are for jacking with your HiLift and air for the radiator.

Yep, I think you're right, haha. It's also access to your winch clutch. I'll monitor my temps and post if anything changes. If I get a winch down the road i'll probably ditch them, cause then every opening will be filled.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Rear Bumpstops

Added bump stops to aid in the harsh bottoming out in the rear.:safari-rig:

Parts list:
Daystar KU09014BK ~$35
2"x5"x3/16" Box ~Free (thanks to left over scrap from red87's bumper)
Misc. Hardware ~$3.00 (M8x1.25 = bolts that thread into stock bumpstop nut)

bumps1.jpg

bumps2.jpg

ryani

Just wondering how the handling of that rim/tire combination on road is. I have a 98 and am seriously considering the same setup with lc rims and the 235 hankook at tire.

CYi5

Explorer
Just wondering how the handling of that rim/tire combination on road is. I have a 98 and am seriously considering the same setup with lc rims and the 235 hankook at tire.

I have no issues with turning. It may roll over a little more on the shoulder of the tire because it's stretched a little bit, but other than that I haven't noticed anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3