Dawson's M-416 Build

dawsonc61

Observer
OK People!!!! Updates!

I went over to my good ol' buddy Mike Green's place to finish up phase one of the trailer build. We welded the top and bottom rail to the diamond plate section of steel. I had this piece cut to fit at a metal shop. We then welded the hinges and gate onto the tub of the trailer. I haven't gotten the clasps, rubber weather stripping, and cables installed yet but I'll take care of that this week. Here are the pics of the progress:

Tail gate with top rail welded
sciencefair018.jpg

We went ahead and took the tub off of the frame to make welding a little easier
sciencefair009.jpg

Prepping opening for welding
sciencefair013.jpg

Without tub
sciencefair017.jpg

We put the trailer up on end to weld the hinges to the bottom of the tub. We welded the other side of the hinge to the inside of the gate so it wouldn't be visible from the outside.
sciencefair021.jpg

Mike welding the inside of the gate and hinge together
sciencefair026.jpg

And back on the trailer
sciencefair029.jpg

Closed
sciencefair031.jpg

sciencefair032.jpg

sciencefair033.jpg

I really like the way this turned out! I'm able to utilize the entire back end now instead of the small space i would have been left with if I had used the CJ tailgate as originally planned.

I really need to weigh this thing! The weight will determine the final design of the lid and roof rack. More updates to come!

I'm now in the market for a roof top tent so if anyone knows of a seller keep me posted. Thanks a ton for all the comments and interest.

D

dawsonc61

Observer
No real updates today. It's pretty nasty outside! I started from scratch again on Shetch-up. My last mock up was not to scale and I guessed on a lot of the measurments. This one is exactly to scale to my trailer. This is what my lid will look like after it is made. The RTT will come soon after that.

AccurateM416painted2.png

AccurateM416PaintedblackorangeRTT.png

AccurateM416painted3.png

AccurateM416paintedlifted.png

AccurateM416paintedlifted2.png

Hopefully I'll have the Lid done next week and the RTT should be on the week after that!

Thanks,

D

Doc Gary

great build I am thinking about doing a trailer as well and this has given me some inspiration. Gotta love sketchup i've been using it for a couple of years and now that I see you using it to "plan" your build I am going to go that route as well. Thanks and good job!:victory:

dawsonc61

Observer
Ok, I finally got the Mombasa RTT and took it to BMRA this past weekend. I welded some cross bars to the top of the trailer to temporarily hold the RTT. I hope to have the lid finished this week and then have the trailer painted by the end of the weekend. We'll see how that goes! Here are some pics:
IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

Doc Gary

Looks great!:Wow1:
what are you planning for a color? Match the Rig? Did you have any problems during your "shakedown" test?

dawsonc61

Observer
Lid

I had the day off and I chose to take advantage of the beautiful weather! I picked up the lid from the metal shop first thing this morning. I spent most of the morning riveting the bottom tubing on.
IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

I then cut the rest of the tubing and riveted it. I still need to find someone with a TIG who can put some stitch welds on it to make it a little more stable. I laid down on it and it feels really sturdy! Tomorrow I'll be finishing the paint prep and installing the hinges on the trailer. I've already got the latches so I'll install them too. I hope to hit it with some primer in the AM. Depending on the weather, which is supposed to be a breezy 74 degrees (God I love Texas), I might be able to get coat number one on in the afternoon.

Here are the rest on the pics:

trailer001.jpg

trailer002.jpg

trailer005.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5160-1.jpg

trailer009.jpg

trailer010.jpg

D

dawsonc61

Observer
Well the build is slowly coming to a close. I spent most of the weekend painting! Very tiring but I'm very pleased with the final result.
I bought a cheap paint gun at Northern Tool and it made the paint job look really nice. It didn't atomize as fine as I would have liked but the texture ended up looking really good. I used Rustoleum primer and a black and red enamel (gloss). The red enamel actually matches the Jeep perfectly, which was nice since i didn't have an option to tint it. Sorry for the crappy night shots, I'll take some more tomorrow! I'll put the RTT on tomorrow too and take some final shots of it behind the Jeep.
I'll start making plans for the guts of the trailer this week.
trailer015.jpg

trailer017.jpg

trailer021.jpg

trailer024.jpg

trailer027.jpg

trailer029.jpg

trailer030.jpg

trailer032.jpg

trailer033.jpg

dawsonc61

Observer
Alright, Well i took a few minutes over my lunch break to take the trailer out for a spin and took a few pics while I was at it. No RTT yet but that is forth coming.
traler003.jpg

traler004.jpg

traler007.jpg

traler001.jpg

D

WFTW

Adventurer
That looks awesome...like the Jeep and trailer were built for each other. Looking forward to seeing it with the RTT.

dawsonc61

Observer
I went ahead and put the RTT on after work. I am so pleased with the way it turned out! I can't wait to take it out again. I wonder if I can convince Alli to go camping for Valentines day?

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

It is still pretty light but I'm definitely gonna need those struts soon. It's good to see that I can lift the lid with he tent extended if I needed access to the front of the trailer.
IMG_5216.jpg

Easy as...
IMG_5217.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__