DD with kit or without??

With kit or without?

• Total voters

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
So, an informal poll.
How many of you have a daily driver with your camping/ overlanding/ cooking/ or whatever kit in or on the vehicle?
Such as racks, awnings, cabinets, drawers, etc.

So, with kit, or without?

And no arguing about whether it's camping or overlanding!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My rack, awning, water tank, and drawers are always in the truck because it's such a pain to break everything down and find a place to store it. My cook kit is in the truck for trips, then gets cleaned and put away. I can only get away with this arrangement because I have another beater truck for hauling stuff.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Though I designed them to be quick and easy to remove, the rack and sleeping platform have stayed since last summer. Awning, water & fuel cans, and numbered boxes of kit are in the shed, ready to go.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Partial Credit...

A yes vote, but only "partial credit" for me; nothing stays in the Jeep (JKU) that is easy to steal ;-)

That leaves the fridge slide-in mounting bracket, the house battery and related electronics permanently installed in the cabin, kits for tools, medical, and recovery in locked compartments, and the permanent removal of 2/3 of the rear seat (to make room for the rest of the kit!).

Everything else is organized in modular kits, a variety of canvas bags, rolls, and bins, all stored on a single shelf in my office. Everything ready to pack up and go...

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've kept some basic stuff and a 'bugout bag' in my vehicle ever since the Northrdige quake caught me totally unprepared and wrecked my house. One of the reasons I've bought the Suburban is I can add a platform / drawer system that gives me 12cu' of storage space and be unnoticeable to anyone looking into the vehicle thru the windows.

brushogger

Explorer
I keep a pack in my dd with a wool blanket, knife, flashlight, fire kit, 3 liters of water and 3 mre's. The clothing depends on the season. Also has a small first aid kit, sharpened E tool, and a 2m ht. My dd is my work truck, and I'm all over the western half of OK.

lugueto

Adventurer
I remove most of my equipment after a trip. This includes Tent, recovery gear, fridge/cooler, tools, etc.

The only thing that stays on is the awning, as its used for day trips to the beach and since its below the rack height it doesn't really bother me (unlike the tent).

I only leave basic tools in the vehicle at all times.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only thing that stays in my truck is an Action Packer plastic trunk that is my "emergency kit." It has things like my tools, jumper cables, tow strap, road flares, warning triangles, a few emergency supplies like firestarters, flashlights, a military Gore-Tex parka, extra gloves, etc. I also keep my air compressor, jump starter and a fire extinguisher in the truck (the jump starter gets taken out once every 3 months to charge up.)
Camping gear gets put away, generally, because my truck serves multiple purposes. On long trips, for example, I plan to pull my 3rd row seat out and leave it at home but at home I like to leave it in because every now and then I have to be the "bus driver" for a group of family or friends. :D

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
50/50 and varies by the season. I generally leave recovery gear and the likes in my JKU during the winter months but remove it when soft top season rolls around. The tent, awning, fridge, basic tool kit, and 2M radio stay on year round. I have an AT shelf in the cargo area that makes it very difficult to steal the fridge itself so long as the tailgate is locked.

My Jeep was broken into a few months ago and they were unable to get the fridge out (they did clear pretty much everything else out.) That was a real eye opener.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Except for some emergency equipment (jumper cables, gloves, etc), I take everything out. Less crap rolling around and more space when needed.

Also something less to get stolen.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Like many others I leave some stuff, but empty most of it. I voted yes.

Tent stays on the roof

All stuff in bins comes out

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Add: My emergency and recovery equipment stays in the truck all the time. Because when you don't have it is exactly when you'll need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl