DEFENDER 110 Overland Build

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Some good suggestions since I was last on...

Rear drums:

My last 110 - actually a 100" as it got shortened, but that is another story. I never did get the rear brakes right - ever! I replaced everything, and I mean everything - from back plates to drums. The guy I sold it to has spent 4 years trying to get them right and he's just sorted it - Defender master cylinder and late servo.
Oddly enough this is what is on my 110 and has been since before I bought it - the brakes on her are amazing! Better than a disc braked rear.
If the shoes are slipping off the cams, check they are the right way round - without teaching my mothers late mother to suck eggs - they are handed and sided... Also check you have 110 slave cylinders and not 109 slaves - a common and easy made parts supplier mistake...

I think the 200 Tdi is the best engine Land Rover ever made. I also think it is one of the very best IL4 TD's ever made. It is the best Overland lump without doubt.
Mine runs tweaks that I have worked out over 23 years of owning and operating the 200. A slightly larger intercooler, some pump and wastegate tweaks, upgraded injectors. That's about it. She's still pulling hard at 75mph in 5th on a 1.44 with 235/85's - if that's what I want. But at 65 cruising, when I floor it she moves. General driving she gives 33-35 mpg (Imperial, not your little US gallons), that's up to 37 cruising at 60. All up towing at 5600kgs she will give 28 cruising at 55.

I especially like the X-eng Hand Brake (this is my 3rd); but all the other mods are simple and done for reliability or comfort. I do have a heated screen as a luxury and a late Defender heater for added warmth. My only vanity is the WMIK Grill - simply because I was given one. Paint is by Rustoleum - RAL0003 is the preffered colour this year!

AndreasN

Observer
Hey

are you still interested in my upgraded 200TDI (36Tkm) with uprated Ashcroft auto gearbox and 1.41 LT230 and many more?
Have sent you an PM.

AN

EIGHTLUG

Observer
I'm keeping a disc brake conversion in mind. So far, I haven't noticed any abnormalities with the drums. I do prefer discs to drums.

A 200 TDi is definitely something I'm looking at. I'm still going to have the J19 gone through, to see where I stand with it.

Some good suggestions since I was last on...

Rear drums:

My last 110 - actually a 100" as it got shortened, but that is another story. I never did get the rear brakes right - ever! I replaced everything, and I mean everything - from back plates to drums. The guy I sold it to has spent 4 years trying to get them right and he's just sorted it - Defender master cylinder and late servo.
Oddly enough this is what is on my 110 and has been since before I bought it - the brakes on her are amazing! Better than a disc braked rear.
If the shoes are slipping off the cams, check they are the right way round - without teaching my mothers late mother to suck eggs - they are handed and sided... Also check you have 110 slave cylinders and not 109 slaves - a common and easy made parts supplier mistake...

I think the 200 Tdi is the best engine Land Rover ever made. I also think it is one of the very best IL4 TD's ever made. It is the best Overland lump without doubt.
Mine runs tweaks that I have worked out over 23 years of owning and operating the 200. A slightly larger intercooler, some pump and wastegate tweaks, upgraded injectors. That's about it. She's still pulling hard at 75mph in 5th on a 1.44 with 235/85's - if that's what I want. But at 65 cruising, when I floor it she moves. General driving she gives 33-35 mpg (Imperial, not your little US gallons), that's up to 37 cruising at 60. All up towing at 5600kgs she will give 28 cruising at 55.

I especially like the X-eng Hand Brake (this is my 3rd); but all the other mods are simple and done for reliability or comfort. I do have a heated screen as a luxury and a late Defender heater for added warmth. My only vanity is the WMIK Grill - simply because I was given one. Paint is by Rustoleum - RAL0003 is the preffered colour this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk