DEFENDER 110 Overland Build

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Curt

Mileage is checked on the MOT over here, but as the speedo is so easily changed it’s not to be relied on. My own speedo has been changed three times in five years. If you want to, PM me your VIN and your engine number and I will check what the vehicles original engine was and where the TD came from.
If the vehicle is an 84MY then the TD was not available. It would have been 2.3NA Diesel or 2.3 NAD Petrol; or if a late ’84 a 2.5 NAD. It may even have been a V8 but then it would most likely have the LT85 box, not the LT77...

As I said, the TD is a good lump. The 200 is far better – better than the 300. If you were over ere then it would be the obvious choice to fit a 200 as they are cheap and readily available from D1’s.
Td’s get re-built by collectors, eccentrics and people fitting them to leafers. Also TD parts are cheap and available as are upgrades – new hot spots and better head gaskets for example. The TD is not an engine to work too hard, but then only a fool abuses an overland vehicle. I can source parts if you want – I’ve done it before for EP folk. All I ask is you send my middle daughter a postcard as she collects them.

The 110 axles are excellent but anything brakes if you abuse it. The secret is to treat the vehicle as a life support system not a toy.

Just service the 110, oils, filters, belts and service items. The drive it! All land rovers are reliable if treated properly and looked after

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I have 2 girls, 6 and 9, and I'm 46. We are marooned on the same island together mate!

Just imagine adding a 22 month old to that. And she's got more energy than the other two ever had. Gets to the end of the day and I don't know who's more tired

Wouldn't be without them though - although it's great when the hormonal monster goes to her Grannies for a while!

Sirocco

Explorer
Hello Gareth, how are the former Soviet States today. Have you broken the winch yet?

Not yet, you did a good job.

Used it twice now. Once when we fell in the snow in Finland at 2200hrs looking for a wildcamp at -15, and the other 4000m up a rocky mountain road in Kyrgyzstan when I drove into a mud-hole created by a Kamaz. I should have gone around, but I got lazy.

The Stans are great. Currently driving endless days across the remoter parts of North Eastern Russia and Siberia. Need to ship out by early October.

Say hi to the family from me :)

G

LR Max

Local Oaf
To the OP.

I have to be honest. I REALLY think to get what you want out of this truck, you are going to drop a TON of money and not be happy.

Dump the 110 and buy a built Jeep Wrangler JK. It'll come with pretty much everything you already want with comforts. It is a newer vehicle so that helps out a lot.

Here. This truck has pretty much everything you already want. I'm sure the womenfolk will like it too.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/3998094590.html

Unless you have a 100% basket case, you should be able to get ~$20k for your 110. Sell it, buy this, then you have ~$10k to get this truck accessorized how you want it. Maybe a few maintenance items but nothing outrageous. Also whatever you take off this brodozer (the wheels comes to mind) you can sell for and get a reasonable amount of coin for it.

Personally, this is what I recommend to you because this is going to solve all of your problems in pretty much one action.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Although I feel it's a mid life crisis, like my sudden and very strange change of mind about Harley ownership, I do like the JK. The version we get over here would make a nice all purpose motor and has a great diesel lump - although servicing and parts costs are akin to having your wallet gang raped...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Not yet, you did a good job.

Used it twice now. Once when we fell in the snow in Finland at 2200hrs looking for a wildcamp at -15, and the other 4000m up a rocky mountain road in Kyrgyzstan when I drove into a mud-hole created by a Kamaz. I should have gone around, but I got lazy.

The Stans are great. Currently driving endless days across the remoter parts of North Eastern Russia and Siberia. Need to ship out by early October.

Say hi to the family from me :)

G

Glad it's stood up to the test when required - it's the best of it's kind. Drop in when you get back - and don't forget to send Daisy a post card

EIGHTLUG

Observer
I totally understand what you're saying. Yes, a JK would fill the bill of getting us where we want to go. That's only the half of it though. The other half IS the build and making it "ours." Trust me, I can't wait to get it in the Colorado wilderness and have the family out enjoying it. That being said I'm not in a huge rush. I gave myself a goal to have it finished by the LRNR next year. Could it be mechanically road worthy in a month? Sure. But, to me it's like being on a lake in a Chris Craft. Half of the enjoyment of the boat was building it, and doing it right. I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

To the OP.

I have to be honest. I REALLY think to get what you want out of this truck, you are going to drop a TON of money and not be happy.

Dump the 110 and buy a built Jeep Wrangler JK. It'll come with pretty much everything you already want with comforts. It is a newer vehicle so that helps out a lot.

Here. This truck has pretty much everything you already want. I'm sure the womenfolk will like it too.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/3998094590.html

Unless you have a 100% basket case, you should be able to get ~$20k for your 110. Sell it, buy this, then you have ~$10k to get this truck accessorized how you want it. Maybe a few maintenance items but nothing outrageous. Also whatever you take off this brodozer (the wheels comes to mind) you can sell for and get a reasonable amount of coin for it.

Personally, this is what I recommend to you because this is going to solve all of your problems in pretty much one action.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
Will do. I'm really curious now, to as to what the story is on this 110. I've put maybe 10-15 miles on it since we took delivery. I checked for noises coming from the diffs and wheel bearings. Nothing. I think it's solid in that aspect. The axles will still get a good once over.

The engine had the typical black smoke on start up. It cleared up after a minute or so of running. It does seem to idle pretty rough. I believe it has a bad injector and hopefully it's the one that's leaking. Cooling system is in working order. The fuel tank has a hole and it will need to either be welded up up replaced, depending on the corrosion. It was near empty when we received it. I drove it to the gas station and put about 5 gallons in it... Most of that five gallons has since leaked out.

I'll begin digging into the axles and brakes this weekend. Drop fluids (diff & brake) and get some brake shoes, maybe drums on order.

Curt

Mileage is checked on the MOT over here, but as the speedo is so easily changed it's not to be relied on. My own speedo has been changed three times in five years. If you want to, PM me your VIN and your engine number and I will check what the vehicles original engine was and where the TD came from.
If the vehicle is an 84MY then the TD was not available. It would have been 2.3NA Diesel or 2.3 NAD Petrol; or if a late '84 a 2.5 NAD. It may even have been a V8 but then it would most likely have the LT85 box, not the LT77...

As I said, the TD is a good lump. The 200 is far better – better than the 300. If you were over ere then it would be the obvious choice to fit a 200 as they are cheap and readily available from D1's.
Td's get re-built by collectors, eccentrics and people fitting them to leafers. Also TD parts are cheap and available as are upgrades – new hot spots and better head gaskets for example. The TD is not an engine to work too hard, but then only a fool abuses an overland vehicle. I can source parts if you want – I've done it before for EP folk. All I ask is you send my middle daughter a postcard as she collects them.

The 110 axles are excellent but anything brakes if you abuse it. The secret is to treat the vehicle as a life support system not a toy.

Just service the 110, oils, filters, belts and service items. The drive it! All land rovers are reliable if treated properly and looked after

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Watch the snail cams on the back plates - they get old and they get worn

I have a set of OE back plates put aside in case one of the International Brotherhood of 110 Owners is in need - brand spankers, acquired for 5 litres of Somerset's finest Cider - Port Wine Of Glastonbury by Hecks. Yours for the postage if you become desperate. Damn but I sound like a drug dealer - build up a need!

Range Rover Classic metal tank is the same - but in the long run get an aftermarket 120ltr tank made of 4mm steel; range and protection

Idle may be timing - but run Millers fuel conditioner through, or cheap Vodka. With the latter about 500mls to a tank works well. Don't use expensive vodka. It's a trick we use on trips to the old USSR where fuel varies from poor to lousy and petrol is caustic. Black smoke at start up is normal. Blue/grey is valve stem seals. US Diesel is of a slightly lower calorific value than UK/EU diesel, unless bio biased, so tuning is very much a 'by eye' trick

benlittle

Adventurer
This thread frustrates me and I suspect that it frustrates others here, too.

You want to do an "overland build" on your truck. Let's consider what we know:

- The truck is apparently new to you.
- You aren't totally sure what motor you have, yet you are ready to replace it with something, maybe even a GM powertrain
- You want to lift the truck
- You're considering using spacers
- You want to run 33" tires
- You're picking out paint colors

Yet...as far as we can tell, you've never even done a trip in this truck. Do you know what it's capable of? What are its strengths and abilities in its factory form? You don't know.

Do you have any hidden mechanical issues? You don't know.

You're going about this all wrong. You're trying to do some Land Rover Overlander Expedition Lifestyle build but you're focusing on everything that's not important right now and none of the things that are. We are trying to save you from our rookie mistakes but you want none of it.

Look, first things first, quit picking out paint colors and spacers and get this truck out in the mountains before the snow hits. Take it out to the western slope and get a week in the desert and some rough off-road miles on it to get a feel for what you need and what, if anything, needs fixing. Bring your camping kit and think about how you're going to pack it with five people on board. Drive over Monarch Pass with the 2.5 NA. Drive with some friends who have "built" Defenders and notice all of the problems that their big lifts cause on long overland trips: the broken shocks, the exploded DC driveshafts, the death wobbles, etc. Once you have done all of this, come back home and build your truck. Only then will you know what you want and what you need.

For the record, I drove a bone stock ex-MOD 110 from Galveston to Seattle and covered over 1500 rough, off-road miles. You don't need an "overland build" to get out there and do this stuff. I'll put my stock 1987 Defender up against most any other Defender on this board in terms of off-pavement reliability.

Yes.

If you have to ask about tire and wheel size - Just go back to bed and start over. In this thread, it was post #1.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
It's been a productive week or so on the project. Brakes shoes all check out, good to go. Rubber brake lines were swapped for braided steel, fluid R2, and bled. P/S front axle shaft (Driver Side on NAS 110's) is leaking pretty good. That will be tackled at a later date. Oct 1st she has a date to have the top end of the diesel rebuilt. Possibly the turbo also, depending on how the vanes and bearings check out. So, new head gasket, milled head, valves, springs, guides, valve cover gasket. Injectors will be reused, at this point.

I'm gathering up hoses, belts, and other ancillary odds-and-ends. There's also a little fab work lined up to get the late model defender rear bench seat to work. It'll give the kids more room and a lot more comfort, for a day's worth of trekking. Once the floor gets the appropriate notches and new mount holes the entire interior, below the belt-line will get Line-X. My original plan was to use Dynomat, but after talking to the guys at Automotive Alchemy the plan has changed. They showed me No Limit Expedition's "BRUTUS" 130 DEFENDER that just came back from the Line-X shop and I was sold.

A set of five, 255/85R16 BFG KM2's are on order. They should be at the tire shop by Thursday (9/5/13). Bad thing is I'm going to put the rig on blocks to have the old tires removed to the wheels blasted and inspected for any structural damage. If everything checks out OK, I'll have the steel wheels powder coated basic black and have the new rubber installed.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I'm going to re-open this one, since I just joined the party and read all 9 flaming pages. I think it's interesting that you're asking newbie questions, yet you own 3 other Land Rovers ranging from 1972-2009. I'd have thought some of the basic questions would have been answered when building your SIII.

I have a 1986 110 wagon that I've owned for about 7 years now. I had a Discovery before that. When I bought each vehicle, I was excited about the idea of modifying them. I remember when I bought the 110, I was Photoshopping different colours onto it as I figured I'd be painting it. Wait a minute ...

Land-Rover-Paint-Options-blue.jpgLand-Rover-Black.jpgLand-Rover-G4.jpgLand-Rover-Grey-Tinted.jpg

Guess what. It's still blue.

I also decided I wanted to move my carpc from my old Discovery to my 110. So, I had someone hack a hole in the dash and add in an aluminium box for the touch screen. Later on I found out that I cut up and destroyed the value of > $1000 worth of dash components. Plus of course, the invention of the iPad obviated the whole concept.

I'm with you on building the vehicle you want. Some people want original vehicles, some don't care. I don't care so much. For example, this summer I ripped out most of my rear trim and sprayed Al's HNR on and U-Pol Raptor on top of that. Some may hate it, but it (hopefully) works for me.

I have a 200tdi with a rebuilt turbo, full-width aftermarket intercooler, and slightly modified fuel/air mixture. With my 285/75 Goodyear Duratracs, I can do 0-100kph in about 21 seconds. I run out of gearing at around 112kph for normal driving, although I can go > 120 while passing. A nice cruising speed is about 93kph, and I can pretty much do that all day, on the interstate, on a dirt road, or through a blizzard. I get about 10.5-11 litres per 100 km at that speed, less if I'm going faster. If you can handle those numbers (and the noise) then you're going to be fine with a 200tdi. I carry ear plugs for long solo trips.

Really I think you need to divide your planning into several sections:

1. Safety
I put brakes, steering, and a roll cage in this category.

I'm not the best mechanic out there, but neither I, nor any mechanic I've ever taken my truck to, has ever been able to get my rear drum brakes working. People on here are probably going to mock and pillory me for this, but that's the fact. Last year I put in new shoes, slave cylinders, adjuster cams, and brake lines, and they still completely suck. I think the problem is that the shoes keep popping off one of the cams. I wish I'd just converted to rear disc brakes.

For the roll cage, I did a lot of research on this one and ended up with a Whitbread Off-road cage. You can see my discussion about this at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78097-Roll-cage-options-for-my-110?highlight=whitbread . I like this cage over the SD cage, as it's welded together, not bolted. They were very easy to work with, and I was fortunate to be able to get the package shipped for $200 through someone else which kept the cost down. I had it welded up by a fabricator who's also a Land Rover owner, so he understood the details of fitting that are not the same as other applications. He also suggested a new design for how the cage mounts to the chassis at the rear. This ended up adding to the cost, but it's a lot more secure now. The roll cage also provides a large platform for a roof rack, which means there's no need to buy a $1200 rack like you were planning. Just get some expanded aluminium, weld some channel on the outside and put some holes in it. Then you can have it on the top permanently, or remove it too.

Seats can be considered another safety feature. Depending on your height, the stock seats may offer no whiplash/neck protection.

2. Reliability & mechanical soundness.

If you're looking at a new bulkhead, and changing your engine, you may as well do as others have suggested and just go down to the chassis. I guess how good an idea that is depends on the state of your chassis. If you do this then you'll probably end up spending more than $30k if you're paying someone else to do it, but you'll have everything gone over and updated/replaced. I don't know if they salt the roads in CO, but getting a galvanized bulkhead and/or chassis might be a good idea. I'm in the process of installing a galvanized bulkhead on mine. I didn't go down to the chassis as mine's in good shape, but I did sandblast and paint the areas I could easily reach while the bulkhead, wings, and floors were out this summer.

At the same time, you can inspect/replace any worn bushings. You might find that pieces like your panhard rod, rear radius arms, etc., need to be replaced at this point if they're seized and won't come off. This is also a good chance to update those pieces with cranked/adjustable/whatever in anticipation of a lift.

3. Fitness for purpose

This is where you have to be honest with what you're really going to use it for. After some early mistakes, I've come along steadily, based on what I need. What I have done over the last 7 years in this category include (from memory): 12k electric winch (with cut-off switch and another master cut-off switch for the whole circuit), electric cooling fan, 2" OME/Britpart (don't ask, OK ask if you want) lift, 285/75 Goodyear Duratracs, recirculating coolant heater, warmer thermostat, dual batteries with National Luna monitor, seats, roll cage, cranked rear radius arms, adujstable panhard rod, onboard compressor and tank, custom trailer hitch, 7-pin trailer wiring, rear fuse panel, raised air intake, and sealed LED lights.

I had a Detroit locker in the back when I bought the truck, and I really like it. One of these days I'll probably put a TrueTrac in the front. You might want to put traction diffs on your list though as they really add significant capability to the 110.

4. Fun

This is where your paint job comes in. IMHO if you can do all of the above and still have budget for paint, have at it.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
I get what you and the others have said and I do appreciate your input. Right now my list goes like this: Reliability>Interior>Shakedown>Modifications>Paint. Our Series III is a restoration project. Not a modification of any sort. So, this Defender is my first dip into Defender rebuilding. And it's not just the rebuild, but the build for a specific purpose. With that being known, yes, I'm really new to Defenders, in general. That led me here and to the series of questions.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Just read through all of this. A couple of comments:

1) If you are going to keep this truck for a while, re-consider working on the 19j and put a 200tdi in it. As said previously, since you are RHD a Disco 200tdi will go in with very few issues (that all have simple solutions that have been worked out in the UK) and a proper Defender 200tdi will go in without any fabrication whatsoever. The 200tdi is a much better engine than the 19j. You'll be working that 19j very hard here in the mountains. When you add a cage, rack, oversize tires, etc. it will be working even harder. My 200tdi starts instantly, doesn't smoke, gets about 27 mpg and I can exceed 80 mph without any difficulty. I purchased it as a used engine with 125,000 miles on it. I like it so much that the thought of replacing it with a small block Chevy makes my skin crawl.

2) Good choice on tires. I'm running the same tires on my 110 with no lift using ANR1534 wheels. Yours will be different since you have a bit more offset, but try 'em out and see if you need a lift. If you don't, then that's great. You'll want to keep the truck lower to help your 19j with wind resistance.

3) John at Automotive Alchemy is a great guy and does good work. He is very busy though so you'll have to be patient. The 200tdi swap is easily done at home. I did mine myself, it was quite simple and could be done in a weekend if all necessary parts are on hand and ready to install.

3) This is subjective of course but your paint color looks cool to me.:sombrero:

DividingCreek

Explorer
Just read through all of this. A couple of comments:

1) If you are going to keep this truck for a while, re-consider working on the 19j and put a 200tdi in it. As said previously, since you are RHD a Disco 200tdi will go in with very few issues (that all have simple solutions that have been worked out in the UK) and a proper Defender 200tdi will go in without any fabrication whatsoever. The 200tdi is a much better engine than the 19j. You'll be working that 19j very hard here in the mountains. When you add a cage, rack, oversize tires, etc. it will be working even harder. My 200tdi starts instantly, doesn't smoke, gets about 27 mpg and I can exceed 80 mph without any difficulty. I purchased it as a used engine with 125,000 miles on it. I like it so much that the thought of replacing it with a small block Chevy makes my skin crawl.

:sombrero:

Couldn't agree more. See posts 21 and 22 in this thread six pages back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk