DEFENDER 110 Overland Build

DividingCreek

Explorer
Sounds like you have a 19J engine then. With rover diesels that's usually referred to as the Td engine, the naturally aspirated version is commonly called the 2.5. The td is not known for its longevity but part of that reputation was due to early variants which had blow by issues and would "run away" on their own oil vapors and grenade. Best of luck with your project.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Last edited:

EIGHTLUG

Observer
Thank you for the clarification on the engine designation. From what I've read about the "19J," it wasn't known for it's reliability. Knowing that and you saying it again just reaffirms to me that a swap is the right call. The one in our Defender does run, but there are several signs of "barn yard" fixes. Subtle and creative uses of baling wire and such. I'm sure it's worth something to someone. I may just keep it and rebuild it down the road with my sons as a little project.

Sounds like you have a 19J engine then. With rover diesels that's usually referred to as the Td engine, the naturally aspirated version is commonly called the 2.5. The td is not known for its longevity but part of that reputation was due to early variants which had blow by issues and would "run away" on their own oil vapors and grenade. Best of luck with your project.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
It's actually a Limestone '72 Series III. I've never swapped a motor on a Defender before. It should be pretty straight forward. Now which one to choose was the question. The Muscle Car guy in me would feel much more comfortable putting a SBC in it, but the LR guy in me doesn't want to see that.

I believe in the LR3 thread I did toss a pic of our LR3 and Range coming down the west side of Hayden Pass. So, yes. I do know about taking two vehicles on our adventures.

I don't see how you were riled up? I'm here to ask questions and learn. Some people seem to be more helpful than others. That's fine. Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to that. If you take the time to post, at least make it constructive, inquisitive, or funny. If you don't want to do that, move on.

This.

Isn't there another thread somewhere here that you posted a pic of your yellow series truck? I think in the "post your series pics here" thread.

That would mean you have experience with these and questions about adding a gm motor or going on family vacas with 2 vehicles are just to rile everyone up.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
It's actually a Limestone '72 Series III. I've never swapped a motor on a Defender before. It should be pretty straight forward. Now which one to choose was the question. The Muscle Car guy in me would feel much more comfortable putting a SBC in it, but the LR guy in me doesn't want to see that.

I believe in the LR3 thread I did toss a pic of our LR3 and Range coming down the west side of Hayden Pass. So, yes. I do know about taking two vehicles on our adventures.

I don't see how you were riled up? I'm here to ask questions and learn. Some people seem to be more helpful than others. That's fine. Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to that. If you take the time to post, at least make it constructive, inquisitive, or funny. If you don't want to do that, move on.

I'm not riled...but that's the tone I've felt in some of the responses. To each his own and you can certainly do as you please but the only gm engine swap I would do is into a 240z someday - not a defender.

What you have right now is a very popular rig to the folks on this forum. Some of your ideas are certainly anti purist and you'll lose 75% of the crowd right away.

Chris Snell's post says it perfectly. Take it out and see how she does. Then plan.

That all said - British racing green is my favorite vehicle color out there and your choice is close. Keep the roof white however.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
I'm not riled...but that's the tone I've felt in some of the responses. To each his own and you can certainly do as you please but the only gm engine swap I would do is into a 240z someday - not a defender.

What you have right now is a very popular rig to the folks on this forum. Some of your ideas are certainly anti purist and you'll lose 75% of the crowd right away.

Chris Snell's post says it perfectly. Take it out and see how she does. Then plan.

That all said - British racing green is my favorite vehicle color out there and your choice is close. Keep the roof white however.

Yup, the roof will 100% remain white.
I knew coming in that some would turn their nose up to any motor swap and a swap to SBC would be absolutely poo-pooed. Today, after speaking with John on the phone it really set my mind at ease with a 300TDi swap. I know it will never set land speed records. That wasn't my intention. Peace of mind and the faith I would be able to get to where I was going was. I'm open to ideas. I'm open to doing something different. I know there are people out there that shun the restomod muscle car and there are those that embrace it. Stuff like that makes the world go 'round.

PresidentGod

Curt,

There seems to be a lot of debate over your engine and suspension in this thread. Of course I have my opinion like everyone else does about the best engine and whether or not you need a lift, but you need to decide that after doing your own research.

I doubt anyone will disagree that if you're going to take your family on trips in this vehicle and you plan on taking them to trails like the Rubicon you need to be thinking about a roll cage. Gears, tires, lifts, motor swaps, bumpers, winches, roof racks - that's fun stuff to dream about and spend your time doing research on. I had a very built '95 NAS Defender 90 that I sold to get a 110 because I got my wife pregnant. One of the very first things that my 110 will get is good rollover protection - and I'm building it expedition style, not as a rockcrawler. Have you ever seen what happens when the aluminum body on one of these gets below that enormous box frame? Google it.

My 90 was on 37" tires with a (disc) Salisbury rear end, oversized chromoly axles and CVs up front (4.71 GBR stage 3 cryoed), custom driveshafts, F&R ARBs, some extreme suspension mods, bead lock wheels, etc. (I know - sacrilege - my penance was paid when I sold it for $10K less than purchase price), so I've been down the rock crawling, trail ready Defender path. My advice would be the same if you were shooting for something like my 90 was - GET A CAGE.

Safety Devices made the ones that came on the NAS models. They bolt together (DIY install), but are hard to find in the states and cost a fortune. For the same price you can have an off road shop build a custom cage for you and it will be welded together (stronger). If I were you I'd start doing research on that before you raise the center of gravity with a lift and tires.

Just my two cents.

-Jake

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Not sure what the deal is with everybody jumping on the bash wagon. Sounds like the makings of a cool 300tdi 110SW with a mild lift and tires, and an external cage.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
It must be the BMW paint. Some of these guys trip me out. If they are so vexed, why click the build log? Blows my mind...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Its a cool green color too, similar to eastnor green or early Range Rover green (just call it that and maybe it will blow over!)

MedicalCowboy

Adventurer
That's not the problem at all. I rather like the color he's going with. The problem I have is the fact that he stated he wants an Overland capable defender 110 that can carry a family of 5. Is it not already that? For 30k you should be able to build anything. Idk maybe I'm missing the point or I've had just a little too much of the fire water today lol. Now I'm rambling... Anyways very nice defender and good luck to you on the build bud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk