DEFENDER 110 Overland Build

EIGHTLUG

Observer
In the sense that it's a "110", yes it's overland capable. That's the extent of it at this point. There is a lot of work to do. My budget for the build is 30K. I don't "have" to spend that. But, it has no interior, a beat diesel, no armor, bad tires, I haven't looked into the trans or X-fer case yet, I would like to put a rack on it, lights, RTT, Cage, radio, GPS, new wiring harness,... Lets not even get into paint and body work (have you guys priced four doors lately?).

The tires are old and rotted. I'd like to be able to drive it to shops, if need be, or just to the grocery store and back. My initial post asks about tire size, because I was looking to get them replaced. And since I was replacing all 5, I may as well get the tires that it will use to fill its duties. That's why I asked. If wheel diameter or width was in need of change, I asked about swapping those too and they would also be replaced.

Oh, and thanks for your thoughts MedicalCowboy. Maybe I'm going about it different? I don't know. I'm sure once this rig is back together and on the trials, people may change their tune.

That's not the problem at all. I rather like the color he's going with. The problem I have is the fact that he stated he wants an Overland capable defender 110 that can carry a family of 5. Is it not already that? For 30k you should be able to build anything. Idk maybe I'm missing the point or I've had just a little too much of the fire water today lol. Now I'm rambling... Anyways very nice defender and good luck to you on the build bud.

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
If it was me, I'd get it mechanically sound and drive it around town. It'll build your confidence in the vehicle. That is what I do before going on a trip with my 109. Drive it to work a few times. Use it as my primary vehicle. The day before I take it off the road for final check and packing. Then I hop into it and I feel good about it.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Here's a few planning assumptions based on my experience:

rebuilt turbo diesel (200tdi or 300tdi) w R380 conversion by reputable experienced shop: $14-15k
5x 255/85/16 all terrains on steel wheels: $2k
2" lift (springs and shocks. maybe a double cardon front shaft if vibration after install-can vary): $500-$800
rear drum to disc conversion (do it yourself-too easy with right info using LR parts): $400
replace worn ujoints, bushings and gaskets on suspension-drive train: $400
Proper electrical kit with spare wire, adhesive shrink connectors and ratchet crimp for harness overhaul: $300
Sound proofing and insulation for interior (dynamat, b-quiet, second skin): $600-$1k
under dash A/C (if you don't have it) $2k installed
full length rack (front runner or hannibal): $1500

Your around $24k there. Add elbow grease, and you're in good shape for starter trips. (camping gear not included)

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
*walks back in still shaking head*

So when LR made the 110 they said max roof load for Europe would be 75kgs and the rest of the world 150kgs - then along came people who should know better and threw on racks and roof top tents, fuel and water, hi-lifts and the kitchen sink. Then to make things more fun on bends they threw on thicker less flexible springs to lift the vehicle further beyond it's stable point. Big tyres that improved manliness rather than overland capability, made the vehicle less stable, so a cage was deemed wise. All the while bits were bolted on to reduce the vehicles load capability and justify the 'HD' springs. Same old, same old

In reality:

The TD is a great engine if you don't drive it like you stole it - it's a 110 not sports car. Throw on an intercooler and an oil separator, check the 'hot spots', big ends, valve stems seals and lob on a new composite head gasket - nuff said.
The 1.66 box with an OD is the best of every world - unless you ruin the vehicle with 35's
Red/Red's on the back with white/whites on the front , coupled with decent gas shocks and D" bump stops
Wheel Bearings, seals, UJ's, TRE's and dump the drop arm ball joint in favour of a D1 TRE Drop arm
Filters, bushes, brakes service (nothing wrong with the rear drums), braided brake lines...

Common sense - the rarest sense of all is all you need!

I get two adults and three kids - 1 under 2, 1x6yrs and 1 PITA teenager AND a boxer ***** in my 110 with ALL our kit for two/three weeks away all in a 110 CSW - no rack, just two bars, no trailer AND a lot of thought about what we need not what we want

Two other things: the Front Salisbury axles are RARE as hens teeth and only fitted to very special vehicles - the standard early 110 front axle is the strongest out of the box front axle LR ever fitted to run of the mill stuff. And you have to drive like a damned fool to break one; I've managed it once since '83, so I know.

Secondly I love the colour, just love it. But don't spend money on a paint job if you are going to use the vehicle... Also out here in the big wide world, it's best to avoid any military or quasi military colour. Life is already bad enough with a US or UK passport in the fun places. Of course if you don't need a passport when you travel...

overlander

Expedition Leader
I get two adults and three kids - 1 under 2, 1x6yrs and 1 PITA teenager AND a boxer ***** in my 110 with ALL our kit for two/three weeks away all in a 110 CSW - no rack, just two bars, no trailer AND a lot of thought about what we need not what we want

Ha! You are either don't have girls or you are much better at drawing a line than I am! With 3 kids yourself, I'm guessing the later.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
Thanks for your input. When I speak with John at Automotive Alchemy, I'll ask him about rebuilding the diesel that's in it. It shows 140K on the odometer. Who knows how long ago that quit working or if it actually is correct. I see you're in the UK. Do they verify mileage on the MOT? If so, and it does indeed have 140K on it, it has been a tough 140,000 miles. I'll go snap a photo or two of it in a bit.

I didn't know that the Land Rover axles were so robust. Here in America everyone screams Dana 60 or bust. I'm sure, if I'm not rock crawling, I'll be okay. Taking the Defender on the Rubicon Trail is on my to-do list. I guess that would be its true test.

Once it's back together and on the trails, I plan to add items on an "as needed" basis. Roof rack, snorkel, lighting...etc. I agree with you on the premise of a low center of gravity. It's the main reason I've not installed a roof rack on the LR3 or the MkIII. Well, that and the fact that I take both on trails. So, the same 5 people's worth of gear but double the space. With the 110, the dynamic may chance. Especially, once I begin to trust it more and more.

*walks back in still shaking head*

So when LR made the 110 they said max roof load for Europe would be 75kgs and the rest of the world 150kgs - then along came people who should know better and threw on racks and roof top tents, fuel and water, hi-lifts and the kitchen sink. Then to make things more fun on bends they threw on thicker less flexible springs to lift the vehicle further beyond it's stable point. Big tyres that improved manliness rather than overland capability, made the vehicle less stable, so a cage was deemed wise. All the while bits were bolted on to reduce the vehicles load capability and justify the 'HD' springs. Same old, same old

In reality:

The TD is a great engine if you don't drive it like you stole it - it's a 110 not sports car. Throw on an intercooler and an oil separator, check the 'hot spots', big ends, valve stems seals and lob on a new composite head gasket - nuff said.
The 1.66 box with an OD is the best of every world - unless you ruin the vehicle with 35's
Red/Red's on the back with white/whites on the front , coupled with decent gas shocks and D" bump stops
Wheel Bearings, seals, UJ's, TRE's and dump the drop arm ball joint in favour of a D1 TRE Drop arm
Filters, bushes, brakes service (nothing wrong with the rear drums), braided brake lines...

Common sense - the rarest sense of all is all you need!

Two other things: the Front Salisbury axles are RARE as hens teeth and only fitted to very special vehicles - the standard early 110 front axle is the strongest out of the box front axle LR ever fitted to run of the mill stuff. And you have to drive like a damned fool to break one; I've managed it once since '83, so I know.

Secondly I love the colour, just love it. But don't spend money on a paint job if you are going to use the vehicle... Also out here in the big wide world, it's best to avoid any military or quasi military colour. Life is already bad enough with a US or UK passport in the fun places. Of course if you don't need a passport when you travel...

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
I'll admit I don't know anything about that engine, nor do I want to get into a debate about approach with mouse, but I'll say this. The UK is an island. You live on the continental divide. I'll leave it at that.

If trail running is what you want to do, then it sounds like your plan is dump your gear at a campsite before you off road. The front runner and hannibal full length roof racks are unbelievably light. I can lift it with one arm with the right angle. That gives you a place to put a lot of soft items for all you family baggage up there should you need to expand beyond the cabin. It gives you options.

On the topic of options, that is all I am giving you. The choice is yours. good luck.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
This is what I'm looking at. It's a Front Runner.
http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/front-runner/front-runner-slimline-full-rack-2-8m-for-defender-110.html

I'll admit I don't know anything about that engine, nor do I want to get into a debate about approach with mouse, but I'll say this. The UK is an island. You live on the continental divide. I'll leave it at that.

If trail running is what you want to do, then it sounds like your plan is dump your gear at a campsite before you off road. The front runner and hannibal full length roof racks are unbelievably light. I can lift it with one arm with the right angle. That gives you a place to put a lot of soft items for all you family baggage up there should you need to expand beyond the cabin. It gives you options.

On the topic of options, that is all I am giving you. The choice is yours. good luck.

Sirocco

Explorer
Drop $10k on the truck and spend the rest travelling!

Use the engine till it breaks, the rest will be fine. Don't over think or ask too many experts otherwise you will never 'quite be ready' to leave.

When I had my old N/A 90 I met a chap who had spent a fortune kitting out an old V8 90 and had all the gear. I thought, that is the future for travelling. He was planning to tour all of Europe. I thought it was great. So great I sold that POS (chassis was rotten and everything broke on it) and scouted for a 300tdi 90. Within 2 months I had that 90. We planned a 4 week trip to Morocco for later in the year and 6 months later I had a well prepared (over prepared) 90 and was on my way to Africa. The year after we toured Europe. The year after that I went to West Africa for a mapping project for an NGO. 2 years after that I'm crossing the former USSR from the UK to Vladivostok.

Where is the guy in the V8 90? sold it, it wasn't big enough, bought a Land Cruiser. Kitted it out. Has he done his trip around Europe yet he was planning back in 2007? Nope. Use the kit you have and see what works for you. I know my 90 is far more capable offroad than I will ever allow myself or it to be used for.

Some real world data for you:

My 300tdi is on 136k miles now, never touched it. We are in Siberia. Everything transmission and engine wise is standard expect a pair of detroit truetrac's in the diffs. we run Koni shocks, terrafirma springs and 255/85s on wolf rims. From the UK we have travelled over 22,000 miles in 22 countries in all kinds of terrain and weather in the last 7 months.

What I did before we left:

new bushes
new brake pads
new wheel bearings
new TRE's
Full fluid change
Clutch change
Timing belt change

quit jobs, gave the keys to the landlord, said goodbye to the parents and left.

problems on the road:

viscous fan gone (welded up in russia)
door handle snapped by tajik customs (bolted back down with bigger bolt)
UJ went in Norway (swapped out with spare, used a local garage for their vice)
Clutch slave leaking since Uzbekistan (keep topping up, carrying a spare but not changed it yet)
Windscreen seal split (filled with silicone)
smashed drivers side window (handmade one from plastic in Siberia)

fluids and filters changed every 6000 miles, full brake pad change the other day.

That is real world experience over some of the toughest terrain in the northern hemisphere. No going home to wash and wax, no visiting the garage for a checkover, no spare parts availability etc etc. Its been driven everyday.

Overlander: We have ferries you know!

G

Last edited:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Ha! You are either don't have girls or you are much better at drawing a line than I am! With 3 kids yourself, I'm guessing the later.

The Lord has blessed me with three girls - whether as punishement for a life of sin or as a warning to others I do not know.... To make my life more interesting I am 47 years old and still changing diapers - I will still be suffering from teenage daughter affliction when I am in my 60's. I also worked out that I will have seen 19 years of primary school nativity plays by the time I am done!

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard

As Gareth said, we have ferries, we also have a tunnel. Three days of steady travel gives you the former Soviet Union, Turkey, Greece, North Africa, Scandinavia or prety much anywhere in the Whole of both Eastern and Western Europe... Mountains, Deserts, Forests, thousands of years of history all on the door step

overlander

Expedition Leader
The Lord has blessed me with three girls - whether as punishement for a life of sin or as a warning to others I do not know.... To make my life more interesting I am 47 years old and still changing diapers - I will still be suffering from teenage daughter affliction when I am in my 60's. I also worked out that I will have seen 19 years of primary school nativity plays by the time I am done!

I have 2 girls, 6 and 9, and I'm 46. We are marooned on the same island together mate!

overlander

Expedition Leader
As Gareth said, we have ferries, we also have a tunnel. Three days of steady travel gives you the former Soviet Union, Turkey, Greece, North Africa, Scandinavia or prety much anywhere in the Whole of both Eastern and Western Europe... Mountains, Deserts, Forests, thousands of years of history all on the door step

Envy says it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk