Derek's 'BST' Tundra Build

apimpdad

Thanks!

They honestly do not look much different (in reality they aren't, and I know this lol) but I think my double cab wheel wells are bigger, because 265's look tiny.

When you say you should have never sold the 285's, is it because you liked that specific tire or the bigger size?

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks!

They honestly do not look much different (in reality they aren't, and I know this lol) but I think my double cab wheel wells are bigger, because 265's look tiny.

When you say you should have never sold the 285's, is it because you liked that specific tire or the bigger size?

You can really tell from the front or back with 285s because of the width. You can also tell with power, but your truck has more power and a better trans, so 285s might not effect you as much. Both, I should never sold my 285s because it looks so much better IMO also I loved those firestones! The ride was great, noise was quite for a MT, very tough tire, sold them with 20k miles and they still looked new, could have easily got 50-60k out of them like my buddy did. Very overlooked tire in a BFG world!

ctapia

Observer
Hey Derek24,

Can you share any info on your bike hitch (brand, cost and how you like it?) Ever since I got my lift, it's not that fun to load up my CRF250x in the back. Especially after a good days ride.

Derek24

Explorer
Hey Derek24,

Can you share any info on your bike hitch (brand, cost and how you like it?) Ever since I got my lift, it's not that fun to load up my CRF250x in the back. Especially after a good days ride.

I hear you! It's a single bike carrier from Joe Hauler. They make dual bike carriers too which are really cool! I got this one off of Craigslist years ago for $100. I believe they are around $300 or so new. They work really well and makes it a lot easier to load your bike up after a long day of riding by yourself. Well worth it. Never have had a problem with straps coming lose or losing my bikes.

ctapia

Observer
I hear you! It's a single bike carrier from Joe Hauler. They make dual bike carriers too which are really cool! I got this one off of Craigslist years ago for $100. I believe they are around $300 or so new. They work really well and makes it a lot easier to load your bike up after a long day of riding by yourself. Well worth it. Never have had a problem with straps coming lose or losing my bikes.

Thanks!

Derek24

Explorer
The Tundra is getting a little overhaul action soon. Ordered up some lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and some new tires! I'm at 155k miles and I feel it could use some TLC for the next 155K miles. I'm selling my campershell as well. It's too heavy for my liking being fully insulated, must weight close to 300lbs. My truck is noticeably faster and I'm continually pulling around 250-260 miles per half tank of gas (13 gallons) which equals to around 20mpg! Once the campershell sell I'll be ordering a softtopper, still need something to cover me when I sleep! Updates soon!

And here are my next tires!
baja_mtz.jpg

photoman

Explorer
20mpg??!!

What else have you done besides losing the weight in terms of perfromance and fuel efficiency?

Granted I have a bit of a led foot but I am only getting 12-14mpg on my last couple trips.

Derek24

Explorer
20mpg??!!

What else have you done besides losing the weight in terms of perfromance and fuel efficiency?

Granted I have a bit of a led foot but I am only getting 12-14mpg on my last couple trips.

I know I've been surprised too! From the half mark on the fuel gauge down to the next 1/4 mark I was getting ~100 miles with my stock airbox and an AFE filter. I drive the same route everyday to work and school, every week. 55-70mph average. I disconnected my battery while I installed my Volant CAI I have laying around, and I'm now consistently over three half tanks fill ups getting 160-180 miles per 1/4 tank (from the half mark down to the next mark (3/4 down)), then about 260 per half tank. I think with my headers, CAI, and exhaust (magnaflow 14" single in/out) the truck just breaths and flows much better.

Aaron, try resetting your computer by disconnecting the battery. I'm sure your filter is clean but check anyway. Also clean your mass airflow sensor, and throttle body. If you are still getting those MPG's you might want to get new o2 sensors as I have read that makes a huge difference. Hope this helps!

dyogim

Explorer
WOW, that is some impressive numbers. At best I get about 100 miles per quarter tank. That's on the freeway with a tail wind and a very light foot. LOL! I doubt I'll get rid of my shell but, the extra steel for the body armor, winch cable, steel wheels 37's and 4.88's don't quite help either. Can't wait to swap out my steel wheels for aluminum wheels and the cable to synthetic rope.

However, all that will be done after I rebuild the 2UZ V8 and swap it out with the one under the hood. Looking also at the possibility of swapping out the auto for a manual trans.

Derek24

Explorer
WOW, that is some impressive numbers. At best I get about 100 miles per quarter tank. That's on the freeway with a tail wind and a very light foot. LOL! I doubt I'll get rid of my shell but, the extra steel for the body armor, winch cable, steel wheels 37's and 4.88's don't quite help either. Can't wait to swap out my steel wheels for aluminum wheels and the cable to synthetic rope.

However, all that will be done after I rebuild the 2UZ V8 and swap it out with the one under the hood. Looking also at the possibility of swapping out the auto for a manual trans.

Yeah but your truck is so cool if I had it I wouldn't care what mileage it got! I'm sure switching wheels and cable to rope will save you a good amount of weight, should help. I saw what happened to your engine, that sucks. Anyway to swap in an 05-06 engine? Be nice with the extra power. Also I would love to swap in a manual 5 speed or 6. I know that one guy did on TS but his was a 2wd, wonder how we could do it with our 4wd's? I still want to swap in a manual transfer case and get rid of this push botton crap, I'll have to find your old post and get some ideas rolling!

dyogim

Explorer
Yeah but your truck is so cool if I had it I wouldn't care what mileage it got! I'm sure switching wheels and cable to rope will save you a good amount of weight, should help. I saw what happened to your engine, that sucks. Anyway to swap in an 05-06 engine? Be nice with the extra power. Also I would love to swap in a manual 5 speed or 6. I know that one guy did on TS but his was a 2wd, wonder how we could do it with our 4wd's? I still want to swap in a manual transfer case and get rid of this push botton crap, I'll have to find your old post and get some ideas rolling!

Staying with the 00-02 non-VVTI motors. I don't want to have to switch the ECU's and transmissions. As far as the transfer case, that's the easy part. The only thing I wasn't able to figure out is putting the front actuator on a separate switch or modifying the push button system to engage the front actuator. Without the presence of the xfer case actuator. There's a way to do it when I looked at the electrical schematics but, I didn't have one to test. All you need is a manual transfer case from either a V6 tundra, taco, runner or FJ. Swap out the input shaft coupler from the stock tundra xfer case, cut a hole in the floor board and bolt on.

Derek24

Explorer
Did a little work on my truck on my days off. Replaced the outter tie rod ends and lower balljoints. As well replaced my Icon's with my 5100's and OME 885 springs. Love the ride so much more and suits my needs more than the Icons. Also replaced my Cooper STMaxx tires with Mickey Thompson MTZ with the same size 265/75/16. I'll try and get more photo's once the rain stops which might be some time next week! Big storms coming finally! Here is some pics.....

DSCN0068.jpg

Old tie rod end being removed

DSCN0069.jpg

Got the same brand for my lower balljoints. All bought from RockAuto!

DSCN0073.jpg

New vs. Old

DSCN0076.jpg

New vs. Old

DSCN0079.jpg

This tool saved my butt. To all Tundra owners who plan on replacing their LBJ get this pitman Puller tool. It fits perfect to pop the LBJ out.

DSCN0071.jpg

New and old

DSCN0080.jpg

With the 885 springs and setting the 5100's on the second notch from the bottom, it netted me around 3 inches of lift. I love the way it sits and rides, I highly recommend 5100's and OME for 1st Gen Tundra's!

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks for the compliment. Love this truck! Here some more pics...

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

From my fender to the middle of the the hub the measurement is 23.5". Got about 2.5" of lift from the OME 885 coils with the 5100s set on the 2nd notch. It rides great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater