Derek's 'BST' Tundra Build

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Does the 885 require the top plate of a Tacoma strut? If so where were you able to get them? Are they reasonably priced?

Derek24

Explorer
Does the 885 require the top plate of a Tacoma strut? If so where were you able to get them? Are they reasonably priced?

No, all you need is a 05+ Taco isolator (rubber piece) that sits between the top plate and the 885 coils. Wheelers sells them for $14. That's all!

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I know I've been surprised too! From the half mark on the fuel gauge down to the next 1/4 mark I was getting ~100 miles with my stock airbox and an AFE filter. I disconnected my battery while I installed my Volant CAI I have laying around, and I'm now consistently over three half tanks fill ups getting 160-180 miles per 1/4 tank (from the half mark down to the next mark (3/4 down)), then about 260 per half tank.

Since we are all curious why not just actually check the mileage? Just reset the trip odo at each fill and do the math. Numbers or it isn't real! LOL!

Derek24

Explorer
That's what I do! 260 /13=20.....20mpg. I ran it till I was sputtering and almost had to push my truck to the pump, not smart or good to do but I knew I was empty. Tundras have 26 gallon fuel tank.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Awesome

The 885 Bilstein set up sounds awesome. If at some point a heavy bumper and winch are needed, all you have to do is adjust the bilstein and correct any drop in the front. Thanks for the response on the rubber isolator. That is pretty exciting news because that was the route I was hoping to go.

seanpistol

Explorer
As mentioned before, I got tired of the automatic locker and being I just bought new tires I did'nt want to kill them in less then a year like before. So, after researching for weeks, I was set on an LSD to replace the Powertrax. After a trip in my brothers old 02' Tundra with the factory LSD I changed my mind and had to stay with a locker. ARB was having a special about a year ago, if you buy a locker you get the compressor for free. Thier promotion work on me and an ARB RD129 was on order.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

I love this locker!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQK_N0xfA8"]YouTube - Testing the ARB Locker[/ame]

Was the compressor they threw in one that you can also use to air up your tires? :)

Derek24

Explorer
Was the compressor they threw in one that you can also use to air up your tires? :)

They say you can but this is the mini compressor and probably would take for ever to do and might over work the compressor. It's really just for operating the lockers. And to answer you question from TS, I have not seen ARB offer a free air compressor with the locker since I bought mine. If you want on board air, look into valair or CO2 tanks like what I have!

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words! The reason I switched is because I did was not using my Icon coilovers to their potential and what i do with my truck is far less than what the Icons can handle. Also the price difference makes me able to buy other mods that help me more out on the trials. I love the ride of my OME and 5100 setup. It gives me about 2.5" of lift and rides great, if I want it higher then I can move a notch up on my 5100s but it is perfect now.

The best mod so far, the ARB locker has saved me many times! I once went off the rode up in Tahoe during the winter with the front passenger side buried in snow and the driver side rear wheel two feet in the air, I locked the rear and punched it in reverse and I pulled right out. No harm to the truck at all, but it saved me the embarrassment of getting towed out, and LSD or open end would have done nothing! The ARB has given me no troubles at all, even after not being used for months, it locks all the time. The only problems I have heard with air leaks is the installer not being careful, thus the reason I had it installed by someone who new what he was doing and has done one before. I feel lockers are like having 4wd, you may not use it a lot, but when you need it you are happy you do! I recommend an ARB to everyone. It is expensive but you do get what you pay for and I always say if you do it right the first time you save yourself a lot of money and time!

Derek24

Explorer
Installed my 22" LED light bar today that was delivered today! It's a cheaper Chinese knock-off made by Tuff, so we will see how it performs. So far it looks pretty bright and a 5th the cost of others!

DSCN0276_zps96fdb2aa.jpg

DSCN0277_zps2371fbd5.jpg

Also been working on my roof rack made by Surco. I ordered up six 4" LED flood light and installed 2 on each sides and 2 on the back. I will be installing 6 HID spot lights facing forward as well on the rack, which I had on the front bumper before. I have a week long Expo trip to the Mohave desert and Death Valley next month so I have alot to do before then. Also have my dual battery setup still awaiting install! More to come

DSCN0280_zpscc4a9048.jpg

uscg2008

Explorer
Sub'd for this still...... Loving how clean your tundy is. Kinda makes me wish I got the one I was looking at while I was looking at my Tacoma that I bought 3 spaces down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater