Derek's 'BST' Tundra Build

Derek24

Explorer
To all those left out, overlooked, very capable 1st Generation Tundra owners, I present to you my ‘2000 Toyota Tundra build’ (Say that five times fast). I’ve always wanted one of these trucks from the first time my Dad pull up the drive way in a shiny green one in late 99’; probably the first one bought in the Bay Area (now I realize why he told me to sweep out the garage-“I’ll be back in a minute”). It took 8 more years till the day all my slaving paid off and I bought my Tundra in High School. Coming up on four years of a love and hate ownership I would like to take you on my journey of my never ending build. I hope I can inspire future Tundra owners and added to the wealth of information on this site. Here we go…

When I first bought it back in 2007 :victory:
camerapics023.jpg

Reactions: TDJ

Derek24

Explorer
Next I installed my wheels and tires I had on my old T100 onto my Tundra. Also gave it a nice detail job.
camerapics033.jpg

Now that I had tires and wheels and being 16 at that time I wanted lift. So I order a 3" spacer lift and a single AAL for the rear.
camerapics041.jpg

camerapics050.jpg

camerapics046.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
A couple of days later I had a 14" magnaflow installed. (Had to impress the girls right?)
IMG_0003-1.jpg

camerapics048.jpg

Next up was bigger tires: 285/75/16. I opted for some cheapo tires off of craiglist. I got all four for $400, which made me happy because making $9/hr at the time it was hard to get BFG's. They worked well offroad, but wore quickly.
IMG_0006.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Next I added a Waag pusg bar that I took off my Dad's Tundra he was selling at the time.
IMG_0023-1.jpg

After 4wheeling my Tundra for a while I concluded that an open end rear end is not going to cut it. I purchased and installed myself a Powertrax No-Slip Locker. It was a great unit and 100x better offroad, but being a automatic locker it killed my 285's in 10k miles and was scary driving in the snow. It got old after about a year.
IMG_0017-2.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
I then found a killer deal on a Deaver 10 Pack on craigslist. I also order some Bilstein 5100's to go with the Deaver's. I loved this setup. It felt like riding in a Lexus; very smooth. Although it was a luxury I eventually removed and sold them because I carry motorcycles in the bed almost every week. If you don't carry alot of weight i recommend these springs!
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
Next up was a big day: new tires, Camburg UCA's, 5100's up front. Again I got a great deal on my Camburg UCA's-from the same guy-and decided to go the 5100 route up front and get rid of the clunk caused by the 3" spacer. Strapped on cash I again purchased the same tires, from the same guy, for the same price, but 265's this time. Not sure why I went down a size; mood swings I guess?

Out with the old
Tundra14.jpg

Stock UCA out
IMG_0144.jpg

Camburg UCA and 5100 in. 5100's set on 4th notch-2" lift.
IMG_0164.jpg

New stance
IMG_0168.jpg

jim65wagon

To all those left out, overlooked, very capable 1st Generation Tundra owners, I present to you my ‘Two-Thousand Toyota Tundra Transformation’ (Say that five times fast).

Cool! Another Tundra build thread! Exactly what this forum needs!

I fixed your Tundra tongue twister so it reads with all "T"s and you can call it the 5T build for short......

Keep posting!

Derek24

Explorer
I then added some tint. I bought a DIY tint kit off of ebay. All the windows were pre-cut for my truck, all I had to do is make sure all the windows were clean and then apply the tint. For $30 I spent I love it. There are some flaws, but it works and it was a fun project. 30% front, 5% rear which comes out to be close to 2% since its over the factory tint. Yes its hard to see out at night!
IMG_0072-1.jpg

IMG_0073-1.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Let's see (I'm digging through alot of pics) next it was time to get rid of that annoying exhaust leak. JBA Headers were on order.

I have to thank my buddy Matt (Returias) for helping me with this project. After 2 days in his garage we both limped out into the sun for some natural healing. Ten bloody knuckles, a stiff neck, and a broke back we were done!

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

I do recommend the JBA's. The added power is noticable and well worth the install.

Sound video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YnpQWIE90"]YouTube - Toyota Tundra with JBA Headers[/ame]

Derek24

Explorer
As mentioned before, I got tired of the automatic locker and being I just bought new tires I did'nt want to kill them in less then a year like before. So, after researching for weeks, I was set on an LSD to replace the Powertrax. After a trip in my brothers old 02' Tundra with the factory LSD I changed my mind and had to stay with a locker. ARB was having a special about a year ago, if you buy a locker you get the compressor for free. Thier promotion work on me and an ARB RD129 was on order.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

I love this locker!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQK_N0xfA8"]YouTube - Testing the ARB Locker[/ame]

Derek24

Explorer
Well Photobucket had enough of me tonight. I'll continue tomorrow, and sorry for some of the large pictures I will go through and edit those. Thanks Jim for the fix, thats much harder to say now lol!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
It's raining Tundybirds today! Thanks for taking the time to showcase yer sweet Tundra.

Derek24

Explorer
I do love Craigslist. I found this Softopper for $100 in perfect condition too. Although it was made for 05+ Tacoma's it fit, just a little small, but it kept the rain and snow out.
IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
At this point I said to myself I was done, but to everyone on this site you know it never is. Last summer on my way to a Tundrasolutions meet wheelin the Barney Riley Trail in the Serria's, I hit a deer at about 60mph. I was picturing my whole front smashed, but all the deer did was bend the front bumper. Now my truck looks hungry! Well that was worth $2500 to the insurance people, and somehow after that a few things ended up on my door step...

IMG_0733.jpg

Then xmas came early
IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

285/75/16 Firestone Destination MT's. Love these tires.

Icons3.jpg

Icon Extended Travel CO's. These Icon's are in their own world, there's nothing like it. The faster you go the smoother they get, but around town they ride very nice. All around I'm very happy!

I removed my front swaybar at this time and installed Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings. Removing the swaybar improved ride quality tremendously and really let the Icons stretch.
Icons2.jpg

Icons.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater