Derek's 'BST' Tundra Build

jim65wagon

I like those wheels

How long does it take to do the header install and did you have to change anything else on the exhaust? I've got a bad gasket and when I get tired of the ticking sound, I'm thinking of going to headers.....

Derek24

Explorer
I like those wheels

How long does it take to do the header install and did you have to change anything else on the exhaust? I've got a bad gasket and when I get tired of the ticking sound, I'm thinking of going to headers.....

Thanks! It took my budy and I two days to do the Headers, but that was taking our time and having to make some trips to auto store and lunch. I would say 10hrs all together. If I did it again it would take half the time. It's easier to just remove the motor mounts to get to all the nuts. I worked around the passenger side mount, but had to take the drive side off. Thinking about it now I should have just removed them both. Take your time thats all it is, not very hard just time consuming.

Use Percy gaskets for the header, Toyota gasket I have read work fine also, but the Percy's cover more of the flange. Also for the collector gasket (where header mounts to the rest of the exhaust) Remflex sells a gasket that works perfectly and for me it been almost two years and there are no leaks anywhere. Oh and nothing else has to be changed to the exhaust when adding headers. Just a "simple" swap. If you want there is a Y-Pipe that can be added, but from what I've read its not noticeable for the price....

Retarius

Observer
if your looking to get rid of that sound mat, I think you should bring it to MOAB and Ill take it off your hands...

Derek24

Explorer
if your looking to get rid of that sound mat, I think you should bring it to MOAB and Ill take it off your hands...

Sounds good, you can have it! We'll break in your new home with a little sound deadening and header install!:sombrero:

Retarius

Observer
Sounds good, you can have it! We'll break in your new home with a little sound deadening and header install!:sombrero:

Sounds like a plan! Unfortunately we can only fit the bed of my truck in the garage....at least well get a tan!

"A violent action will beat a well thought out plan every time"
Love This Sig JNich77!!! :ar15:

Derek24

Explorer
Picked up a nice Carryboy Shell off of craigslist. Now I have a place to sleep! It came with Yakima mounting rails already installed on the top, but no rack. Anyone know of a roof basket that will mount to the Yakima mounts?

IMG_0114.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks! I found someone selling a Yakima Loadwarrior rack on CL today with some extra's, I might have to give him a call. Got to love craigslist!! Here's a few pics of today while I was exploring the Sonoma Coast area.

IMG_0135-1.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That cap looks good on yer truck. I like that style better than the one we have.

N

NorCalBorn

Picked up a nice Carryboy Shell off of craigslist. Now I have a place to sleep! It came with Yakima mounting rails already installed on the top, but no rack. Anyone know of a roof basket that will mount to the Yakima mounts?

IMG_0114.jpg

If you're still looking for a system I have roughly 90% worth of Thule stuff from 2 season's ago that has been sitting since I got my new setup. I'd be happy to meet up and we can see how it'll all work itself out. I was asking $800 for the entire batch of gear at the time but am wanting it gone asap so I'm willing to negotiate pricing based on what all you might want.

Let me know, if you're avatar info's right you're in Sunnyvale and I'm right across the Dumbarton. :D

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks all! I'm loving the look and ride everyday. NorCalBorn, I live in the North Bay now, but after buying that shell and a dual sport in the near future I will be a little tight on cash. If something does'nt work out I will give you a ring. All I really want is the basket, that way I can mount lights and more lights to it. PM me what you have and maybe I can work something out! Thanks for the offer too, thats nice!

NegroTundra

Derek, I knew you'd come around to the hard shell the minute I saw you bought a soft convertible. Cant beat em' for extended backcountry travel. Love the new wheels man, your makin me miss the Negro. Although, do not have one bad thing to say about the tacoma. Its coming along, and I may start a build thread for it on here once "done". Hace flojo

Derek24

Explorer
Derek, I knew you'd come around to the hard shell the minute I saw you bought a soft convertible. Cant beat em' for extended backcountry travel. Love the new wheels man, your makin me miss the Negro. Although, do not have one bad thing to say about the tacoma. Its coming along, and I may start a build thread for it on here once "done". Hace flojo

Thanks Clay! Only reason I bought that softopper was because there were none like this, you're exactly right! Now I won't freeze in the middle of the desert anymore, althought I do lose the front row seats of the night sky (custom moon roof on a shell?hmm?). I'm glad the Taco is working out for you, if I wasn't in a Tundra thats were I'd be. Lets see the build!

dubk_trd

Observer
nice find it also match your truck talking about a deal

IMG_0114.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
I had my rotors turned a couple months ago and ever since I've had problems. Wierd sounds, shaking steering wheel when applying brakes, so I fixed that once and for all. Order up some EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads. Now, its quite, smooth, and stops much better!
IMG_0142-1.jpg

Also right when I finished the mail lady dropped off something special! Added like 50hp and 10mpg easily :)!!
IMG_0143-1.jpg

Now after looking under the front, I see I have a torn CV boot....ahhhhh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach