Derek's 'BST' Tundra Build

jim65wagon

I find it funny how similar trucks can be so different.

My first "big" tires were the 255/85s. With a 1.5" lift and the 16x8s w/4" BS I simply smashed the pinchweld and replaced the liner - flattening it against the fenderwell with a well placed screw.
The 285s are with the same lift. I had to remove the liner at the rear of the well (and BFH a little more forcefully) as well as trim the front flare and bumper. So far no rub even when the winch is on.

I'm guessing it has to do with individual tire sizes. The Maxx 285s are listed narrower than most 285s. I'm guessing the Firestones run taller and or wider

Derek24

Explorer
I agree, and it is very weird how the same trucks can be so different. These Firestone's have huge lugs on them which I think makes them run bigger than other 285's. I had other 285's a long time ago and they never rubbed as these do, so I'm guessing its just Firestone. At least I'll have plenty of room with my new tires!

Derek24

Explorer
When you did the 3" spacer did the ride change. Did you need an alignment.

Sure did, it rode like crap to say the least compared to the Icon's now. I had to do an alignment. Anytime you mess with you front suspension you should do an alignment.

Derek24

Explorer
New tires are here! Be on the truck tomorrow!

IMG_2619.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Wow Rolly, it looks like a different K5! Glad they worked out for you, you'll love those tires! I sure do miss them, and when the time comes to buy MT's again it will be the Firestones. I'l get pics of my truck with the new tires on soon....

Derek24

Explorer
I've got the time, it's the patience that typically runs short. How long did it take you?

It's an all day project. 5-6hrs with breaks. I took a lot of time re-routing my stereo wire, I also steam cleaned my carpet before installing back in the truck. You will find that your truck is not as clean as you thought it was...

Butcher54

Adventurer
so since you sold your wheels with your old tires, what rims are you gonna be running? and what BS. I wanna run those 285/75/16 like you have but wasnt sure about the BS. Im going to be installing a set of ICONs up front and already planing on cutting the pinch welds. I want to order my wheels early this week so let me know.
Thanks

Derek24

Explorer
so since you sold your wheels with your old tires, what rims are you gonna be running? and what BS. I wanna run those 285/75/16 like you have but wasnt sure about the BS. Im going to be installing a set of ICONs up front and already planing on cutting the pinch welds. I want to order my wheels early this week so let me know.
Thanks
I'm still running my black Raceline wheels. Those were my old rims I had laying around and decided to sell those with my tires for anyone who wanted a package deal, which Rolly got. My Raceline's I believe are 4" or 4.5" BS, I forget. I believe you want 4" BS, but someone correct me I get confused on all this BS bs. You'll definitely have to cut the pinch weld, I was running 1.25" wheel spacers up front because the tires also rubbed my frame (another reason I went down a size).

These are the rims I have now. Raceline 16x8 4" BS I think...
IMG_2234.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Finally have time to post up some pics of my new tires. These Coopers are nice and quite, kind of weird not hearing my tires anymore, I've never have had AT's. They are great in the rain as well, never had tires with sipping either! It's been about two weeks so far and about 800 miles and I really like these tires. I got some power back and MPG's going back down to 265/75/16, so that is nice too. Cooper Stmaxx have my vote!

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach