Diesel FJcruiser

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
:drool: sweet mother.....I want one. I could use the bio diesel we use for our 3500, hmm. Could I send you both 3500 and Tacoma and swap the cummins into it haha.

hilux30

Observer
My 07 4x4 is paid off, I'm selling my business soon then I would do it, but the truck got 110k and the frame is starting to show a little rust. This investment is a long term one, I would never want to sell it after the conversion. Eastwood products has good chemicals to clean and seal the frame, just not sure if it's gonna work long term ... decisions decisions...

dieseltoys

Eastwood makes some great stuff. Normally, when we get rusty vehicles in the shop we strip the frame down when the engine/trans is removed. We bead blast where needed, then coat the frame with an industrial zinc oxide primer to chemically stop any rust we cant physically remove. The final application is POR15 to the frame. This will make the frame not only look new but will protect for a long, long time.

My 07 4x4 is paid off, I'm selling my business soon then I would do it, but the truck got 110k and the frame is starting to show a little rust. This investment is a long term one, I would never want to sell it after the conversion. Eastwood products has good chemicals to clean and seal the frame, just not sure if it's gonna work long term ... decisions decisions...

Surfy

Adventurer
Nice work!

But - i would buy a V8 Land Cruiser 200 directly and import them, when i really love drove a diesel?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very interesting....

Hey, quick dumb question: your web site says the conversions include the engine and tranny, yes? So...(a) am I assuming the Transfer case remains stock and (b) does this mean that in theory it would be possible to drop a D4D with a manual tranny into a 4th gen 4runner? And if so, which manual tranny would that be, a 5 speed or a 6 speed? Would the multi-mode 4wd still work?

Reason I ask about the multi-mode is that I don't know of any vehicle Toyota makes that has both multi-mode AND a manual transmission* and I would wonder about whether there would be an ECU that would work for that setup (if it doesn't work, would I be right in thinking that a 6 speed manual and full-time 4wd drivetrain from an FJC would work, since there is an ECU with that combination of features?)

....not that I have $25k in the bank, it's just more of a curiosity thing. ;)

* From my recollection, the 4x4 Toyotas available in the US offer the following combinations of engines/transmissions/transfer cases:

-- Automatic transmission with multi-mode (Sequoia, 3rd gen 4runner [some], 4th gen V6 4runner[all])
-- Automatic transmission with conventional 4wd (Tacoma, Tundra, 5th gen 4runner, FJ Cruiser)
-- Automatic transmission with full-time 4wd (Land cruiser, 4th gen 4runner V8, 5th gen 4runner limited, GX470/460)
-- Manual transmission with conventional 4wd (Tacoma)
-- Manual transmission with full-time 4wd (FJ Cruiser)

Did I miss any?

Last edited:

dieseltoys

Very interesting....

Hey, quick dumb question: your web site says the conversions include the engine and tranny, yes? So...(a) am I assuming the Transfer case remains stock and (b) does this mean that in theory it would be possible to drop a D4D with a manual tranny into a 4th gen 4runner? And if so, which manual tranny would that be, a 5 speed or a 6 speed? Would the multi-mode 4wd still work?

Yes the conversion includes the diesel engine/trans. Depends on the application. For some vehicles, the stock electronically controlled tcase remains during the conversion. For others, we swap it out. Yes it is possible to drop a manual transmission into a 4th gen 4runner. We can use either an R150F or an RA61. The 6-speeds are junk though so we never recommend them. The tried and true 5-speeds are fantastic with only a tiny difference in final drive than the 6-speeds. Yes, multi-mode will work post conversion.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have a 2012 fjc, and also other diesel trucks. Not sure I would want to spend 25k on a conversion. For me I could just think of so many others things to do with the money, like travel or buy another vehicle. I guess the 4.0 gas does such a good job IMO it's not worth replacing.
If only I were rich! lol

dieseltoys

Thanks

With the tuner, you've got 5 tune settings available. Tune #5 adds approx 80 ft/lbs. The first 3 settings really don't affect economy if you keep your foot off of it. On 4-5, your economy will suffer by a few mpg's but nothing huge. Many parts are available through your local Toyota dealership (uses same oil filter as a 2.7 gas engine). Yes, we stock parts for our customers.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the info.

Looks very nice, and looks like it came stock.

I think the cost is justified, you guys do great work.

downhill

Adventurer
Very impressive! With all the ticking and clacking from the 4.0, that diesel is not that much worse, LOL. How much does the diesel add to the weight of the truck? Any issues with GVW on the Gen II Tacoma?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete