Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Let’s look at this,
most older diesel motors are waterproof,
most mechanical injection pumps can be used to run the motor with different types of fuel,
Diesel motor is reliable, it’s economical, easy to work on, it consumes only 0.13% of fuel idling, vs gasoline that’s 60% plus,
Diesel motor runs cooler,
Diesel motor is very popular in every country if u ever drive your rig there.
It has more resale value due to all I mentioned.
Diesel fuel is cheap all over the world.
Older diesel motors don’t need smog checked in USA.

It’s your turn, tell me the advantages of gasoline engine.

I'll play, just for fun.
-gas is lighter. Better off road performance, higher cargo capacity, less wear on front unit bearings
-gas is more reliable
-a little bit of water in the fuel won't destroy a gas engine
-run ok on wet nasty 3rd world country fuel.
-way better in the winter
-capable of short trips and local chores
-better choice for ''local only'' work trucks
-cheaper to repair
-no cab removal needed for major repairs. Technicians choice.
-much cheaper to buy and insure
-no block heater, that needs to be plugged in every winter night

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
I sure respect your opinion, I’ll see u in the desert of Mongolia with your gasoline powered truck ;)
Make sure to bring a lot of gasoline with you.

nickw

Adventurer
Let’s look at this,
most older diesel motors are waterproof,
most mechanical injection pumps can be used to run the motor with different types of fuel,
Diesel motor is reliable, it’s economical, easy to work on, it consumes only 0.13% of fuel idling, vs gasoline that’s 60% plus,
Diesel motor runs cooler,
Diesel motor is very popular in every country if u ever drive your rig there.
It has more resale value due to all I mentioned.
Diesel fuel is cheap all over the world.
Older diesel motors don’t need smog checked in USA.

It’s your turn, tell me the advantages of gasoline engine.
If your are going to give the OP a recommendation on a new diesel pickup, why would you recommend something that offers none of the advantages you just pointed out? The new more powerful diesels tick very few of the boxes you listed, they are certainly not waterproof, can't be run with anything but ULSD that can't be found in many developing countries, are not easy to work on, not cheap or more reliable than gas and don't run cool. They have benefits for sure and work well for guys that need them...

That 6.5L you have certainly doesn't have a great reputation, I know some guys can get them to work, but many don't. It has what, 190-200 hp? I'd take a V8 gas with 2x the power at 2/3rd of the weight offroad any day. Any of the newer V8 petrols are good well into the high miles, particularly the HD / Big Block models like the Ford 6.2s, Hemi's, etc.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mongolia has nothing to do with it. For me at least. ......and every single person I ever wheeled or camped with.

But fyi, I did use to tow 300 gallons of diesel every year during hurricane season. Really wasn't a big deal. Last year I had a 55g drum of gasoline in the bed of the truck for such.

nickw

Adventurer
I sure respect your opinion, I’ll see u in the desert of Mongolia with your gasoline powered truck ;)
Make sure to bring a lot of gasoline with you.
[/QUOTE

You may wanna rethink your post a bit, these cool Russian vans, which we've all see on TV motoring around in the deserts of Mongolia are all PETROL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAZ-452

According to:

http://bumantourmongolia.com/travel-tips-mongolia/tour-vehicles-mongolia/

"UAZ-452 or Purgon
Purgon is a Russian van that made for military use and has a capacity of 8 passengers, including a driver and medium trunk, so it’s very tough and one of the experts for the Mongolian road condition. It is one of the best off-road vehicles ever known in Mongolia, even it is not comfortable it will take you to the any places you wanted. The only thing is, it has no air conditioner, so passengers have to open the window all time. Fuel consumption is 15-18L petrol on off-road. Specially suitable for dirt road or extreme off-road tours."

REDROVER

Explorer
Haha that cool Russian van that u have seen on tv, we have owned one of this UAZ vans for many years before moving to USA,
There is noting cool about it.

REDROVER

Explorer
My 6.5 diesel took us half way around the world and brought us back without one single issue.

drove to Bering sea,
Mexico
Canada
Alaska
Next year to Australia.

what’s your longest trip in your gasoline powered vehicle?
4 cylinder diesel Land Rovers and land cruisers crossed continents, yet in modern America u still talk about big block gasoline, We live in 2019.

nickw

Adventurer
Haha that cool Russian van that u have seen on tv, we have owned one of this UAZ vans for many years before moving to USA,
There is noting cool about it.
But they are petrol....so full circle to the OP, and your recommendation based on "....well if you were in Mongolia", kinda throws your point into a tailspin eh?

nickw

Adventurer
My 6.5 diesel took us half way around the world and brought us back without one single issue.

drove to Bering sea,
Mexico
Canada
Alaska
Next year to Australia.

what’s your longest trip in your gasoline powered vehicle?
4 cylinder diesel Land Rovers and land cruisers crossed continents, yet in modern America u still talk about big block gasoline, We live in 2019.
Your idea of halfway around the world is just North America? I've driven in all those places, never had a problem getting gas. Lots of folks specifically purchase petrol in the northern climates due to the cold...

Don't forget these folks, FJ60, petrol engine, I'm guessing not many folks on the face of the earth have traveled more:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...and-cruiser-692000-km-and-counting-92537.html

Or Tom Sheppard back in the 70's:

http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk...rward-control-trans-sahara-expedition-vehicle

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Observer
I really enjoy the Buliwyf/Redrover discussion. I’ll add some points to each list given. Gas is more flammable in an accident. Buy a gas vehicle for all of the reasons Buliwyf said if it can fit into your needs. Personally I just love diesel trucks. But the gas/diesel gap is closing every day. Towing diesel wins hands down. It’s just more effortless, not to say a gasser can’t do it. I propose we all join together in hating those damn electric trucks like Rivian! Even though I may get on the wait list for one and am in love, i’m Going to continue hating on them outwardly until we finally reach the Mecca which to me is diesel electric.

nickw

Adventurer
I really enjoy the Buliwyf/Redrover discussion. I’ll add some points to each list given. Gas is more flammable in an accident. Buy a gas vehicle for all of the reasons Buliwyf said if it can fit into your needs. Personally I just love diesel trucks. But the gas/diesel gap is closing every day. Towing diesel wins hands down. It’s just more effortless, not to say a gasser can’t do it. I propose we all join together in hating those damn electric trucks like Rivian! Even though I may get on the wait list for one and am in love, i’m Going to continue hating on them outwardly until we finally reach the Mecca which to me is diesel electric.

Those Rivians are something else though and the potential they have for offroad use by way of getting rid of all the u-joints, transfer cases, transmissions, etc. Not to mention, they have 0-60 times in less than 4 seconds which is better than 95% of sports cars out there.

I've always been surprised the diesel/electric thing hasn't caught on, seems like an easy win, but I assume there is some sort of packaging problem (or $$) for small scale because you'd think you would see it in Semi Trucks and some of the smaller heavy equipment, which you don't, only the real big equipment and locomotives.

Its hard to recomend a diesel for travel to foreign countries, when we all know most folks here have a hard time getting out of the lower 48 as it is. I always found that argument amusing. When am I ever going to drive to mongolia?

Kevin

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I find that a large part of the "argument" for various things, is because someone likes the idea of being capable of hard road overland travel in Africa, etc. In some ways it not too far off from 80$k Jeeps on 37"s driving around parking lots. Many folks might be better off buying cheaper stuff, and just choosing a profession, or location that actually lets them use it regularly.

You want to know what I see the most of in remote locations, especially on really bad roads? Older Subarus, 5-15 year old slightly/unmodified 4x4s, and light pickups. Almost all of them fueled by gasoline interestingly enough.

Anyways, here's the arguments I see as legitimate.
Do you haul over 10klbs regularly? Yes/NO
Do you REALLY want a diesel cause it makes you feel good? Yes/No

If Yes, feel free to buy a diesel. If No, enjoy the following.
Lower cost of ownership
Cheaper repairs
Lower weight

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal