Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Where are you getting the numbers for the Ram trucks? I know most are claiming 10-12mpg for the 6.4 around town, and I'm in the 16-18mpg range with the cummins. Yes, 4-5mpg difference, but definately not the same. Based on my old gasser chevy 6.0 truck, the difference increases with load or distance on the highway.

Kevin

you mis-understood my post.

I didnt say the 6.4 & cummins get the same MPG. I said the comparison is similar to the 6.2 ford vs 6.7 powerstroke. (y)

Wayne's Wagon

I had both diesel and gas HD trucks. A 2016 F350 6.7L PSD. Great truck, not great on fuel but better than gas. Ford told me I had to run a additive in it every fuel up, that was a pain to always have and add. I also had to carry DEF because it went through so much when hauling a 9,000 lb holiday trailer. I loved the truck but the maintenance was expensive and the diesel prices in Canada are higher than gas so it didn't pay off in the long run. It also went through tires faster than the gasser because of all the fun torque.
I now have a 2018 Power Wagon and I love it. I think I've had 7 recalls and 2 warranty items. Way more than the F350. The fuel milage is about 4 MPG worse on the highway and 6 MPG worse towing. No additives needed in the fuel or changing the fuel filters every second oil change, although oil changes aren't cheap. They use the same oil as the SRT engines. It tows the holiday trailer fine but you do notice the huge difference in torque, but it still does well. Just way more RPM's. For me the gas is a better fit and I'm happy with it so far. Lots of people use diesel for overloading and love them. Delete them and get some reliability and performance back. They are expensive to fix though.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had both diesel and gas HD trucks. A 2016 F350 6.7L PSD. Great truck, not great on fuel but better than gas. Ford told me I had to run a additive in it every fuel up, that was a pain to always have and add. I also had to carry DEF because it went through so much when hauling a 9,000 lb holiday trailer. I loved the truck but the maintenance was expensive and the diesel prices in Canada are higher than gas so it didn't pay off in the long run. It also went through tires faster than the gasser because of all the fun torque.
I now have a 2018 Power Wagon and I love it. I think I've had 7 recalls and 2 warranty items. Way more than the F350. The fuel milage is about 4 MPG worse on the highway and 6 MPG worse towing. No additives needed in the fuel or changing the fuel filters every second oil change, although oil changes aren't cheap. They use the same oil as the SRT engines. It tows the holiday trailer fine but you do notice the huge difference in torque, but it still does well. Just way more RPM's. For me the gas is a better fit and I'm happy with it so far. Lots of people use diesel for overloading and love them. Delete them and get some reliability and performance back. They are expensive to fix though.
Just out of curiosity is that holiday trailer 9,000 empty or loaded. Guessing loaded....

You mentioned higher RPM's while towing with gas, which makes sense. Where do you find the RPM's averaging while towing? 2,000?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I shoot for 2500 to 3000 rpm towing gas. Lower if flat terrain.
Okay, that makes sense. I'm averaging 2,000 - 2,500 with a 5.0L and 3:73's.

Towed this weekend and the truck stayed close to 3,000 @ 60 - 65 MPH but on relatively flat terrain and I thought it seemed high.

Have to figure out why it was so high. No headwind or anything... :unsure:

GreggNY

OP again- figured I’d follow up on what all this led to. There was a ton of good discussion about diesel ownership and ultimately I decided to stay with a gasser. The diesel was definitely tempting and I’m sure I’ll have one at some point, but it was never something I ‘needed’ right now. After driving a bunch of trucks, I found a couple new ‘18 power wagons within a few hours of me and took one home yesterday. This truck just felt right, and checks off nearly everything I need/want. The ‘18 was heavily discounted making room for ‘19s which didn’t hurt either. A mild build will take place but right now, this thing is awesome as is. Thanks again for the insight fellas! A couple quick shots after picking it up. Probably the cleanest it’ll ever be...

GreggNY

Thanks guys. It’ll definitely get used. I’m going to start shopping around for a cap so I can start camping out of it with some short trips. And I’m planning a 3 week trip out west late Sept into Oct of this year to really put it to use.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks good Gregg!

Im certainly a Ford (truck) guy, but I do have to say that the new Fiats (RAM) look and perform excellent (y)

GreggNY

Looks good Gregg!

Im certainly a Ford (truck) guy, but I do have to say that the new Fiats (RAM) look and perform excellent (y)

Thanks. I definitely don’t have any brand loyalty, and really like a lot of things about the fords. I couldn’t find a 6.2/4.30 geared f250 anywhere even sort of close to me to test out after running what seemed like hundreds of vin #’s and window stickers. And getting the ford would still leave me with having to do a good amount of work to make it how I wanted. The PW is as ready to go as it gets. This was pretty appealing after constantly wrenching on jeeps for so long so fit the bill along with the pricing drop on them wanting to move the leftover ‘18s

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
They seem to be solid trucks, and the 6.4 Hemi is no slouch.

I've always found it amazing just how inexpensive the RAM line is, when compared to that of the Superduties.

Enjoy the truck. It certainly looks good from here! ?

REDROVER

Explorer
I can’t even think of having an expedition rig powered by gasoline,
Once you get to experience the diesels low RPM torque you will never drive gas truck.

My Range Rover is diesel and my Hummer is diesel.
My hummer can climb up any hill at under 1200 RPM, no stress on the drive train no stress on motor,

but then again expedition meaning is different for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3