Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

REDROVER

Explorer
Why don’t you sent a letter to department of defense and tell them to switch all the trucks to gasoline, it’s much better.
have you been driving diesel truck on a technical off road trail?
If you haven’t then you won’t know the beauty of clunk clunk clunk

tacollie

Glamper
Why don’t you sent a letter to department of defense and tell them to switch all the trucks to gasoline, it’s much better.
I got tired of the smell and noise. A properly geared gas motor does fine as long as you have enough fuel.

driller

old soul wanderer
drove diesel offroad for 30 years started with 1985 ford f250, then a 1996 ford f350, then a 2000 dodge ram 2500. also drove ford 450 and 550's . So I have driven a few. But it just wasn't in the cards this time around. I wish I Still had the dodge. But my Hemi and my toyota will take me anywhere I need to go. Also my toyota will climb anything i want at 1000 rpm. Thats what gearing is for. Its all just personal preference, And this time gas works better for my uses. Enjoy and have fun.

Your original post stated you were considering a diesel for the following reasons:

• Mileage range for longer trips
  • Not taking as big a mpg hit after level (leaning towards Carli), and 35s or 37s
  • Possibly going with a drop in camper down the line (FWC)
  • It would be my daily driver for now. Work commute is 70 miles round trip at 90% highway, so should be plenty of driving to work the motor/blow out crap/regen/etc
  • I drive 15,000-20,000 miles/year
  • More power is never a bad thing and I've always wanted to try a diesel

Seemed like the post has taken a considerable drift, but I think most of the post I've read here reflect personal preference and a little bias. I've driven gas trucks for years and a couple of years ago I switched to a Ram 2500 Diesel. Well, I'm one of those who are now bias and I'll never go back to gas. I have a similar commute to work and the diesel is my daily driver. What's more, all the positives you mentioned are true. One of the things I love the most about the truck is how comfortable it is to take long distance trips. For the last two years I've driven the truck round trip from South Carolina to Montana. It's about a three day trip and I love the ride. I plan to go again in about mid July. Hopefully next year, it will be a trip to Alaska. With that said, a big diesel isn't much for small trails. So, it's according to your preference.

GreggNY

Your original post stated you were considering a diesel for the following reasons:

• Mileage range for longer trips
  • Not taking as big a mpg hit after level (leaning towards Carli), and 35s or 37s
  • Possibly going with a drop in camper down the line (FWC)
  • It would be my daily driver for now. Work commute is 70 miles round trip at 90% highway, so should be plenty of driving to work the motor/blow out crap/regen/etc
  • I drive 15,000-20,000 miles/year
  • More power is never a bad thing and I've always wanted to try a diesel
Seemed like the post has taken a considerable drift, but I think most of the post I've read here reflect personal preference and a little bias. I've driven gas trucks for years and a couple of years ago I switched to a Ram 2500 Diesel. Well, I'm one of those who are now bias and I'll never go back to gas. I have a similar commute to work and the diesel is my daily driver. What's more, all the positives you mentioned are true. One of the things I love the most about the truck is how comfortable it is to take long distance trips. For the last two years I've driven the truck round trip from South Carolina to Montana. It's about a three day trip and I love the ride. I plan to go again in about mid July. Hopefully next year, it will be a trip to Alaska. With that said, a big diesel isn't much for small trails. So, it's according to your preference.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t say I took that A drastic drift from what I originally stated. I was always weighing both gas and diesel. Re-evaluated is more like it. I drove quite a few trucks and like I said, the diesels (I favored the Cummins over the Powerstroke) drove great. The ram 2500 is an awesome truck and is super comfortable to me for spending a lot of time in the driver’s seat. The curb appeal of the power wagon is high and I don’t think anyone can deny it’s capabilities. Being basically a turn key, ready to go rig was very appealing. If I went with a Cummins truck, I’d be looking at 1. A used truck to be in the same price range with unknown history/potential problems, and 2. Still having to spend and install $2-3k in suspension mods, with another $1.5k ish for decent AT or MT tires in order to be near the power wagon capability wise.

True, I did compromise on a few things. Range isn’t as great so I’ll pack a couple jerry cans on long trips. But I’ll also be able to get gas at any hole in the wall gas station, which isn’t always true finding diesel. Payload is less as far as a camper would go. As I researched more, it became more apparent that for the trips I take, a GFC or AT style flip tent setup, or even just a mid height cap, would work just as well at a fraction of the weight and cost. I never had any real NEED for a diesel as far a towing/hauling/work, etc. so the power wagon made a ton of sense right now. Not to mention the leftover new ‘18s were drying up and being offered for great prices. That said, the diesel itch probably won’t go away and I’d be pretty certain there will be one or more in my future for later toys. I’m super excited to get out there and start enjoying the power wagon though

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
In mid west or NE mud: Diesel 350 is to gas 250, as gas 250 is to gas f150. There is no denying it, weight hurts bad in slick mud. Once I got over the cool factor of the diesel, the gas engine checked all of my boxes far better. I've got other rides I can take to starbucks.

I crossed the PW off my list because it was not capable enough. Still needed gears, tires, wheels,as my wants are 37's and 4.88 gears. Add a front locker to that list, and it made more sense for me to build a Ford.

I find motorcross fuel jugs to be more useful than jerry cans. But as usual, one is expo cool, and the better option isn't.

GreggNY

In mid west or NE mud: Diesel 350 is to gas 250, as gas 250 is to gas f150. There is no denying it, weight hurts bad in slick mud. Once I got over the cool factor of the diesel, the gas engine checked all of my boxes far better. I've got other rides I can take to starbucks.

I crossed the PW off my list because it was not capable enough. Still needed gears, tires, wheels,as my wants are 37's and 4.88 gears. Add a front locker to that list, and it made more sense for me to build a Ford.

I find motorcross fuel jugs to be more useful than jerry cans. But as usual, one is expo cool, and the better option isn't.

I hear ya. The PW should be plenty for what I want. After running 37s on jeeps and putting up with building the whole jeep around the tires to not fall apart, I think I’ll be content with 35s or a lighter, smaller 37 like a KO2 on the PW down the line. We’ll see. I’m sure the HD trucks are more than capable of holding up to bigger, heavier tires but I still didn’t want to have to get into gears, and building up any potential weak points in this truck to support the tires.

I’ve never looked at motocross jugs for fuel so I’ll check them out. I was carrying rotopax for the jeep but will be wanting some more capacity now.

Adventurous

Explorer
Whatever supplemental fuel containers you go with, take the CARB nozzles they provide and throw them away immediately. I've spilled infinitely more gas using thoss nozzles than the regular old spouts.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
This has nothing to do with why the DoD uses all diesel vehicles in their fleets. It's about logistics. It's much easier to have a universal fuel than having to source different fuels for different vehicles. They used to have plenty of gasoline vehicles (Jeep anyone?)

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I hear ya. The PW should be plenty for what I want. After running 37s on jeeps and putting up with building the whole jeep around the tires to not fall apart, I think I’ll be content with 35s or a lighter, smaller 37 like a KO2 on the PW down the line. We’ll see. I’m sure the HD trucks are more than capable of holding up to bigger, heavier tires but I still didn’t want to have to get into gears, and building up any potential weak points in this truck to support the tires.

I’ve never looked at motocross jugs for fuel so I’ll check them out. I was carrying rotopax for the jeep but will be wanting some more capacity now.

Yeah, I'm going to burn through a set of 35" tires before trying 37's again.

nickw

Adventurer
This has nothing to do with why the DoD uses all diesel vehicles in their fleets. It's about logistics. It's much easier to have a universal fuel than having to source different fuels for different vehicles. They used to have plenty of gasoline vehicles (Jeep anyone?)
Not to mention, diesel vehicles are much better in active conflicts due to the lack of flammability vs petrol...

nickw

Adventurer
I can’t even think of having an expedition rig powered by gasoline,
Once you get to experience the diesels low RPM torque you will never drive gas truck.

My Range Rover is diesel and my Hummer is diesel.
My hummer can climb up any hill at under 1200 RPM, no stress on the drive train no stress on motor,

but then again expedition meaning is different for everyone.
View attachment 521048
Doesn't matter much when what your really interested in is the combination of gearing and horsepower, I couldn't care less about torque from a capability perspective....all comes down to HP my friend. High torque low rpm motors certainly can have their advantages, but climbing hills and offroading are not where they are advantageous.

REDROVER

Explorer
Let’s look at this,
most older diesel motors are waterproof,
most mechanical injection pumps can be used to run the motor with different types of fuel,
Diesel motor is reliable, it’s economical, easy to work on, it consumes only 0.13% of fuel idling, vs gasoline that’s 60% plus,
Diesel motor runs cooler,
Diesel motor is very popular in every country if u ever drive your rig there.
It has more resale value due to all I mentioned.
Diesel fuel is cheap all over the world.
Older diesel motors don’t need smog checked in USA.

It’s your turn, tell me the advantages of gasoline engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger