Diesel in a Jeep again...not the wrangler

Frank

Explorer
http://www.leftlanenews.com/diesel-...d-cherokee-other-large-chrysler-vehicles.html

"Diesel power confirmed for 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee, other large Chrysler vehicles"

"Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed the plan in an interview with Automotive News last week, also adding that a diesel engine will make its way under the hood of several other “large” Chrysler vehicles in coming years.

The motor to be used will almost certainly be the 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 available in the European-market Grand Cherokee, which makes 224 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. The mill is also offered in the Lancia Thema (essentially a rebadged Chrysler 300 ), meaning the 300 and possibly the Charger could also be candidates to receive diesel power in the states.

What other “large” Chrysler Group vehicles could get the engine? The Dodge Durango is strong contender based on its mechanical similarity to the Grand Cherokee, and the mill would make sense in the Ram 1500 because it would give the truck a powerplant unique to the light-duty pickup segment.

Even the Dodge Grand Caravan replacement and the Chrysler Town & Country could eventually use the diesel motor. Why? The engine was developed for both longitudinal, rear-wheel drive AND transverse, front-wheel drive applications when it was originally commissioned by GM (!) during the American automaker's partial ownership of Alfa Romeo."

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The diesel V6 is too heavy and too powerful to easily fit in the Wrangler. Chrysler would have to re-engineer the Wrangler's frame, suspension, brakes, transmission, and cooling system for the new diesel. Better to wait for a less powerful 4 cylinder diesel.

The new diesel V6 would be a better fit in vehicles designed for Chrysler's 5.7L gas V8. It would be a great choice for the Power Wagon pickup, for example.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The diesel V6 is too heavy and too powerful to easily fit in the Wrangler. Chrysler would have to re-engineer the Wrangler's frame, suspension, brakes, transmission, and cooling system for the new diesel. Better to wait for a less powerful 4 cylinder diesel.

The new diesel V6 would be a better fit in vehicles designed for Chrysler's 5.7L gas V8. It would be a great choice for the Power Wagon pickup, for example.

What? The frame on the JK series is VERY stout, likely as stout as the ram 1500 frame. There is also all the data from the J8 program as far as frame changes and reinforcements that have been done to the JK frame to make it meet the military durability requirements, same goes for the body. The JK has been fairly proven to hold up to the hemi in the aftermarket....and Jeep has even done a few research vehicles. The J8 also had a better cooling system, axles, etc.

The new V6 diesel is all aluminum if I remember correctly, weight would be a non-issue I think.

When Jeep did the concept 3.0 v6 benz diesel in that silver JKU a few years back they did have some size issues.....something with the steering box if I remember correctly.

The 400 ft lbs would require a few modifications, and would likely not work too well with the existing manual transmission...it is already fairly stressed with the latest 2.8 4cyl option. I think the automatic transmission used is the same as the current 2012 version.

I agree that a v6 diesel powerwagon ( 2dr longbed! ) would be a VERY good idea.

Frank

Explorer
I would like to see the European diesel Wrangler on US soil. I cant wait until the auto show to ask Jeep where the heck the diesel wrangler is. I will hopefully be going on press/invite day and as a consumer on consumer day. Consumer day for sure!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The new 2011 diesel wrangler is phenomenal vehicle. There was one at EJS if you knew where to look. Driving the start stop manual was a little odd....

JPK

Explorer
The VM Motori 3.0 Diesel weighs 220kg, or 485lbs, according to VM Motori's US website. That is not too heavy for a Wrangler.

Also, from Allpars:
The A 630 direct-injection V6 diesel has Fiat's Multijet II technology, and delivers more horsepower and torque with greater efficiency, lower emissions, and, one analyst wrote, higher grade internal materials. Built by VM Motori and developed with Fiat Powertrain, it hits a peak 177 kW (241 hp DIN) at 4,000 rpm and 550 N•m (406 lb-ft) at 1,800-2,800 rpm.

High reving for a diesel. Lots of low end torque though.

Might make a good choice if they want to do it. Would make a good but illegal transplant.

The engine will be hooked up to a five speed auto in the US, according to Allpars, probably the WA 580, which would be fantastic.

JPK

Frank

Explorer
the big issue is...will they sell a new chassis for the engine in 15 years. lol. -you know the chassis wont last as long as the engine.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The J8 chassis was designed to last 3 times as long as the normal JK chassis. They destroyed multiple JK's on a special test track to prove this point....then drove it with the J8 and it lasted at least three times as long....this was a SEVERE off road type punishment course.

It's a flat out insult that we don't get at least the OPTION to buy a diesel JK in the usa....they are made in the USA and shipped overseas! The current diesel JK is VERY close to meeting current diesel emissions in the USA. It wouldn't have taken much work.

Honestly the biggest issue is that Jeep is selling every JK it can produce, there is no real reason for the company to do anything different. The demand is maxed out on current production.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The day the VM engines come to the US, you are going to have a rude awakening.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The ones that are so anxiously waiting for something that isn't what they are expecting. There are many great diesel engines out the. VM is not one of them.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

JPK

Explorer
Because it is that good, or because it is that bad?

A diesel that develops a mere 240hp and 406lbs' torque won't destroy a JK chasis. However, the driver could. You can detroy a JK chasis with the anemic 3.8 in it too.

I have a Hemi in my Jeep, it develops 375lbs', though higher in the rpm range. But I use the torque (too) frequently. No ill effect at ~40k miles, and I wouldn't expect them at any interval. Rock crawling is harder on a frame than any engine, more twisting and more force.

JPK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3