Diesel in a Jeep again...not the wrangler

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is great!!! Things we know:

1. The 3.0 VM/Motori has passed US regulations (EPA, Smog, whatever) AND Euro regulations (they are almost identical now)
2. The GC and the Wrangler share the same 5 speed auto, meaning bell housing too.
3. The 2.8 Diesel used in Europe right now *will not* pass the new Euro emissions standards, forcing Jeep to go with something new.... (and lets face it, they *must* offer a diesel to have a hope in hell of selling anything there)

At a minimum, I think it's almost certain Jeep will use the 3.0 in the export Wrangler.
They can also put it in the domestic Wrangler if they choose, we'll have to wait and see (EPA is not stopping them).

Finally, I think if Jeep don't offer it in the domestic Wrangler, I think it's highly likely AEV will at least attempt the conversion, and if it goes well, will offer a kit like their Hemi Kits.
(NOTE: that's pure speculation on my behalf)

Thoughts?

Finally, as for the 6 speed manual being an issue with all that torque, I believe Dave from AEV has said it's just the clutch that's weak, the manual is up to the task, when using a heavy duty clutch.

-Dan

BradJ

two years on ours in the J8, no failures, nothing.

Now the rest of my KJ, that's a different story...no actually it's been a pretty reliable little Jeep, especially considering how I've abused it.
When it does finally fall apart around the VM CRD, the motor just might end up in a friends TJ.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I truly hope that you are being sarcastic. ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, and Shell posted a combined $18.2 billion in first quarter profits — a 40 percent increase over their profits in the first quarter of 2010. BP, hampered by financial responsibilities due to last year's oil spill, settled for a mere $5.5 billion profit, a measly 17 percent increase over 2010's first quarter numbers.

Big oil receives $4 billion in annual tax subsidies for domestic drilling and prediction, just to sweeten the pot. So why is big government supporting ridiculously profitable big oil.

I am an economist by training and am a staunch capitalist and free market supporter. But it doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.

I agree. Big oil receives less profit than any other manufacturer. But yet they are evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xjrick

I truly hope that you are being sarcastic. ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, and Shell posted a combined $18.2 billion in first quarter profits — a 40 percent increase over their profits in the first quarter of 2010. BP, hampered by financial responsibilities due to last year's oil spill, settled for a mere $5.5 billion profit, a measly 17 percent increase over 2010's first quarter numbers.

Big oil receives $4 billion in annual tax subsidies for domestic drilling and prediction, just to sweeten the pot. So why is big government supporting ridiculously profitable big oil.

I am an economist by training and am a staunch capitalist and free market supporter. But it doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.

Their profit margin was also a combined 9.2%. Stop throwing big impressive numbers out to make a point and not present all the facts. My company would go under making only 9%......

X-plorenow

Adventurer
and yet they are extremely profitable! I threw out the only numbers that matter, total profit. Are any of you truly trying to say that the oil companies are struggling in any way shape or form?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm doing my part to help out the poor starving oil companies. Every day I do my 45 mile commute in my 360ci auto trans lifted 4x4. I hope they appreciate my contribution... Damn, where is the smiley with gun to head emoticon?

haven

Expedition Leader
"The 2.8 Diesel used in Europe right now *will not* pass the new Euro emissions standards..."

The VM Motori 2.8L does meet Euro 5 emissions today, so I guess you're talking about Euro 6 standards, which take effect in 2014. VM Motori did design the 2.0L diesel that GM plans to use in the 2013 Chevy Cruze. (VM Motori is owned 50% by GM and 50% by Fiat). The 2.0L meets the provisional Euro 6 standards, so VM Motori clearly knows how to engineer a solution to the Euro 6 standard. So I expect that when the time comes, the 2.8L diesel will be able to meet the Euro 6 standard.

Actually, the 2.0L diesel would be a good match with the Wrangler. It produces 260 ft lbs of torque and gets better fuel economy than the V6 diesel.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Profit is such a bad word even on ExPo...I make a profit. I love making a profit...allows me to ExPo.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
and yet they are extremely profitable! I threw out the only numbers that matter, total profit. Are any of you truly trying to say that the oil companies are struggling in any way shape or form?

What's your point? Isn't that why anyone goes into business? Or goes to college? To make money? If profit is so evil why don't you work for free? I guarantee you wouldn't. But it's ok for you to make money but when it's an evil corporation, they need to be heavily regulated by the gov. I'll tell you what, stop driving your expo rig. That way you will not have to purchase gas and fill the pockets of the evil money grabbing corporations. Im willing to bet you don't like any corporations. You know the computer or phone you are surfing the web with and trying to pass your hatred onto this board with? It was created by a corporation with oil that you hate so much and it's probably powered by coal or oil. So you should probably move and get rid of your truck and your computer.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
"The 2.8 Diesel used in Europe right now *will not* pass the new Euro emissions standards..."

The VM Motori 2.8L does meet Euro 5 emissions today, so I guess you're talking about Euro 6 standards, which take effect in 2014. VM Motori did design the 2.0L diesel that GM plans to use in the 2013 Chevy Cruze. (VM Motori is owned 50% by GM and 50% by Fiat). The 2.0L meets the provisional Euro 6 standards, so VM Motori clearly knows how to engineer a solution to the Euro 6 standard. So I expect that when the time comes, the 2.8L diesel will be able to meet the Euro 6 standard.

Actually, the 2.0L diesel would be a good match with the Wrangler. It produces 260 ft lbs of torque and gets better fuel economy than the V6 diesel.

Yep, sorry I was not clearer. I was talking about the 2014 Euro standards. So they have some time to figure it out.

You are right that VM/Motori can clearly design *something* to meet the new standards (ie the 3.0 or the 2.0 you mention).
I am skeptical they will bother modifying the existing and aging 2.8, and think they'll go with something new(er).

I actually hope they use the 3.0 in the export Wrangler, as we know it's already passed US testing for the GC, so it's much less effort and expense to sell it domestically.

As usual, fingers crossed.

-Dan

JPK

Explorer

Don't let the large numbers fool you. Risk weighted return on investment is the measure of profiability that is relevant. Huge revenues, huge $'s of profit, but huge risks and investments requirements too.

JPK

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Of course it is, and if you read my earlier posts you will see that I am a capitalist and believe strongly in free markets. Profit is what drives innovation and efficiency. But when a corporation has you over a barrel and is swimming in money I don't have to like it. I also hate paying taxes, yet understand that I need to pay for the services that the government provides me. Big corporations don't give a crap about you and me (as BP nicely proved) so why should I give a crap about them. So I assume that you can't wait to run to the gas station to shell out your hard earned money because you have such an awesome phone and computer?

My original point was that the big oil companies have a big influence on energy related issues in this country such as the availability of a diesel engine. That's it. Then some asked why everyone hates big oil and I stated why I did, that's it. I agree with the system, but I don't have to like it.

What's your point? Isn't that why anyone goes into business? Or goes to college? To make money? If profit is so evil why don't you work for free? I guarantee you wouldn't. But it's ok for you to make money but when it's an evil corporation, they need to be heavily regulated by the gov. I'll tell you what, stop driving your expo rig. That way you will not have to purchase gas and fill the pockets of the evil money grabbing corporations. Im willing to bet you don't like any corporations. You know the computer or phone you are surfing the web with and trying to pass your hatred onto this board with? It was created by a corporation with oil that you hate so much and it's probably powered by coal or oil. So you should probably move and get rid of your truck and your computer.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
This is a very good point. I fully agree that the energy business is a high investment business, and also does have a large risk / reward profile.

Don't let the large numbers fool you. Risk weighted return on investment is the measure of profiability that is relevant. Huge revenues, huge $'s of profit, but huge risks and investments requirements too.

JPK

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Of course it is, and if you read my earlier posts you will see that I am a capitalist and believe strongly in free markets. Profit is what drives innovation and efficiency. But when a corporation has you over a barrel and is swimming in money I don't have to like it. I also hate paying taxes, yet understand that I need to pay for the services that the government provides me. Big corporations don't give a crap about you and me (as BP nicely proved) so why should I give a crap about them. So I assume that you can't wait to run to the gas station to shell out your hard earned money because you have such an awesome phone and computer?

My original point was that the big oil companies have a big influence on energy related issues in this country such as the availability of a diesel engine. That's it. Then some asked why everyone hates big oil and I stated why I did, that's it. I agree with the system, but I don't have to like it.

So you're not a capitalist. You hate profit. Or is it that you have a set limit in your head on profit. Anything about that is not ok with you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3