Dilemma of which to KEEP.... Wrangler or Grand Cherokee

da10A

Adventurer
Yeah, keeping the jeep is like keeping a part of your loss friend.... And your next or new dog will enjoy it just as much... Maybe bringing the jeep back closer to stock will make it much more enjoyable. I've driven jeeps for decades and it's a very common thing that guys get out of control with mods and end up with a vehicle that looks like they wanted it to, but is not half as enjoyable to drive in as it was in stock or close to stock form..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there a few times and it's never easy. Losing your buddy is like losing a part of you, but think of the amazing memories you all shared and know that he's looking after you. I'm sure you'll make some great memories with Nick. Wait some time before making a decision on the a Jeep, you may not be in the best frame of mind to make a big decision like that. Good luck!

I was even thinking of switching from the Rubicon when McCoy was still around. I didn't go on long trips with him because I never wanted to drive long distances in the Rubicon. Ideally I could find a nice XJ and do a very mild build.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The Rubi rides better than an xj. maybe unbuild your JK a bit.

sorry for the loss of your ole buddy. and congrats on the new pooch. More years of companionship....

da10A

Adventurer
Yeah, keeping the jeep is like keeping a part of your loss friend.... And your next or new dog will enjoy it just as much... Maybe bringing the jeep back closer to stock will make it much more enjoyable. I've driven jeeps for decades and it's a very common thing that guys get out of control with mods and end up with a vehicle that looks like they wanted it to, but is not half as enjoyable to drive in as it was in stock or close to stock form..

To add to my comment in quote, I must say that I have owned an XJ and the JKU is both more comfortable and roomier than the XJ.

post some pictures of both

post some pictures of both. I would be interested in hearing and seeing what it is that makes the ride in the rubicon so rough ? is that correct that you don't enjoy it. I have a pretty well built rubicon and I drive sometimes a 6 hour round trip to job sites. I love it doesn't bother me at all That being said my wife had a jeep grand cherokee I think a 2007 with a hemi and it was nicer than the rubicon got worse mileage and was a kick to drive fallen leather heated seats etc but it was bone stock.. tires make a huge difference too. i had fallen all terrains on mine until recently and now kelly springfields safari tsr they are bigger and a bit louder.

Attachments

• Jeep on driveway.jpg
    Jeep on driveway.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 17

DallasJKU

Adventurer
post some pictures of both. I would be interested in hearing and seeing what it is that makes the ride in the rubicon so rough ? is that correct that you don't enjoy it. I have a pretty well built rubicon and I drive sometimes a 6 hour round trip to job sites. I love it doesn't bother me at all That being said my wife had a jeep grand cherokee I think a 2007 with a hemi and it was nicer than the rubicon got worse mileage and was a kick to drive fallen leather heated seats etc but it was bone stock.. tires make a huge difference too. i had fallen all terrains on mine until recently and now kelly springfields safari tsr they are bigger and a bit louder.

I don't think the Jeep rides rough. I just don't think its an ideal long distance vehicle. I can drive long distances in it, but its not like driving a GC. I have driven multiple JKU's and mine drives better than every one I have driven. I'm just thinking I might enjoy taking trips to Colorado and NM more in a GC. I'm not jumping into my decision yet. Really researching the GC's. I just know the modding never stops on a Wrangler. Part of it may be to just get away from the mod drug so I'm not tempted.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

ha ha. I have curtailed the driveline mods pretty well. Small lift, no engine mods, no heavy *** mods. my jeep works wonderfully as a long distance rig. My roof rack will be the teraflex nebo, no wind resistance unless I mount the basket, or toy racks to it. Its all about mod selection. Keeping the tires smaller and narrower helps heaps too.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
ha ha. I have curtailed the driveline mods pretty well. Small lift, no engine mods, no heavy *** mods. my jeep works wonderfully as a long distance rig. My roof rack will be the teraflex nebo, no wind resistance unless I mount the basket, or toy racks to it. Its all about mod selection. Keeping the tires smaller and narrower helps heaps too.

Unfortunately for me I built the JKU for looks first (35-37's are only tires that look good to me) and function second. I run 37" KO2's with 2.5" MetalCloak. I'm also hyper sensitive to noise and suspension feel. I can tell when I have a 2-3psi difference in my tires.

da10A

Adventurer
Normal mistake, I've met way too many guys that went crazy with mods and end up with a vehicle that they like lookwise, but can't stand the ride... They almost always end up trading for something else, or trade it in for another jeep onto which they do not repeat the mistakes...It is a fact that even in stock form, the Wrangler drains a little more energy on long distance trips than a GC would.

kojackJKU

Unfortunately for me I built the JKU for looks first (35-37's are only tires that look good to me) and function second. I run 37" KO2's with 2.5" MetalCloak. I'm also hyper sensitive to noise and suspension feel. I can tell when I have a 2-3psi difference in my tires.

I am too. I feel 1 psi nha ha ha. but guess what, you can't fit 35's or 37's on a GC either...so just put your stock fenders back on, slap on a set of 285s and drive the wheels off it!

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Normal mistake, I've met way too many guys that went crazy with mods and end up with a vehicle that they like lookwise, but can't stand the ride... They almost always end up trading for something else, or trade it in for another jeep onto which they do not repeat the mistakes...It is a fact that even in stock form, the Wrangler drains a little more energy on long distance trips than a GC would.

I've done that many times with many different vehicles. As much as I will miss top down days, I think I'm ready for just a nice 4X4 that rides and handles well. If I got off pavement more then I would keep the Rubicon for sure. I'm still slightly on the fence but the GC is really the only option that I like out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I'm thinking the Limited is the best option but it has more chrome than I like. I wish I would have bought the Altitude a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Yeah, the altitude is an awesome looking package. I have the altitude patriot in white and we love it. The GC is sweet. I had the overland out for a run one day. Really good. But I love the wrangler, and cannot give it up.

da10A

Adventurer
Should really should try and unbuild your Rubi to see if you find it more pleasant to drive.... i am certain that you will... And with the hardtop, no one forces you to take the panels off... Then you have almost all you need.. But them again... If you are anything like me, once your mind is almost made up, there's no turning back.. Good luck finalizing tgat brain storming. (b)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete