Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Adventurer
Never. Never have. Never will. I grew up around guns as a kid in rural Kansas. As I matured, I found guns had little place in my life. Millions of people all over the world seem to survive just fine without guns, so I probably can as well. Never even thought of having a gun when I lived and guided in thick bear country in Alaska.

I appreciate why people like to own guns and feel safer with one on their hip, but for me it seems like one more bit of kit I'll never need and the potential for added complications are compounded. No one is at risk of being killed by my 20 year old pocket knife, storm lighter or fire extinquisher.

I also prefer the people I travel with to not carry. People crash cars, set stuff on fire, and generally make mistakes. I'd rather not be around when that mistake involves a gun.
Do you ever ride as a passenger in someone elses vehicle ?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

hmmm...interesting, and kind of scary at the same time.

As I said, I tend to agree with the study and therefore will only have handguns in the house that are locked in a quick-access lockbox, because I don't think its a matter of if, its a matter of "when" they will play with a handgun.

The shotgun, for me seems different, maybe because its unloaded, maybe because, its out of reach. Honestly, maybe I need to take more precautions with it,now that my kids are older.

good read!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It was an analogy, you can't add after market airbags, but you can choose to drive a vehicle with airbags.

The point being, the risks we take in the other aspects we discuss here, FAR exceed the risks from violence while camping in the woods, yet there is far more discussion about what sort of gun to carry than there is off trying to convince ARB to make an aftermarket airbag system :) This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Just Fyi, Rando, this is how I took it..just an analogy/observation.

Its a good comparison, and you make a good point.

Zatara

Adventurer
When discussions like this come up I am often reminded of this quote from Sigmund freud....
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
hmmm...interesting, and kind of scary at the same time.

As I said, I tend to agree with the study and therefore will only have handguns in the house that are locked in a quick-access lockbox, because I don't think its a matter of if, its a matter of "when" they will play with a handgun.

The shotgun, for me seems different, maybe because its unloaded, maybe because, its out of reach. Honestly, maybe I need to take more precautions with it,now that my kids are older.

good read!

I do agree that a long gun is different. Just because of the size. I read something a few years ago about a comparison between ATV and Dirtbikes. Most parents think that ATV's are safer, because they have 4 wheels, etc. The reality is much different. ATV are statistically MUCH more dangerous than dirtbikes for kids. Why? Because a small child can climb on a full size ATV and drive it. And parents often let them. But children CANNOT ride a full-size dirtbike. They can only drive bikes made for them.

Same deal with a long gun. Less likely a child could even pick it up.

Still, I wouldn't leave a long gun unlocked with my family anywhere nearby. Which greatly reduces it's usefulness.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
When discussions like this come up I am often reminded of this quote from Sigmund freud....
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

I had to Google that one. Interesting.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:

"Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership."

Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages:

Yeah, apparently he never said that. But it is commonly used on the internet to ridicule. Does it speak to some people's propensity to believe anything to be true, no matter how ridiculous, if it supports their current views?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I do agree that a long gun is different. Just because of the size. I read something a few years ago about a comparison between ATV and Dirtbikes. Most parents think that ATV's are safer, because they have 4 wheels, etc. The reality is much different. ATV are statistically MUCH more dangerous than dirtbikes for kids. Why? Because a small child can climb on a full size ATV and drive it. And parents often let them. But children CANNOT ride a full-size dirtbike. They can only drive bikes made for them.

Same deal with a long gun. Less likely a child could even pick it up.

Still, I wouldn't leave a long gun unlocked with my family anywhere nearby. Which greatly reduces it's usefulness.

yup, I see where you're coming from, Rob. Why have something around that may as well be a baseball bat, with all the processes/steps required to bring it to bear?

Makes a handgun a pretty good choice, if you can be accurate with it, (which most people can)since there are lots of different products available to keep kids safe, while allowing it to be ready to use, quickly.

One thing I like, too, about handguns, like Dave mentioned, is that when you're in camp, you're not "the guy carrying around the shotgun" like some sort of michigan militia wannabe. You're fully legal carrying a gun on your hip,chest pack,fanny pack in most backcountry area's(becomes your home/house for the night, legally)

Also, one thing to consider, being a dad like me, is that likely you'll be carrying a child with you to safety, if the scenario is bad enough to require pulling a gun...that takes one hand/arm out of the picture as far as function goes.

With respect to gun use it complicates

-racking slide/closing cylinder (revolver)
-clearing jams
-manipulating weapon light/laser
-unloading
-application of safety

Something to consider. I'm good with my shotgun, but there's no way, other than the first shot, that I'd be able to manipulate my shotgun while holding a kid.

One thing handguns are good for too, with the advent of modern weaponlights is the ablity to have both your handgun and your
flashlight in one hand. Most are easily removable, too, so that
you can use the light without aiming the gun at a "non-threat"

Alright, back to work for me. :)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, handguns are not an option to me. IF I bought a gun, it would like be an 870 as recommended by an LEO friend. In the house, it would be locked in a safe. In the truck, it would be locked in a safe. In both cases, it wouldn't be readily available in times of crisis. On a hike, am I really going to walk through the woods with a shotgun over my shoulder? Not likely.

Can you really handle a handgun, one handed, that would have any hope of stopping a bear? I fired a S&W 500 once, not something I'd want to try one-handed. The other was a Glock 10mm. Not sure I'd want to try that either.

I was accurate at 75 feet, 12 out of 13, taking my time. Am I going to be accurate against a running bear? With fear, etc. in my veins? Not likely. It won't take long for a bear to cover 75 feet.

So we're back to the shotgun.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who's a hunter. He said you aren't likely to stop a bear with a shotgun anyway. They have too much "Will to live". Unless you have slugs loaded, and take out it's shoulder blade, it'll just keep coming, and now it's REALLY mad. He has guns, and hunts, and said if he was attacked by a bear, he'd rather have pepper spray.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Just an observation:
For a topic that can get emotional, and a thread that could have easily spiraled into chaos, this has become a pretty good conversation.

Nice job, Expo-folk.

Zatara

Adventurer

Yeah, apparently he never said that. But it is commonly used on the internet to ridicule. Does it speak to some people's propensity to believe anything to be true, no matter how ridiculous, if it supports their current views?

I read several sites and tried to read snopes before posting but I can't get that site at work..
Where did your info come from ?
If it's not correct then I retract the statement.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Just an observation:
For a topic that can get emotional, and a thread that could have easily spiraled into chaos, this has become a pretty good conversation.

Nice job, Expo-folk.

Agreed, and Rob's a poopyhead.

[smacks Rob with a chain mail gauntlet and runs away]

Take that!!!

:D

91runner

Observer
It was an analogy, you can't add after market airbags, but you can choose to drive a vehicle with airbags.

The point being, the risks we take in the other aspects we discuss here, FAR exceed the risks from violence while camping in the woods, yet there is far more discussion about what sort of gun to carry than there is off trying to convince ARB to make an aftermarket airbag system :) This is not a criticism, just an observation.

I in no way felt criticized, and certainly understand the analogy. To be honest I do not feel the need to carry. Its just a choice I make, and it is a personal choice my brother and sister for example are uncomfortable around guns and would never carry. A gun is a tool, and you never know if you will need it and can make survival much easier in the back country. Now I think the odds of actually needing it are astronomically low and I hope I never need to use it, but its one more tool that's there if I need it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I read several sites and tried to read snopes before posting but I can't get that site at work..
Where did your info come from ?
If it's not correct then I retract the statement.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud

There's some interesting ones in there. Considering many pro-gun people in America like to site this supposed Freud quote, they should be aware of the man they are considering to be an authority.

"America is a mistake, admittedly a gigantic mistake, but a mistake nevertheless. "

This one is very interesting:

"Perhaps the last cultural fad one could still argue against was Karl Marx. But Freud — or Rawls? To argue against such persons is to grant them a premise they spend all of their effort disproving: that reason is involved in their theories. " - Ayn Rand

"Doctor Freud not only used cocaine himself, but he also prescribed it to his patients. And then he drew his generalizations. Cocaine is a strong sexual arouser. That's why everything Freud invented — all those oedipuses, sphinxes and sphincters — is relevant only to a mental dimension of a patient, whose brain is turned to fried-eggs by cocaine. In such a state, one really has only one problem left — what to do first, to [Edited by Rob] his mother or to do away with his father. Of course, until his cocaine runs out. And in those times, there were no problems with supplies. But so long as your daily dose is less than three grams, you don't have to fear either the Oedipus complex, nor other things discovered by Freud. "

- Victor Pelevin

Klierslc

Explorer

Umm... He may not of "said" it but....

From your post...
"In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons."

Sounds like he said it to me....

I carry a gun all the time. Part of getting dressed is determining which holster and which gun to wear. I have a light, stainless pistol for back packing, and keep a side folder AK w/flashlight in camp.

I honestly hope I never have to use any of my guns in defense of myself and others. I spent some time in combat and wasn't a fan. I also refuse to become a sheep and walk through life relying on those agencies (police, sheriff, etc) that are under no obligation to protect me. (per the supreme court.) If they don't have to protect me, then it is really up to me to protect myself. Situational awareness goes a really really long way, but something unexpected can always happen to even the most careful folks.

To me a gun is just another tool--like a lug wrench, high lift, etc.

Why would you go somewhere without taking all the tools you might need? I am sure lots of folks on here have a high lift jack that has been used very little. It is a dangerous design, but training and responsible use make it a valuable tool. IMHO, there is no difference.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My question is: why wouldn't you carry a defense weapon?
Same reason I don't carry a banjo or a Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. I have no need for it. But, that's me. I respect anyone who needs to carry a gun to feel safe or a Snoopy Snow Cone Machine for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk