Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejeep92

I do. My level of armament changes as the situation changes. Where I am at currently, my biggest concern is predators of the two legged variety, and even out here in the middle of nowhere we have a problem with them. When on vacation, I tend to head to high country and arm appropriately for larger four-legged predators. Have had a couple issues with rabid animals that met their end as well. I too subscribe to the, I would rather have a tool and not need it theory.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
fear leads to a lot of things.
over reaction
no action
some action
right action
wrong action

mind set is the key for fear to be a cautionary tool for positive action.

joejeep92

There is no conclusive way to know short of a brain biopsy, however if a coyote or skunk shows no fear of humans to the point of being within ten feet of me while being aware of my presence, I don't stop and ask.

mezmochill

Is outside
fear leads to a lot of things.
over reaction
no action
some action
right action
wrong action

mind set is the key for fear to be a cautionary tool for positive action.

True , but its the overreaction and wrong action that gets bystanders involved in dangerous situations.

Maybe mindset should be taught if that is the key.

Yea that will go over well.

S

Squatchout

Just curious is all, but how did you know they were rabid?

In this area rabid raccoons and foxes are a very real and common problem. Just around the property. Usually it's pretty easy to tell. Like said above lack of fear of humans is a big sign. As is most anything that's way out of the ordinary behavior. Starting with time of day. Racoons and foxes acting weirdly in the open, in broad daylight, at midday is a pretty good sign. Both animals can occasionally be seen in the day. But usually morning or evening and they are extra skittish. If you make noise and try to run them off and they ignore you or act aggressive that just about closes the case. Both these animals by nature prefer to be nocturnal and shy. Especially around humans. Also if the animal acts like it is somewhat drunk. Then it's probably close to the end anyway and by dispatching it you are probably doing the critter a favor.

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer
In this area rabid raccoons and foxes are a very real and common problem. Just around the property. Usually it's pretty easy to tell. Like said above lack of fear of humans is a big sign. As is most anything that's way out of the ordinary behavior. Starting with time of day. Racoons and foxes acting weirdly in the open, in broad daylight, at midday is a pretty good sign. Both animals can occasionally be seen in the day. But usually morning or evening and they are extra skittish. If you make noise and try to run them off and they ignore you or act aggressive that just about closes the case. Both these animals by nature prefer to be nocturnal and shy. Especially around humans. Also if the animal acts like it is somewhat drunk. Then it's probably close to the end anyway and by dispatching it you are probably doing the critter a favor.

I ran into a coyote last monday that was probably rabbid. It actually was being aggressive towards my truck,which was full of dogs.I ran it over.Frst time I have dealt with that

gm13

Adventurer
*I am not talking about open carry in the field, although it is still less than ideal.

I always thought this is where open carry was most sensible, ideal even, depending on what your "field" may be. What is your thinking on this Scott?

An aside: This past weekend, 4 of us did a 10 mile loop hike. 30% along beautiful rugged, cliffy and relatively remote coastline. The other 70% was through woods. We saw no one other than 2 guys setting off just before we did (the last we saw of them), one of them open carrying. This unnerved the women in the group a bit, one concerned he may be "trigger happy." A quick glance over at his vehicle, general demeanor, gear and the way the two set off down the trail and I had no concerns for our safety. Not a place I would open carry given it's typical visitors are hikers or campers backpacking in but that's me, the bipedal threats are pretty non existent here. I respected his right to do so and was fine with it.

rgallant

Adventurer
I always thought this is where open carry was most sensible, ideal even, depending on what your "field" may be. What is your thinking on this Scott?

An aside: This past weekend, 4 of us did a 10 mile loop hike. 30% along beautiful rugged, cliffy and relatively remote coastline. The other 70% was through woods. We saw no one other than 2 guys setting off just before we did (the last we saw of them), one of them open carrying. This unnerved the women in the group a bit, one concerned he may be "trigger happy." A quick glance over at his vehicle, general demeanor, gear and the way the two set off down the trail and I had no concerns for our safety. Not a place I would open carry given it's typical visitors are hikers or campers backpacking in but that's me, the bipedal threats are pretty non existent here. I respected his right to do so and was fine with it.

I think the ladies opinion is valid if uninformed, if their entire exposure to any type of firearm in the media then that is likely a fear for them. As to the fellow carrying if it is legal, and the pistol was just there I don't see an issue. Some people may not like it but that is more their problem. But to be clear it assumes the person(s) with the pistols are acting responsibly.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
But to be clear it assumes the person(s) with the pistols are acting responsibly.
And there's the rub. Many gun advocates are quick to defend ALL gun owners as to do otherwise implies that gun restrictions might be necessary.

Every year while using my local trails near Prescott I will have to stop dead in my tracks to make sure I'm not riding into the path of a bullet. People come up here from the Phoenix area, drive two miles into the trees and think they're in the middle of nowhere and start shooting like Yosemite Sam. Not knowing where they're shooting is unnerving at best. Just this year I rolled up on a fleet of Sheriff officers tracking down a reckless shooter who had been shooting across a trail. Those shooters put three slugs in a home just beyond the TV set they brought into the woods to shoot.

Not all who carry know what the hell they're doing. I wish more gun owners and advocates would speak out against the members of their own community using their weapons irresponsibly or without proper training and not just agains those who are perceivably anti-gun.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To further this within the construct of the main topic, while I don't typically mind if others do or do not carry in the backcountry, I'm not always wild about traveling with others who carry if I don't know their level of proficiency. I won't travel with one particular friend because, well, I don't trust him with a spatula let alone his .45 he seems to always have have with him.

It has nothing to do with rights, laws, or my personal opinions on gun ownership. I just don't want to be around him when he shoots himself or someone else. I also don't like traveling with people who seem a bit too eager to employ their weapons. Just makes me nervous. I also think it's somewhat rude to assume that everyone in a particular group is comforted by having guns in the mix.

A few years ago while camping with a group of people, a member of our group whom I didn't know too well jumped up from his chair around the fire, slapped his hand on the pistol on his hip as if to draw it, and out of the dark woods lumbered HIS OWN DOG. That didn't make me feel too comfortable.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I think Christophe makes a few important points.

1. Every activity has risks and odds. Carrying a firearm with proper training and practice can lower your risks of being a victim, but the chances of becoming a victim with other training and preparation is extremely low. I carry concealed nearly every day when working and traveling in Arizona. I have extensive training (including being former active duty military) and I practice regularly. Not just paper target practice, but complex scenario, run and gun stuff. I expect myself to be proficient with the tool. For me personally, I make the choice to take advantage of the rights afforded to me, get training and practice. In the extremely unlikely event that I am attacked, I have an excellent chance of defending myself. That being said, the chance of me being attacked is extremely low, and most of my travels are international where I can't carry a gun anyways. As a result, I totally get why someone would chose not to carry a gun- it does compute.

2. Some people just like guns: I happen to be one of them (I have more safes filled with guns then most people have individual firearms). I like guns and I enjoy recreational shooting and training. I trap shoot, hunt, target shoot and match shoot. I enjoy firearms and I feel that the 2nd. Amendment is an important right- my votes reflect that. However, I also have many, many friends that do not own guns. Several of them hate guns. I respect their view. Remember, both sides of an argument can have merit.

This has brought me to a few conclusions as a gun owner and concealed carry advocate.

1. I am less likely to become a victim by carrying a gun and being proficient in its use. That is simply a fact, and beyond debate. My ability to carry concealed is currently legal and I hope it remains so. If the voting populace changes those laws, I will not have a tantrum. I will be sad when the suppressors and other toys are crushed, but I am not going to to spaz out. I believe in democracy, both when it helps me and hurts me- good and the bad, as the majority defines.

2. Gun owners can be extremely childish, as can staunch anti-gun advocates. Both sides are convinced the other is wrong- truth is, they are both wrong. Both solutions are flawed, but I am happy to ascribe to the flawed solution that gives me some control over the outcome of an attack. If someone doesn't like guns, who cares. If someone chooses not to carry a gun while overlanding, who cares. It their life, their choices. I know several idiots that carry guns (most of them open carry) that would be far better off unarmed. Are people so insecure that they need to shame others that don't advocate exactly what they believe- "You don't carry a gun? You some kind of liberal commie!?!?". "No, actually I could care less about guns and would rather spend the time and money traveling to Fiji and let the odds play out- mmmmmcay"

Carry a gun: Good for you (and you darn well better learn how to really shoot it)
Don't carry a gun: Good for you, it is probably nice to not have a five pound hunk of a 1911 not jabbing you in the side 365 days a year. ;)

3. I have travelled in super dangerous places without a gun, because I cannot carry a gun there. It didn't bother me, I just handled the situation with a new set of rules and strategies. People that think a gun somehow magically makes them safe is laughable. However, the right gun, lots of training, lots of practice, an extensive scenario strategy and tons of procedures does make you more capable of defending yourself when it really hits the fan.

Amen! Oh, and PEW
10407142_10153288473148275_1680620054225324713_n.jpg

I agree with everything you said except one. We do not live in a Democracy, we live in a Democratic Republic. The 2nd amendment is an enumerated civil right given to us by the constitution. It can only be taken away in very specific ways, and if I have my way, it will never be taken away from me, regardless of what the government says.

That said, I do however also respect those that have the opposite viewpoint of me. My Fiancé hates guns, yet she 'tolerates' me carrying a firearm every minute of every day that I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333