Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
SoCal Mountain Rendezvous 2012

A few pics of the truck at the Rendezvous, front page article by Matt Scott here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/adventures/events/2012/1549-2012-mountain-rendezvous.html

deepcreekneardishpan.jpg

Deep Creek Trail/Dishpan Springs, Photo by Chris Bradley

Great blog post about my recent SoCal Mountain Rendezvous by Anthony Sicola at Overland Nomads: http://www.overlandnomads.com/2012/...012&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

And another great blog post from Bryon Dorr at Backroad Navigator:
http://broadsword.com/wordpress/?p=2005

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Last edited:

VATACO

Adventurer
Only thing that would worry me is being rearended by a truck or SUV mad having that propane tank right there to take the hit.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Fuel Storage

If you look at the US RV industry, you will note that propane cylinders are always stowed on the nose of a trailer or under the RV, i.e. outside of the living space. Obviously due to safety concerns. Storage on the rear of the truck up high and secured externally to the living space is the best compromise IMO as there was no other option really. As for fuel, I use Scepter cans (USMC spec) and again carrying fuel there is the best compromise. Jeeps and other rigs have been legally, and safely, carrying jerry cans on the back for decades.

Carrying fuel or propane on the truck is optional and can be optimized to suit the trip. I'd rather have the option than not. And if somebody is tailgating me with a couple of gallons of legally transported fuel staring at them, well, that should be their sign to BTFO. Especially considering if it did blow it would be in their face.

YMMV.

Note about propane:

It is important to note that propane, like gasoline vapor, has narrow ignition requirements as far as air fuel mixture is concerned.

In order to actually ignite, the propane-air mix must contain from 2.2 to 9.6 percent propane vapor. If the mixture contains less than 2.2 percent gas, it is too lean to burn. If it contains more than 9.6 percent, it is too rich to burn.

Additionally, propane won’t ignite when combined with air unless the source of ignition reaches at least 940 degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, gasoline will ignite when the source of ignition reaches only 430 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

In fact, it is pretty difficult to actually blow up a propane tank or cylinder. What does occur when the pressure relief valve blows from say being smashed in an accident, which occurs at 312 psi in ASME tanks, and 375psi in DOT cylinders, is that the gas is vented and makes a lot of noise. Should there be a fire or source of ignition when it vents, it won't explode either, instead it makes a torch and quickly flames out. It does not ignite inside the gas line and run up it to the tank or cylinder and "explode." The only exception to that, is if it is punctured and ignited by flame simultaneously (highly unlikely), and then the same external ignition occurs only more rapidly.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Only tn't fix!hing that would worry me is being rearended by a truck or SUV mad having that propane tank right there to take the hit.

Aw heck. I put propane tanks in the back all the time. Nothin' a little bondo and a rattle can can't fix!
0.jpg

mvbeggs

Adventurer
...... really digging the utility of the new Demello rear bumper :D

IMG_1144.jpg

Just received a similar setup from Relentless Fabrication....after being on order since February. :Wow1:

I assume your bumper is 3/16" plate steel. What is the weight unloaded? (i.e. empty swing away)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hey Dave,
What limits your departure angle when carrying the spare?
Thanks, and nice build.

You can see the departure angle here. The spare is not under there in this pic but the way it sits between the spring hangers and the bumper you dont really sacrifice anything IMO. This truck will never be a rock crawler so I'm fine with this arrangement.

IMG_0950.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just received a similar setup from Relentless Fabrication....after being on order since February. :Wow1:

I assume your bumper is 3/16" plate steel. What is the weight unloaded? (i.e. empty swing away)

Wow, that is a ridiculous wait for anything. Fab shops are on their own program for sure, I've dealt with similar wait times for several items. I caution anyone who is having custom fab done to be ready to test the limits of their patience. 3/16 plate is correct, no idea what unloaded weight is because at the end of the project things got a bit rushed.

woods247

Observer
Being able to carry a bike rack (and bikes) again is muy bueno, really digging the utility of the new Demello rear bumper :D

Looks great and the storage bins are tucked in nicely. I'm with you when it comes to bringing mtb bikes along. CBI welded an additional 2" receiver to my swing away to accommodate my hitch rack. It's really nice to be able to leave the bikes mounted and open the gate for bed accessibility. Nice job!

Slimwood Shady

I am in love with this build....I am the market to get new tires in the next couple of months....I am really contemplating going from 285/75/16 to the 255/85/16. What are the benifits of the thinner tire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77