Drifta Drawer Style Build (Toyota Prado 120/ Lexus GX470)

GXWagon

Adventurer
Here is a quick update on my Drifta Style Pull out Table. I did a Grey Stain to match the interior of the GX. I used the same black Lacquer around the edges that I used on the drawers. I also put 2 coats of Satin clear coat that I had kicking around for extra protection. Buffed it out with some 0000 steel wool.

GXWagon

Adventurer
Absolutely go look at the '$50' topic in the 12v forum. Everything you might want to know is in there. Or you could post a topic there and have verkstad tell you you're an ignorant fool and you'll wind up burning your vehicle to the ground.

Couldn't find that $50 topic you speak of. Any chance you have a link?

Echodawg

Wanderer
Are you asking for updates on my build? or are you asking why I asked you to keep me up to date on your build?

I was looking forward to more updates from you. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

On a side note, what are you going use as a stop to keep the drawers from sliding all the way out? I noticed Drifta notches the back of their drawers and uses that spring loaded pin.

GXWagon

Adventurer
I was looking forward to more updates from you. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

On a side note, what are you going use as a stop to keep the drawers from sliding all the way out? I noticed Drifta notches the back of their drawers and uses that spring loaded pin.

Ha Ha okay cool. Plenty of updates coming soon.

I am not sure I am going to worry too much about the drawers sliding out on their own. If it does become an issue, I will do exactly what drifta does. Mount one of these old school style sliding gate latch on the inside of the drawer, locked in the up position and it catches on the same hook that your handles hook onto. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure it's nothing fancy or spring loaded. Worth another look at their videos.

image_7977.jpg

SnoViking

Adventurer
Dude... ... ... .. These are coming out awesome!

Following along makes me want to redo my drawer setup! Keep up the good work.

Do you have the table legs figured out yet?

What did you use for the framing around the table. I didnt see anything listed in post #1 or on the plywood sheets.

Last edited:

GXWagon

Adventurer
Dude... ... ... .. These are coming out awesome!

Following along makes me want to redo my drawer setup! Keep up the good work.

Do you have the table legs figured out yet?

What did you use for the framing around the table. I didnt see anything listed in post #1 or on the plywood sheets.

Cheers man!!! They are looking fantastic. I am super impressed with both how great they look and how cheap and easy it was to do.
Shhhh don't tell anyone but I haven't yet figured out the table leg solution. I could easily have my fab guy do it for me, but I would like to have a solution for the masses that will be easy. Something premade purchase on eBay or something. If anyone out there has any ideas on that please send em my way.

Yes, I need more detail in the table build. I used scraps of the same 1/2" ply that is used for everything else. Everything is 1/2" ply with the exception of the platform that the table sits on that divides the table from the drawer. That is 1/4 ply. Simple. Light. Strong. (For wood that is).

GXWagon

Adventurer
Absolutely AWESOME build.

Go you venture a guess at the total weight of it all?

Thank you!!!

Someone asked me that exact question on the GXOR Facebook page. I have no idea. The drawers are super light, and the carcas is also pretty light. Because this is almost exactly to Drifta spec, I'll tell you how they answer the question "our drawers are lightweight, won't start to rattle with age, and our slides are maintenance free and won't be affected by dust. Greased bearings once the dust has gotten in can be a real problem." read more if you want here: http://www.drifta.com.au/faq-4wd-fitout/

Maybe I'll weigh them. I won't promise that, though.

GXWagon

Adventurer
Awesome!!! If you like this build giver the ole 5 stars. If you have any questions on stuff I may have missed our on please feel free to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online