Driving slow on fast freeways?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
almost 200 post in this thread,
while trip reports languish,
and people are concerned about the present and future of expo..

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...the merit in ticketing those that impeded traffic. We need the income from the out of stater drivers ;) I kid...

I know you say you kid, but Utah has enough out-of-State targeting. I was pulled over in my heavily-laden 80 outside Monticello by an officer stating I was doing 69 in a 55 on a steep uphill. If I was able to do 50 in a 55 I'd be happy! I almost thought I was on candid camera when he wrote the ticket. I sat with my mouth ajar as he tells me to slow down. I was ticketed for having an AZ license plate, plain and simple. A call the the judge, they were giggling happy to go to a plea of abeyance.

191 North of Bluff until Moab is a revenue highway. Cops all over the place I've never ONCE seen a Utah plate on the side of the road.

To this day I refuse to spend any money in or around Monticello. Hope that ticket and fees were worth the hundreds of dollars I would normally spend there en route and back to Moab (lunch, fuel, hotel, &c)

Not I: http://www.speedtrap.org/view/Utah/24690

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Correct, on multi-lane highways. Impeded traffic on a single lane highway and you could be ticketed. You can't get to any of the popular recreation hotspots in Utah without extended travel on a two lane highway. While often they have passing lanes they could be 10 or 20 miles apart and its not at all uncommon to see a couple dozen cars backed up behind a single slow moving RV on 191 into Moab or SR10 into the Swell. I can lend some sympathy if they are pushing it as fast as they can go and rubbing the right barricade to let people pass over the dash lines... but if they were slowing down that many just to keep their mileage in check I would pat the patrolman on the back personally :D

One of my pet peeves is people who won't use pull outs, be it in Utah, Oregon, Nevada or wherever. I've pulled RV trailers through out the western US and make it a point to use a pull out if I get more than three cars behind me. I can't count the number of times I've seen fifteen or twenty cars behind an RV on the coast or the road to Virginia City. These are the same people who accelerate as fast as possible on straight stretches or when the road has a passing lane. That is not only inconsiderate but irresponsible, it encourages people to take chances passing that they normally wouldn't. I have no problem with people driving under the speed limit on two lane roads but, USE THE PULL OUTS!<stepping off soap box>

CJCA

Adventurer
.....I can't count the number of times I've seen fifteen or twenty cars behind an RV on the coast or the road to Virginia City. These are the same people who accelerate as fast as possible on straight stretches or when the road has a passing lane. That is not only inconsiderate but irresponsible, it encourages people to take chances passing that they normally wouldn't. I have no problem with people driving under the speed limit on two lane roads but, USE THE PULL OUTS!<stepping off soap box>

Reminds of a time a 5 or 6 years back. Travelling on Hwy 20 between Williams on I-5 and Ukiah on 101 on a miserable, rainy night. Some ************** held up traffic (30+ vehicles) for 20+ miles. Slow as a turtle until the straight-a-ways where passing was possible, where he'd speed up to 5+mph over the speed limit. I won't say anymore, but I'm sure you can guess what myself and 30+ other drivers were contemplating.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Reminds of a time a 5 or 6 years back. Travelling on Hwy 20 between Williams on I-5 and Ukiah on 101 on a miserable, rainy night. Some ************** held up traffic (30+ vehicles) for 20+ miles. Slow as a turtle until the straight-a-ways where passing was possible, where he'd speed up to 5+mph over the speed limit. I won't say anymore, but I'm sure you can guess what myself and 30+ other drivers were contemplating.

Those are the kinds of people I take great pleasure in getting in front of and brake checking...hard!!!

dport

Adventurer
WOW, more BS in here than in Washington. :Wow1:
To Vic, I applaude your original intentions of just trying to make travel safer for everyone on the road. I do like the CB idea, and I think that would be enough on your behalf. I would rather deal with a slow moving RV than one trying to run 80mph and swaying/bouncing all over the place, like I see many class A's where I live.

To the truckers, I have a great amount of respect for you. All of my family from my grandfather's generation retired from C.F. before it went under. My grandfather actually play a big role in getting piggy-back's allowed in GA (went to jail for the cause, and C.F. gave him a plaque).

Anyway, It's neither the RV or the rig that's the problem. It's not knowing what the punk kid in the riceburner is going to do, or when the overpaid suit in luxo=ute is going to cut both of you off. There are bad truckers outthere and there are RV owner's that should be allowed to drive a civic, much less a huge RV. Let's please be more civilized than what we have been in this thread, to much anger here on Expo lately. Happy trails to all.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

You have Not been passed until.....:costumed-smiley-007

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-rwh8mzSs"]Wide load big rig passing[/ame]

Also shows CB communication and respect on the Interstate.

DrMoab

Explorer
Did you see what that jerk did though?

Right before he got passed he showed his speedo at around 100 KPH. About half way through the pass he showed it again and it was up around 110 KPH.

THAT is by far my biggest gripe on the road. When you go to pass someone and they speed up on you.

DrMoab

Explorer
Speaking of driving slow. This is in my propane tanker on a private road going into a girls camp above Heber City utah. 4 miles of 10% grades. :victory:

racewave

We have to define the problem. Driving Fast (Anybody driving faster than I am.) Driving Slow (Anybody driving slower than I am)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You have Not been passed until.....:costumed-smiley-007

Wide load big rig passing

Also shows CB communication and respect on the Interstate.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

I'd love to know why the **** that guy with the wide load thought he had to be going that fast. He must have been doing 115-120, with a load like that, in moderately bad winter conditions. What an *******.

You might be questioning the bad winter conditions. Trust me, I've driven a lot of highway like that. That is prime conditions for formation of black ice.

Hootowl

Observer
Unless weather conditions (high winds, etc.) mitigate other wise, it is way safer to be able to maintain a speed comparable to the slowest semi-trucks. Others has put this opinion out already and I strongly agree with it.

However, what is limiting your truck's speed right now? Usually it is the engine does not have enough oomph for the load or that the suspension is mismatched to the loads on it.

If it is the engine, is it really an engine limitation or is the gearing too high?

If it is the suspension then that represents a potential safety problem in itself as there is an instablity that can lead to an accident. Not a good weak link to have on a rig.

My opinions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater