DustBox - dust mitigation device - positive pressure system

Nikson

Explorer
Seeing what folks think and like to share their experience as far as retail built overland trail models.

We've developed a positive pressure system, called DustBox.

After building our own overland trailer, we've found that in desert or on extended bumpy gravel roads pesky dust/silt etc. get into various spaces, even with use of good/tight seals, Tern Overland's windows, etc.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one who loves to take those back roads, but hates the thought of "how much dust" I would be dealing with on the interior compartments, bedding or kitchen slide once I arrive at the destination.

Well, after almost a year of research, going through various setups, fan models, designs - my buddy engineer and I who does all the fab work & assembly - came up with DustBox.

DustBox is a positive pressure system (other names used in the industries - overpressure system / dust reduction system / dust mitigation system / dust control system, etc.),
It pressurized cabin space onto which its installed and maintains the pressure to keep dust out.
So far, largest test been done on a 23ft RV camper trailer. Has proven to do the job. Our trailer is a 5x10ft with 5ft walls.
System builds enough pressure to where I'm not able to shut the clam of the roof section while its running.

Potential use is varied, trailers, truck canopies, campers, etc., something to keep in mind that space has to be fairly sealed, as any large opening will not allow the system to pressurize the cab.

I'll be setting a booth at NWOR2024 this year in case anyone interested.

Currently looking for couple of trailer owners who can show that they truly use their trailers on some dusty trails to put our product to some testing aside from our own.
Upon a phone conversation, would be willing to send out a unit for your trials, and would love to get the feedback

PS.If anyone in Oregon (Salem locale) and is interested to see it in person - welcome to my home shop

Link to the product and pictures of our trailer & DustBox

Attachments

• 2023_ExPo_Redmond_Oregon_Nikson_Overland_Adventure_Ready_Bud_Nixon-9.JPG
    2023_ExPo_Redmond_Oregon_Nikson_Overland_Adventure_Ready_Bud_Nixon-9.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • 436889132_10227076673931749_3215663651382838282_n.jpg
    436889132_10227076673931749_3215663651382838282_n.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 437053695_10227076674091753_6758200436255637207_n.jpg
    437053695_10227076674091753_6758200436255637207_n.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 52
  • wabdr_trail_nikson_overland_budnixon_toyota_nissan_landcruiser_R50_pathfinder_adventure_ready-10.JPG
    wabdr_trail_nikson_overland_budnixon_toyota_nissan_landcruiser_R50_pathfinder_adventure_ready-10.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 56

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I have always thought these were a good idea. I have been monitoring my Trailer Marker trailer since I purchased it 16 months ago. Lots of miles in UT,AZ and NV dust and still very minimal dust.

Are some trailers better then others? Is it door gaskets and window gaskets were most dust comes in?

Nikson

Explorer
I have always thought these were a good idea. I have been monitoring my Trailer Marker trailer since I purchased it 16 months ago. Lots of miles in UT,AZ and NV dust and still very minimal dust.

Are some trailers better then others? Is it door gaskets and window gaskets were most dust comes in?

Seems like Australians are all over this topic, you'll find few companies making them, as well as any reputable overland trailer manufacturer has a positive pressure system already installed.

We have found that dust makes its way through almost any opening, door seal, compartment door, window or whatever - obviously depends on how long and how dusty of a trail one takes.
I dont have any intention to find out who's brand is the best/worst in trailer manufacturing, as even within a brand - some batches are better than others, depending on how good manufacturing is going.
In the RVs, biggest dust entry is through the heat releaf ve

Goal is to prevent dust completely, where when travels any type of terrain - no worries on dust.

One of my biggest issues been is arrival to camp and opening doors/windows.
That motion by itself usually causes inner cabin pressure to "suck" the dust in more than I ever wanted.
Thats one of the biggest differences between a non-powered system vs ours which stays on until you flip the off switch.

Seems like Australians are all over this topic, you'll find few companies making them, as well as any reputable overland trailer manufacturer has a positive pressure system already installed.

We have found that dust makes its way through almost any opening, door seal, compartment door, window or whatever - obviously depends on how long and how dusty of a trail one takes.
I dont have any intention to find out who's brand is the best/worst in trailer manufacturing, as even within a brand - some batches are better than others, depending on how good manufacturing is going.
In the RVs, biggest dust entry is through the heat releaf ve

Goal is to prevent dust completely, where when travels any type of terrain - no worries on dust.

One of my biggest issues been is arrival to camp and opening doors/windows.
That motion by itself usually causes inner cabin pressure to "suck" the dust in more than I ever wanted.
Thats one of the biggest differences between a non-powered system vs ours which stays on until you flip the off switch.

Great information and thank you. I must say I had an issue with my propex heater throwing a code that it interference with exhaust and or intake. My portable vac did the trick of clearing it. I am convinced it was dust. I think I am going to buy one of these units for this reason and a much cleaner trailer. The finer the dust the more likely to breath it in.

Nikson

Explorer
How does it filter the air that it's pumping into the trailer?

Cone style washable/reusable automotive filter similar to K&N

Low profile version and an RV drop in units will have MERV rated filters, that are washable, like the cone one on the original unit (V1)
Low profile version (v2) uses Merv6 rated filter and its under 3in from the mount surface, but will require a larger opening.
Attached pictures on a stand that I use in our show booth.

Stand has1.5in wall thickness, thus you'll find the inner section about 3 inches inset, opening is around 8.5x8.5in

Attachments

• IMG_9751.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9750.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Suggestion: Saying professional installation puts the brakes on for some buyers I'm sure, I can see some ripoff RV dealer charging $300.00+ to put it on.

Devise a cover that fits over an existing RV window to provide the inlet for your box. Also, fabricate an adapter so you can mount the box inside the RV filtering outside air through a window. I doubt this would seal as well as what you plan on now, but no holes would need to be cut in walls or roof, big+!

Nikson

Explorer
Suggestion: Saying professional installation puts the brakes on for some buyers I'm sure, I can see some ripoff RV dealer charging $300.00+ to put it on.

Devise a cover that fits over an existing RV window to provide the inlet for your box. Also, fabricate an adapter so you can mount the box inside the RV filtering outside air through a window. I doubt this would seal as well as what you plan on now, but no holes would need to be cut in walls or roof, big+!

I'm assuming you are speaking of the Description on the site listing for the DustBox.
I've deleted that section all together not to give anyone wrong ideas :) - thank you for a pointer.
I've found that most folks who have bought one have an installer in-mind already when they are getting it, many DIY guys do it however they see it fit I guess without asking me for any advice.
This is a specific product, and if one needs/cares for it - they'll go through process of a permanent installation as thats what I advice on it.
Now how others care to do it once they bought it - its up to them.
Designing covers that go over windows, fabricating adapter etc., all are things that open up a whole new can of worms, as there are 100s of different styles of windows/openings, etc., IMHO thats pointless as that becomes a custom application.
Anyone wanting to go that route are welcome to talk to me and I'll make something custom, but thats a separate cost/labor.
One of my buddies wanted to have it on his truck canopy while he is out hunting as he uses his canopy as bedding on such trips (gets dusty obviously), wanted it removable as needed.
After 2nd try, he said its simpler to just leave it permanently mounted...

Mounting the DustBox using the window opening means, in a lot of cases, on the side of the trailer. I would rather cut a 5x5 whole in the front center of trailer then worry about how well a side window mount would hold up in wind or tree branches. Not to mention the efficiency of the DustBox pushing air in from front and center.

Nikson

Explorer
Mounting the DustBox using the window opening means, in a lot of cases, on the side of the trailer. I would rather cut a 5x5 whole in the front center of trailer then worry about how well a side window mount would hold up in wind or tree branches. Not to mention the efficiency of the DustBox pushing air in from front and center.
agreed.
This accessory is meant to be installed permanently, and should be purpose-used, although has other benefits such as air circulation to prevent condensation build up, as well as simply providing clean - filtered fresh air into the area its installed upon.
Have seen interest in RV industry as something that would keep "garage storage" area of the dust free.
Glad you got the product and happy with its quality!

Update on install. So full disclosure I am mechanically impotent so did not even consider doing the install myself.

I did however get out the caulk gun and closed all the window shades. Then turned on all the interior lights. Then in the pitch dark garage looked for light shining through. Found a few spots that needed silicone caulk. She is sealed up pretty tight.

Dropped trailer with the DustBox, wiring harness, permatex sealant/adhesive and adjustable swithbox at my installers shop. We discussed placement and wiring procedures. Decided best to run wires internally inside trailer then into tounge box. To be continued...

Attachments

• 20240529_191957.jpg
    20240529_191957.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240529_191935.jpg
    20240529_191935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240530_193725.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193725.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240530_193737.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193737.jpg