E350 4WD Camper Van Build

tommonta

Observer
Finally got the roof tent installed and making our first long road trip in the van. Here are a couple of pics:

Bruceport County Park, WA
20140727_210553.jpg

Spinreel Campground, OR
20140729_071549.jpg

Top of some hill in Los Padres National Forest, CA
20140731_202432.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Now that is a PNW rainfly! Nice work. Let see some more pics of the tent and how it was built!

tommonta

Observer
The box is made from 12mm okoume marine plywood with double layers to reinforce the hinge locations and around the inside lip of each box half. The strips around the lip are offset, one up and one down, for an overlapping fit when closed. There is a strip of fabric reinforced PVC screwed to the inside of the box along the hinge edge to help seal the forward end of the box. Contents stay dry even when driving in the pouring rain on the freeway. Hinge brackets are aluminum with steel pin and bronze bushing. 250lb gas springs assist opening and closing. Box is 81"x60"x12" (queen size bed mattress) build using West System epoxy and glass tape to reinforce all butt joints.

Tent and fly are made from super k-kote ripstop nylon and No-See-UM Mosquito Netting for windows and vents.

The tent is a little high on the van. I made it for my Toyota Tacoma DC and that is a much better height for setup and take down. My long term plan is to build a pop top for the van.

20140807_174205.jpg

20140807_174153.jpg

20140807_174147.jpg

QCAuto

Observer
nice cattle guard bumper! if this is just for camping the Chinook 20 would be wicked like the 4x4 one in Alberta..username escapes me

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
What was the fate of that rack that was on the top when you purchased? Im assuming its long gone. Is that a custom rack or are those mass produced? What is its intended use maybe I can search by that? Thank you and good luck on the new project.

tommonta

Observer
I sold the rack a while back. The rack was custom and it weighed about 8,000 pounds;) It also had too much clearance to the roof, it was about 6 inches higher than necessary.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I sold the rack a while back. The rack was custom and it weighed about 8,000 pounds;) It also had too much clearance to the roof, it was about 6 inches higher than necessary.

Good info. So it would not be worth its weight. How top heavy does that tent make it feel? I know you are selling so it must have had its downsides. I am a man and his dogs and you have a family so is it just that. You need to accommodate too many variables? So you need more size space and room to build up? I dont want to start a project and then realize I need to sell. Im noticing a lot of time and money goes into these rigs then they are in the for sale thread. Thanks

tommonta

Observer
The rack was fine for driving, it was just a pain to take it off and I didn't have a good place to do it at home. The roof tent weighs about 160 pounds and I can tell a little difference with the wind, but not much on the weight.

The van is great in the summer with four people and two dogs, but my kids are in high school so by the time I really get an interior build done we will probably be two people and two dogs. For bad weather/winter we have decided that we want something bigger.

catmandu

Observer
Just an FYI on the Oakland bigfoot. There were very few made. If you think that is what you want I believe GNTY may be willing to part with his non-4x4 one. Yes, he has a second one which is only the second one I have ever seen on the inter-webs. My guess is there are a couple more roaming around Canada but if I recall correctly there were only something on the order of 10 made and some of those went to Japan.

tommonta

Observer
Thanks for the info. I have never seen the Oakland in person, but looks pretty good in the pics. There is a local Chinook V10 for sale, and I have seen a few others posted on craigslist over the last couple months.

Gotta sell the van first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3