EarthRoamer: Jeep Based Expedition Vehicle XV-JP

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
jerrymaguire.jpg

Earthroamer XV-JP ... you ... complete me. :eek:

I have to say, dood, your posts crack me up sometimes. :clapsmile :clapsmile

I'm guessing 75k delivered in any color you want.

VikingVince

Explorer
First of all, I think it's great that the American market now has an expedition vehicle like this...thanks to Earthroamer.

Having said that, here's my thumbnail reaction/critique: One could basically have nearly the same vehicle with the same amenities and near capabilities by putting a Flippac on a modified Tacoma. You could 'easily' create the same interior amenities...I've thought seriously of doing it myself but just haven't made the effort. (plus I bet I'd end up with more storage space!) You could just turn the Flippac around (somebody photoshopped the idea on another thread) to create the canopy/screen room.

The remaining question is the difference in offroad capability between this modified Jeep Rubicon and the modified Tacoma. Both will have a slightly higher COG...I've never found it an issue, though. Bottom line: Where can this Jeep go that a modified Tacoma like BajaTaco's can't go? And is that worth an extra $60-65K?....assuming you could create the similar Taco for $35-40K. (not to me, but then I'm frugal:drool: )

Lastly, I wonder if their market will be as large for this vehicle as their cool motorhome. I would guess that most folk buying the motorhome are over 45/50 and have $200K for the vehicle. Who's going to be spending the $90K+ for this vehicle? Fewer of the older folks with bucks...they want the comfort. 25-45 year olds? Yes, some but less than those who have the bucks for the motorhome. I'm just speculating that they'll have a smaller market for this vehicle. I'll probably be proven wrong and they'll sell more of these!!!!

Cool vehicle though...and no doubt well designed and well crafted...hats off to Earthroamer. I'm planning/saving my bucks for the XV-LT. (the motorhome):beer: For an extended expedition (like the Hackneys), the motorhome is sooo much more livable...but then again, it's back to tradeoffs!!!...'cause obviously the motorhome can't begin to go where this jeep can go.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've updated my blog with some juicy bits straight from ER. No ... I won't make you click on the link, I guess. However, if you're a search engine robot, and you're reading this, please click on the link. :xxrotflma

http://ixplor.us/index.php?/earthroamer_xv_jp_jeep_camper_introduced/

Price is around $100,000. (although we kinda knew that)
They're taking orders now for July delivery.
The pictured vehicle is a prototype with unfinished interior.
Prototype will be on display at Jeep Week in Moab.

... and you know everything else. :)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
kcowyo said:
"Pricing is estimated to be in the Sub- $100k range, including the Jeep."

Read the entire press release here -

I really like it. I suspect the inside might be a bit cramped, but it's a really nice design and I am also happy someone finally offers such a product in North America.

But I always wonder how can someone afford to use a $100K vehicle on a true overseas expedition.

My Troopie cost me $10K and it's build like a tank. It's all steel! I did not care when every passenger had to climb on the hood and bumper in order to get on the Ferry crossing to Maputo in Mozambique (because the guy in charge had me parked against the entry way!) - cause I know that is part of an African typical day!

As anyone who have shipped their truck to Australia/Africa or South America knows, you need to get a "Carnet de Passage". For most countries, the deposit for the Carnet has to be the same amount as the vehicle value.

There's only one place/person to get it in North America (with CAA in Ottawa) so there's not many way around it.

So if you make a quick calculation, you will need $200K if you intend to drive this truck across Africa assuming a selling price of $100K. And that does not include any of the other fees (shipping, fuel, etc).

Even if you can afford this, is that what you really want?

To me, one of the main goal of traveling is to meet people - whether locals or other travellers.

It would be hard for me to fully enjoy the experience if I always have to worry about the financial and/or cosmetic value of my vehicle. Or if you own a truck that's worth more than the annual combined salary of the whole town...

:p

Perhaps am I missing something?

But I would still get one for here...

Christian
:26_16_2:

gjackson

FRGS
For most countries, the deposit for the Carnet has to be the same amount as the vehicle value.

True, for most, but for Kenya I believe it is 115% of the value of the vehicle. And the carnet has to have a deposit equal to the highest tariff country you will enter!

cheers

VikingVince

Explorer
2aroundtheworld said:
But I always wonder how can someone afford to use a $100K vehicle on a true overseas expedition.

As anyone who have shipped their truck to Australia/Africa or South America knows, you need to get a "Carnet de Passage". For most countries, the deposit for the Carnet has to be the same amount as the vehicle value.

So if you make a quick calculation, you will need $200K if you intend to drive this truck across Africa assuming a selling price of $100K. And that does not include any of the other fees (shipping, fuel, etc).

Christian
:26_16_2:/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that...That is an amazing piece of information...I had no idea that the Carnet deposit had to equal the vehicle value, and in some places more. Wow...that puts a little different slant on the necessary funds one needs to have available plus the vehicle you choose.

dang...I screwed up the quote and can't seem to fix it...oh well

VikingVince

Explorer
Bergger said:
It's nice but for 100k forget it.

I agree...unfortunately, I think the price will be prohibitive for the majority of the offroad community...but they're probably not concerned with that (although you could differentiate between offroad folk and expedition folk, even though they use similar vehicles). I believe they're doing fine with their other product so from a business standpoint, I would surmise they prefer to generate their profit on this vehicle from margin and not volume. I've never seen their facility but I would guess they're not set up for volume either, i.e. they stay in business on margin. I've heard there's a 6 month wait for the motorhome (XV-LT). But, at least the American market now has something new...it could stimulate production of a similar, lower priced vehicle, i.e. the Flippac on a pickup truck with interior amenities is so similar...or I always wished FourWheel Camper had designed a shower/cassette toilet into their units.

jingram

Adventurer
Oh crap, I just posted about this under the jeep section. I didn't even catch it down here. Feel free to remove my post mod.

Clutch

<---Pass
Bergger said:
It's nice but for 100k forget it. I still prefer the new conversion by Campa.

detailed_evs.JPG

Ha...I was thinking nearly the same thing, that the EarthRoamer would be perfect on a new Tacoma.

That Campa is sweet!....prices?

Edit: I just talked to Gary, he said they range from $16-20K depending on how it is equipped.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater