EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, did you consider selling this to someone who would appreciate it, and starting over with a fresh JK?
Well, the issue wasn't really getting a new JK, but rather having an EarthRoamer/C.F. Meier cabin to modify. There are only 13 others, and they are all understandably in use.

We did give considerable thought to buying XV-JP #001, which had been on sale here on ExPo for an inexplicably long time. But the work done optimizing my chassis (things like the AEV suspension, the Long Ranger aux fuel tank, and so on) suggested that it wouldn't be cost effective to use any other Jeep. It's also not clear that selling it for even half of my investment would have been a slam dunk. Certain things about how the "Northwest Edition" was put together were highly idiosyncratic, and not everyone was a fan of the way I laid it out.

Setting aesthetics aside, for a moment, recognize that the value of the things to be reused substantially exceeds the value of the things undone. The plywood and veneer was valuable once Paul finished crafting it, but its intrinsic value is way less than that of the batteries, petrol heater, inverter, charger, refrigerator, windows, air system, plumbing, instruments, alarms, and so on that were retained. (And, incidentally, problems from the leaks incurred over the years had started to undermine the integrity of the existing cabinetry, so leaving everything as-was wasn't an option in any event.)

No one feels worse than I about undoing the unique and handsome Jeep that I and others have invested so much time in. But the critical issue was the need for an XV-JP cabin on a well-sorted chassis, and reconstructing mine was the easiest and most cost-effective way to get one.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
But why not just fab a new shell, if that is all that is being re-purposed? (Dion apparently worked on the original XV-JP project.)
The XV-JP shells are very thick cored fiberglass, and their construction requires a set of molds, the production of which is prohibitively costly for a single (or even several) cabins. As you might guess, EarthRoamer (or their manufacturer) currently has the molds, and they are not interested in allowing their use by others, even with a substantial payment.

A box-type cabin constructed from panels would have been possible, but was not what I was looking to do now.

Keyne

Adventurer
Obviously no need to rationalize it to me (or others); its your Jeep and it has had a a amazing journey thus far. Your vision to totally change it from the original Earthroamer was amazing and fun to see transform. I am sure lots of people thought that was crazy. Can't wait to see what you do next. Also the work Paul did on that interior was amazing and your Jeep opened up my eyes to his work. For instance I LOVE the Fuso he built. Totally amazing. If I could get him to build a Sprinter or Transit for me my wife might actually agree to live out of it. :). Honestly, though it is sad to see that interior gutted... I was always going you would put it up for sale so I could buy it.

Btw, should you create a new build thread and link it from this one? What are you going to call the new one?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Is there a fix planned for the rear door...???...
Yeah, that was a big item. Dion apparently knows what to do from having built #014 in a way that fixed the problem.

The fix profits from an additional hinge at the top. Contrary to what my wife thinks, saving all the leftover bits paid off . . . I could give Dion the old stock Jeep hinges I took off when I put on the Teraflex JK HD Hinged Tire Carrier back in Post #681.

I expect we'll have pictures of that one soon.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If I could get him to build a Sprinter or Transit for me my wife might actually agree to live out of it. :)

That'd be a sound idea, both because of Paul's work and because the Euro vans make great overlanding platforms. Make it so. ;)

Btw, should you create a new build thread and link it from this one? What are you going to call the new one?

Good question, but given I didn't start new build threads when it went to Upscale, or James, or Paul, it probably doesn't make sense to start over for Dion's work. And it can sensibly stay the Northwest Edition, given that it was, and is, the Northwest climate that causes all of my attempts at reconfiguring ER's original LoftTop to work in the rainy winters.

(Not that it gets called the Northwest Edition anywhere except the title of this thread. . . since hardly anyone has seen more than one XV-JP, calling it an EarthRoamer Jeep works for most people and helps them to find links on the internet. :))

vwteleman

Observer
But the work done optimizing my chassis...
Well, I can at least see and appreciate you're thought process through this.

It's also not clear that selling it for even half of my investment would have been a slam dunk.
But ... a good chunk of that investment was just ripped out and thrown in a pile.

Setting aesthetics aside, for a moment, recognize that the value of the things to be reused substantially exceeds the value of the things undone.
I tend to disagree, but admittedly I can't set aesthetics aside (and I'm not signing the cheques :D).

It just seems so recent that Paul performed his magic, and now it's ... gone! Still think it's a shame, but as Keyne said, it's your vehicle, and I'll be following along just as I was before.

Cheers,
Brent

GR8ADV

Explorer
.....(And, incidentally, problems from the leaks incurred over the years had started to undermine the integrity of the existing cabinetry, so leaving everything as-was wasn't an option in any event.)

...But the critical issue was the need for an XV-JP cabin on a well-sorted chassis, and reconstructing mine was the easiest and most cost-effective way to get one.

So reading between the lines here it appears two paths crossed. Dion's path of trying to kickstart his vision of the XP crossed with Mike's path that the current configuration had some issues and those issues would require a hefty facelift. I can see how the marriage was formed.
Please don't mistake this comment thinking I was not as disturbed as everyone else when I saw the gutting in post 816.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Fiberglass products arrived today, next couple weeks should be eventful. people on the east coast should be able to see the completed Jeep in October as we are looking to unveil the build at Overland Expo east. If you don’t get a chance to see it at overland expo east we are in the works of bringing the vehicle to sema 2015. Towards the end of next week I should be making the fresh water tank and possibly some other smaller pieces. Lots of hard work to empty out there interior but we have come a long way in little time.

View attachment 294164

Over on ADV the term 205 refers to something at has been posted way too many times. ( interesting story of the history of that I will leave up to you to track down ). So quite often one will see a post like " this may be 205 but...bla bla Bla".
I think post 816 may have a similar future. I can see the references now. " we didn't know where to start on the van so we 816'd it". " oh man, 816 that thing and start again..."
Just thought I would add some levity in a painful time.

EKBCPA

Yeah, that was a big item. Dion apparently knows what to do from having built #014 in a way that fixed the problem.

The fix profits from an additional hinge at the top.

photo_zps8c53a523.jpg

Like this? It works.

DionK

Hello fellow portal members,

I want to give you an update on where I am at with the Jeep build.

A few months ago, I contracted a local construction company to build me a new building with the release date of July 1st, which now has come and gone. Construction is going very slow and adding rain to the process hasn’t helped. With the delay of the building, I called family members from Nevada and Colorado to help move the construction along to get the building finished. The building should be done by end of next week, and once it is released to me a lot of great things will be happening.

Once the building is completed I will provide you with daily updates of the Jeep build.

IMG_1594.jpgView attachment 295421View attachment 295421

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach