EarthRoamer XV-LT.. could you live out of one..

alosix

Expedition Leader
Say you figured a way to make your living on the move. As a fairly independent programmer as long as I have internet access I normally have income.

What if I wanted to travel around, kinda slowly, in one of these. Setting up wherever I could in the americas.

Could you live out of one as a 'primary residence' for a few years?

Jason

alosix

Expedition Leader
I've seen people live out of less. What do you need to be happy?

I think that's what I'm trying to figure out :)

Both of my parents (yes both) have spent a considerable amount of their lives living in Semi Truck sleepers driving coast to coast.

I left a good sized 4br house last year to move out west to a 1br apartment in the silly valley. Starting to find that less living space == less stuff, which seems to equal happier/less stressed Jason.

Last edited:

WF-Wagrub

It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you can live with. I currently live out of a TJ & Small Trailer. I lived out of a Dakota & 5X8 cargo trailer from 03 until 08. When I'm working I rent a place and when I'm traveling I have nothing to weigh me down.

AFSOC

Explorer
It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you can live with. I currently live out of a TJ & Small Trailer. I lived out of a Dakota & 5X8 cargo trailer from 03 until 08. When I'm working I rent a place and when I'm traveling I have nothing to weigh me down.

You can't just tease like that...you owe us a lengthy post! We need more detail.

WF-Wagrub

Ok, longer explaination:
I totally understand what Jason is looking for. After many years of living in one place I sold my house, quit my permanent job and started working temporary / Seasonal jobs. That was late 2002 / early 2003.
It's not for everyone, particularly if you have 'Family', but it is do-able. I've lived on the NC Coast, NC Mountains, Nevada, Alaska, and am Currently living in Yellowstone. I don't know if you'd call my lifestyle 'Overlanding' or not, but rather than a Vacation to someplace I get to live in an area and get to know the community of people that live there.

good luck Jason
Randy

alosix

Expedition Leader

That doesn't sound a whole lot different. I'm still trying to get rid of my house in MD, but I'm pretty much living out of what would fit in the Jeep and 4x6 trailer when I moved out to CA.

I'm still trying to work this out and it would be a little while before we took the plunge. I like to get places by driving and have found that myself and my GF can adapt to about anything. If she had her way we'd probably be roaming around on a small sail boat, and who knows.. that might just be phase 2.

Jason

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I've seen people live out of less. What do you need to be happy?
Well said. The XV-LT has a lot of advantages--solar power, a permanent bed, a toilet system workable anywhere, good capacities, quite secure, etc.--that make it probably the best choice of something of that form factor. But in spite of the nice materials and workmanship, the cabin's still not much different in size from a jail cell. That said, though, you have only to look at the number of Europeans taking two years at a time to travel the Americas out of the back of smaller cabins than the ER has to see that it's clearly doable.

It may well depend on the different places where you will be. It's a lot easier to spend long periods in a small cabin when the weather is good and you spend most time outside versus being stuck 24/7 in the cabin because of inclement--cold, snow, rain, sandstorm, whatever--weather.

Either way, figure that if it would work for you, you'd be widely admired and envied. :)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The Badgers have lived for a while in their Sportsmobile...search here and google badgertrek I think.
Great read and very nice people

haven

Expedition Leader
Life in a camper becomes more complicated if you have a significant other living in the camper with you. Even though the XV-LT is a large camper, it's awkward for two people to move around without the "after you, Alphonse" sort of dance. I guess you get better at it with practice!

Forum member "Carlyle" recently completed outfitting a custom Alaskan Camper. He works at a hospital and has shifts that are 12 hours on, 12 off. Rather than commute, he drives the camper to work, and lives in the camper in the parking lot between shifts. Read about his camper here
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9502

Momrocks

Adventurer
I completely agree that the ER XV-LT is fully capable of being “lived out of” for years. I think the limiting factor is all human. I know several who are snow birds and travel south for the winter living 4-6 months (sometimes a month or two longer) in self contained RVs. My grandparents traveled between Mexico/Arizona and Montana for several years. It’s an adventure but not without some sacrifice.

I also know of some “one winter wonders”, folks who burned their briefcases and bought an RV for a “life on the road.” After the first winter living aboard found that the romance of the concept was far stronger than their resolve to the compromises required. Those RVs spend their time in the driveway and are lucky to see a week on the road annually.

Of course their exceptions to every situation, the ones I pointed out are generalizations. There are some who have no issue living out of a van, RV or even a rented storage unit…truly nomadic souls. I speculate most people feel a need for grounding. It is my observation that most who do extended travel successfully have a location they call home, be it a brick and mortar home or other location where belongings are stored. As humans we are driven for a belonging and need to accumulate stuff. The concept of home just makes people at ease.

Living for a couple of years in an ER or sailboat is possible but not for everyone. It is an undeniably romantic notion. Execution is equally, undeniably difficult. Giving up possessions (frivolous as they may be) and home (in concept) is not as easy in practice as it is to rationalize. It takes the rare combination of like minded spouses, who are truly compatible and willing to forgo some conventional comforts for the reward of freedom most of us will not know.

I don’t think I am alone on this forum, dreaming about this lifestyle. I am a realist though and admit I cannot achieve this right now. Children, obligations and business are considerations but my lack of resolve is the greatest factor. I have structured my investments to leave the possibility open in ten years when my youngest is in college and if or when I/we achieve the willingness liquidate material assets and accept some compromises for the road’s reward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven