EarthRoamer XV-LTS (S for Stretch)

dzzz

36.7 kwh?
That's TWELVE 8D batteries! Over 1900 lbs.
The two that the ER has now at 255A-hr each, at 12.0V, hold ~6 kwh.
Even the largest Unicats only carry six 8Ds.

Charlie

Telsa roadster stores 53 kWh. That pack would likely be in an acceptable size/weight range for the ER.

Bob599

Observer
Yeah floor plan. I need to update my bedside material! +1 on bunk beds on one side.

Yeah kids too........

Trey1940

Less useful for off roading, but increased capacity.

The only really limiting thing is the turning radius, IMO.. with the MPT81s and the suspension all the way up the breakover doesn't look like it'd be too far off the 37" tires stock..

I would like to see a shortened XV-LT too

Could be based off the 6 3/4' bed Super Duty 350/450.. Crew Cab would be 158" and Supercab would be 142".. :smiley_drive:

Dale

Adventurer
When I was thinking of a smaller XV-LT I was comparing to Bill Swail's 2nd Dodge Ram
OriginalEarthroamer.jpg

Maybe a 8' noncabover camper would fill a niche market, something that could mount to any 1 ton chasis through minor alterations. In my area its pretty moist so anything with a soft top is going to smell of mildew after a while and all the used Alaskans for sale in the area are rotted. Just wishing:drool:

skysix

Adventurer
The only really limiting thing is the turning radius, IMO.. with the MPT81s and the suspension all the way up the breakover doesn't look like it'd be too far off the 37" tires stock...

Sounds ripe for a rear steer application - easier if designed in at the start. Build with a lockout so switches inactive unless in 1st or reverse and a positive electrically actuated centering and locking system on the tierods to fix them at dead center for the other gears.

skysix

Adventurer
all the used Alaskans for sale in the area are rotted

Personally I think that Bill Wheat et al should resurrect the ALCAN brand (Fiberglas foam sandwich walls IIRC) and design an expo version for the 350/450 4x4 flatbed/ute tray market ..

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Personally I think that Bill Wheat et al should resurrect the ALCAN brand (Fiberglas foam sandwich walls IIRC) and design an expo version for the 350/450 4x4 flatbed/ute tray market ..

That's pretty much what Marc Wassman has done with his XPCamper, and he even includes the flatbed part. ;)

Trey1940

Sounds ripe for a rear steer application - easier if designed in at the start. Build with a lockout so switches inactive unless in 1st or reverse and a positive electrically actuated centering and locking system on the tierods to fix them at dead center for the other gears.

I had to read that a couple times to understand, but i think i get it..

What about if the truck were in 1st and turning slightly (such as in an intersection) and it went into second? would the rear wheels default to straight? Also, maybe an on/off switch and a manual control system for side-tracking..

Offtrack

Offtrack Traveler
Wow. Very nice. Happy to see them get turned around and looking forward.
Might just have to visit Earthroamer some day. Been thinking of the HOST as it has more room...now the game plan just changed a little. :drool::drool: I just need to solve one small issue...$$$.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I had to read that a couple times to understand, but i think i get it..

What about if the truck were in 1st and turning slightly (such as in an intersection) and it went into second? would the rear wheels default to straight? Also, maybe an on/off switch and a manual control system for side-tracking..

I know there are rear-steer systems in monster trucks and other offroad applications, they are usually designed to self-center after you let go of the control stick.
Of course, there's a reason they are usually designated as "not for highway use" - watch a monster truck show and see how often the rear steer system break.

Of course, GM had some sort of rear steer on their pickups and some SUV's for a while, not sure how long... But the rear was more like "assistive" than a true steering axle from what I remember, the wheels didn't have the level of movement as the fronts.

zigsrig

Adventurer
I stumbled upon the new ER office yesterday while i was at one of their neighbors who has customized a few toys for me.

Glad to see them back up and running!

That office park is a gear head's dream!

Trey1940

Of course, GM had some sort of rear steer on their pickups and some SUV's for a while, not sure how long... But the rear was more like "assistive" than a true steering axle from what I remember, the wheels didn't have the level of movement as the fronts.

I think that'd be perfect for the XV-LTS, maybe something between 15-25 degrees just to compensate for the extra 2' wheelbase.. Did the GM steering have an enable/disable switch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal