EarthRoamer XV-LTS (S for Stretch)

skysix

Adventurer
That's pretty much what Marc Wassman has done with his XPCamper, and he even includes the flatbed part. ;)

Very nice camper - unfortunately it is not a hard sided popup like the Alaskan and Alcan - the bed area is fabric. At the temps I routinely would use it in (below -20) too much heat would be lost

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
He has panels for the sides, and I think Marc said the walls were 1.5" thick so they should withstand pretty cold temps.
Through emails with Marc, he is confident in the structure to retain the heat, and he's got a pretty cool diesel heater as well.

Just email Marc yourself, he usually answered me within a day or 2.
That way you can get the real answers right from the guy that designed the camper, not a random internet dude. (Me)
:D

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I haven't heard of this HOST company/unit, can you elaborate or provide a link?

http://www.hostcampers.com/. They used to push a 4x4 line of Class C campers, but they aren't as evident on their site any more. However, if you go to their Super C 270 spec sheet, they list 'Ford OEM 4-wheel drive' as a 'Popular Option'.

Due to the size of their motor homes, I think the only person that the 4x4 option might appeal to is the ski bum who wants to have an extra sense of security when they hit snow on the highway. That's what I would want one for. And pull a small 4x4 behind to use off road.

Also, from the little I know about motor home slide-outs, I don't think I would want to take one on anything worse than a gravel road.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Also, from the little I know about motor home slide-outs, I don't think I would want to take one on anything worse than a gravel road.

Thanks for the link.

I have heard that both the slide-outs and pop-outs on smaller trailers tend to be a great source where a leak can occur.
I'd be really hesistant to lay money down on a unit that had either one of those features. It's too bad because they are a great idea of saving weight and length on a travel trailer, and still retaining a good size of living space inside.

mobilguy66

Lynn, I own a Host 300 (2009/30') and love it. Very high quality units. I live PA. and have yet to see another on the east coast. Been from Maine to Florida with it so far. They are perfect for what your needs are. Used the 4 wheel one time to get out of the fields at Pocono Raceway where everybody was pulled or towed out. The only thing bad is the people who swarm the truck where ever we go. If ever interested be sure you get the insulated window package and the heated water/greg/black tanks to use in the winter. I believe they are on a order only basis. Dave the owner is a nice guy. Paul

dzzz

Just noticed one of their larger models is on eBay right now:

Link

Who say's we can't get a diesel 4x4 camper in the US? :)

Once the truck no longer has the clearances to take it anywhere resembling off-road does it matter if it's built on a pickup cab/chassis? It seems to me that chopping up the interior space without offering the benefits of a true truck can't have the benefit of either a offroad vehicle or an RV.

The linked camper would have at least a factory 200" wheelbase. That's a 16' 6" wheelbase. To get even somewhat close to off road specs the rear would need to be chopped off a couple feet and 5' tires would need to be added. At that point the truck is close to maximum legal height and pretty much a freak show. Then there's the dual rear wheels.

The dry weight is 17,300. The maximum GVWR I've seen on an F550 chassis is 19,500. It will likely be run at 22-23K lbs. Which actually isn't horrible as it can't be driven anywhere rough anyways.

Everyone here who has worked at designing offroad campers over 20 feet knows that the math gets inconvenient quickly. It may look somewhat like a duck and quack somewhat like a duck but it's still an RV if it doesn't have the right numbers. Every design is a cost/benefit analysis and I see no evidence that a pickup based super C offers any advantage over other base vehicle choices.

The proffered ER LT Stretch looks to be limit of a design that can still be called off road capable. But it's also presumably over $300K and has a lot of tire and suspension work.

My primary reason for abandoning the F550 as a base vehicle and going with a class 7 unimog was to avoid being at the extreme end of a base vehicles capability. Stuff breaks more at the limits. Building up a truck to it's max is expensive. I would still love to own a 2011 Ford with the new diesel but only in a design that makes sense.

RR1

Explorer
Just noticed one of their larger models is on eBay right now:

Link

Who say's we can't get a diesel 4x4 camper in the US? :)

Seriously!? You can't take that thing most places, I know some paved roads that thing couldn't go on.

Max camper for a F550 chassis is the Turtle V, or a popup camper version of this brush truck.

http://www.gfebrushtrucks.com/

I wouldn't want anything bigger, the EarthRoamer is a bit big & tall for my taste. I would destroy it going the places I like to go. What is it with bloated American vehicles?

haven

Expedition Leader
Different strokes. You'll have a hard time fitting a family of four
or a SWAT communications center into the Turtle V. The attraction
of the stretched Earthroamer is when you need space for more
people and/or stuff.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I wouldn't want anything bigger, the EarthRoamer is a bit big & tall for my taste. I would destroy it going the places I like to go. What is it with bloated American vehicles?

Bloated American vehicles...
you need to look at the thread from the German Allrad show, or any of the threads that show the Unicat UniMog Mann Tata rigs that are built in Europe for Africa.
Those are way bigger than an Earthroamer.

Having traveled Baja with an Earthroamer in my group and watching them go pretty much everywhere I went in the Sportsmobile I am very impressed by the rigs.
Sure low hanging branches and building overhangs might be an issue but the person who pays for it learns such things.

This idea that something that isn't right for YOU just isn't right at all is messed up.
Personally I doubt I will ever ride a bike as a long distance camper, but I love the fact that there are people that do, that there is an industry to support them and places to ride. And who knows maybe there will be some gear or knowledge drift that will help me out...like the Continental Divide Route..started as a hiking trail, then biked, then moto's and then I got to 4wd from Canada to Mexico..nice!

This idea of raising yourself up by tearing others down is childish. If you don't like something fine, if it isn't for you fine..you are within your domain to say so. But to say it can't "offroad" or "bloated Ameican vehicles" just isn't cool.

There isn't one perfect standard, thank the Lord, there are buggies, and class A RV's and everything in between...to each his own and good on anyone who can make a living helping folks enjoy the outdoors.

RR1

Explorer
This idea of raising yourself up by tearing others down is childish. If you don't like something fine, if it isn't for you fine..you are within your domain to say so. But to say it can't "offroad" or "bloated Ameican vehicles" just isn't cool.

There isn't one perfect standard, thank the Lord, there are buggies, and class A RV's and everything in between...to each his own and good on anyone who can make a living helping folks enjoy the outdoors.

No need to get all sensitive mate, it was sarcasm.:ylsmoke:

No need to bring a fictitious character into this either.

RR1

Explorer
Different strokes. You'll have a hard time fitting a family of four
or a SWAT communications center into the Turtle V. The attraction
of the stretched Earthroamer is when you need space for more
people and/or stuff.

I think you're missing my point a bit. Or I didn't explain my thoughts well enough, (typical me)

Putting that much weight on a F550 Chassis, is pushing the vehicle's design limits, it is shortening the lifespan of the vehicle.
Why not do it right and go with a F650 or larger, Mog, Hemtt chassis? dzzz understands.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I think you're missing my point a bit. Or I didn't explain my thoughts well enough, (typical me)

Putting that much weight on a F550 Chassis, is pushing the vehicle's design limits, it is shortening the lifespan of the vehicle.
Why not do it right and go with a F650 or larger, Mog, Hemtt chassis? dzzz understands.

This part I agree with completely...our builds often push the limits of the designs and shorten the live of the rig.
Ahh the balance of what I want to take vs what I need to take vs what I can take :)

Point well made RR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal