EarthRoamer XV-LTS (S for Stretch)

RR1

Explorer
Please explain..

"No need to bring a fictitious character into this either. "

Do I really need to explain that? Religion/politics has no place on the Expo. (At least that is what I am told)

It was more sarcasm BTW...

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
This part I agree with completely...our builds often push the limits of the designs and shorten the live of the rig.
Ahh the balance of what I want to take vs what I need to take vs what I can take :)

Point well made RR.

Note: Sorry if I come off abrasive, maybe I worked in construction too long.:ylsmoke:

Bingo! The size of the Turtle V is perfect for a 550 chassis. Anything larger than that should be installed on a heavier more capable chassis. Jay Shapiro (family of 4?) got it right with the EcoRoamer. I see that as a very capable SWAT command center.

I see a popup camper version of this. Perfect size IMO for the 450/550 Ford chassis.

brush-truck-13.jpg

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
Different strokes. You'll have a hard time fitting a family of four
or a SWAT communications center into the Turtle V. The attraction
of the stretched Earthroamer is when you need space for more
people and/or stuff.

The TurtleV and standard length ER are great options for 2, but would be snug for 4+. I like the idea of an extended floorplan ER. I'm not sure about the longer wheelbase, but for some it could be a reasonable compromise.

In my case I opted for maximum storage space on the 60 cab to axle. We certainly can't go to some of the places that a Mog (or regular cab F550 with Alaskan popup) can. However, it gets our gear far enough down unimproved roads safely to serve our needs. After that mountain bikes, inflatable kayaks, or hiking boots are our vehicles of choice. When we get back to camp we have all the comforts of home.

F550 Camper.JPG

Bill--Floor plan, please! Even if it's still a work in progress. JP

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/sneakpeak/index.htm

These are preliminary layouts subject to change, but the first XV-LTS floor plan features longer seats, booth seats that convert to a queen size bed (instead of the twin on the XV-LT), optional upper fold-away bunk bed on the passenger side and storage under both camper seats that is accessible from the inside or outside of the vehicle.

The second layout features a dry bath (shower separate from toilet) and larger galley. Once again, there is storage under both camper seats that is accessible from the inside or outside of the vehicle.

Options available on the XV-LT are also available on the XV-LTS

Bunk beds on one side would sure be nice! (yeah well, so sue me I have kids!) :D

I’m really excited about our “hide-away” bunk bed design. I’ll post a link once the design is finalized.

I would like to see a shortened XV-LT too, most of my traveling is in the NE where it is densly wooded and moist..

We are currently working on a design for 3/4 ton (250/2500) and 1 ton (350/3500) based expedition vehicles. This is an incredibly innovative design that we believe will revolutionize this segment of the market. We plan to offer this for Ford, GM and Dodge trucks.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about the capacity of Ford F-550 trucks. I wholeheartedly agree that expedition vehicles should be designed and built within the gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR) of the base vehicle manufacturer. It is somewhat of a dirty little secret in the RV industry that many RV’s exceed the manufacturers GVWR even before filling the water and fuel tanks, let alone adding gear. I saw an F-550 based RV at an RV show that actually had a label that showed an empty weight that was greater than the GVWR of the F-550 base truck. One way manufacturers get around this is by not including “dealer installed options” – things like refrigerators, heaters, extra batteries etc. – even though these items are always installed at the factory.

Our new XV-LT’s (GVWR of 19,500 lbs.) come in at roughly 15,000-16,000 lbs. (depending on options) with full fuel and water tanks. That means that after you have filled up with 90 gallons of fuel and 85 gallons you still have over 3,500 pounds of cargo carrying capacity. The XV-LTS will weigh aproximately 500 pounds more. All of the mechanical components hold up better and last longer when you run significantly under the GVWR of your vehicle.

Bill Swails
President and CEO
EarthRoamer

boblynch

Adventurer
Bill, best of luck with the new floorplans and designs. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I think my wife would be very pleased by a dry bath :sombrero:

<snip>
The second layout features a dry bath (shower separate from toilet) and larger galley. Once again, there is storage under both camper seats that is accessible from the inside or outside of the vehicle.
<snip>

This sounds like very exciting news ! Very much looking forward to hearing more ! ! ! :coffeedrink:

<snip>
We are currently working on a design for 3/4 ton (250/2500) and 1 ton (350/3500) based expedition vehicles. This is an incredibly innovative design that we believe will revolutionize this segment of the market. We plan to offer this for Ford, GM and Dodge trucks.
<snip>

DKB2GO

Observer
revolutionize this segment of the market

Bill,

Have been reading the forum and researching vehicle options for while. Very interested in the XV-LT. At the same time, I'm curious to see the rollout of this new design you suggested. When might you be revealing that to us? As an alternative to the XV-LT, I really like the idea of something between the XV-LT and the XV-JP.

Cheers,

David

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the slow response. I hadn't visited this thread in a while, but I have to reply:

Just noticed one of their larger models is on eBay right now:

<dead link to mondo 4x4 class C motorhome>

Who say's we can't get a diesel 4x4 camper in the US? :)

Seriously!? You can't take that thing most places...

No, not seriously. Thus the similey :) :)

goin camping

Explorer

Bill Swails
President and CEO
EarthRoamer

Hi Bill,

Since your here I thought I'd tell you about my dream Earthroamer.

It's pretty close to the Dodge Earthroamer in post #21. The body of the camper is short and there is storage on the back and around the bottom. I'd extend the cabover bed because a big bed is a comfy bed.

Thanks

Bill wrote:

"We are currently working on a design for 3/4 ton (250/2500) and 1 ton (350/3500) based expedition vehicles. This is an incredibly innovative design that we believe will revolutionize this segment of the market. We plan to offer this for Ford, GM and Dodge trucks."

Any news or update on an ER based on these platforms?

Omar/3.9.3

I hope it comes with gasoline engine .
Because my country doesn't has ULSD . So I think F350 Gas engine would be nice or Sierra Denali 3500 :victory:

another thing that we need is more innovative technology with the new floorplans , more Comfortable and luxurius.

We Are Waiting :coffee:

Trey1940

Gas engine

The Ford F-350 is available with a 6.2L V8 gas engine, and the F-550 (XV-LTS) is available with a 6.8L V10 only when ordered in the "XL" or "XLT" trim (most EarthRoamer vehicles are Lariat trim, IIRC)

Omar/3.9.3

Glad to hear this . I'm very surprised :wings:

High Sulfur engine isn't nice, because the technology of high sulfur is bad ! .
The new diesel engie from Ford comes with a lot of features include Porsche technology however I think Earth Roamer is good but still need a little bit of comfort ! I feel that something missing for the complete camping vehicle.

Im now waiting for an Epedition Vehicle that can depend on its self without a home ! maybe Earth Roamer should provide Epedtion trailer hauled by XV-LT and comes with a Carage for one car, storage places ,Fuel&Water tanks, bathroom with a shower...etc .

XV-LT and XV-LTS comes with 12,500lbs capability hitch ! wonder what if they design a trailer with it :) .

It will reduce the off-road ability , but will stand in long time journeys .

Thanks for Helping guys .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk