eatSleepWoof gets a 6x12

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Framed-in the water tanks. 170L fresh water (bottom) and 90L gray water. Framing is screwed to studs, walls and floor, while the tanks are sandwiched-in between the framing and walls.

u1y0NUw.jpg

Started on the plumbing using 3/4" PEX.

PlhppUu.jpg

Made the box containing water fixtures for the driver's side access panel. Finished in Herculiner (truck-bed liner).

VKORN8X.jpg

Plumbing progress: drains for both tanks are routed outside (bottom) of the trailer, fresh water tank intake connected, exterior shower connected. Also ran 12mm bolts through the bottom of the water tank framing, to the exterior, and secured with nylocks. Roughed-in insulation for the access panel.

mAmzkWd.jpg

Framing for the batteries. The three tie-downs are bolted through the floor with 1/4", stainless bolts.

eZH4kHq.jpg

Batteries are secured with a ratchet strap.

tUbt4DY.jpg

Started kitchen cabinet work.

HegagWj.jpg

More progress on the cabinetry, and routed the propane hose with various splitters. One propane line runs to the water heater, another will protrude through the kitchen countertop for a camping stove hookup, and the final line runs to the passenger's side access hatch (also for a camping stove hookup).

zyGoJ71.jpg

xMj5cNX.jpg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
We were on vacation for a few weeks, so progress has been slow.

Made a panel to hold all electrical components and mounted it above the batteries. Panel is bolted in and secured with four M6 star-knobs, so that it can be removed without tools in a pinch. Plenty of space below for access to the batteries.

2Q23L9b.jpg

The Renogy battery monitor conveniently shows current charge, incoming/outgoing amperage, and projections for either battery depletion or full charge, depending on whether the battery is being charged or used. Great piece of kit!

8hEkbx5.jpg

Also removed the second switch panel as I realized it's completely unnecessary. Even this panel will have two unused switches.

MxgwDcH.jpg

Made a cable for the NOCO 10 Genius charger to work with my external Anderson connector. This connector can be used to charge the battery via a portable charger (like my NOCO), an external solar setup, a DC/DC charger, or any other source of electricity. The NOCO charger puts in 10amps as advertised.

I90eFV1.jpg

4NipBzf.jpg

Kingsize24

The wiring looks good. I'm actually doing mine right now as well. I'd love to see more detail with what you've done. Always good to get a visual of things. I have basically those same components, with the addition of a couple things.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
The wiring looks good. I'm actually doing mine right now as well. I'd love to see more detail with what you've done. Always good to get a visual of things. I have basically those same components, with the addition of a couple things.

Here are a few more shots.

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

It's a pretty straightforward setup.

Top-left is the battery monitor shank - battery negative connects to B-, and all components and chargers have their negatives run through P-.

Bottom-left is the circuit breaker. It's an 80amp one because that's what I had on hand. The BlueSea fuse block is rated for 100amps, so the circuit breaker can be replaced with a 100amp one, if that's ever necessary. Battery positive connects to left side of the breaker, all positive loads and charger connect to the other end. Circuit breaker allows me to fully disconnect all electrical from the batteries, if ever wanted.

In between the shank and circuit breaker are two small distribution panels for future use. The single wire runs from the positive distribution panel to the shank, as required by the battery monitor setup.

The fuse block is... a fuse block. The accessories that have their own switches (ie. dimmers and fan) or don't require switches (sockets on the switch panel) run straight here. The 5 switches on the switch panel trigger the 5 relays below, and the relays get their source power from the fuse block, while outputting power directly to the accessories governed by the switches.

Yesterday I ordered some linear actuators which will be used to raise the top bunk (when it's not in use), so I'll have to eventually connect those to one of the unused slots on the fuse block.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Looks great! Think it'll be complete in time for camping season this year?

We've got two nights of camping booked at a nearby provincial park in just under a month, so I'm rushing to get the kitchen done before then. For this trip we can still use cots, or even mattresses on the floor.

We've also got our first kid on the way (mid-late July), so one way or another I need to get everything done in the next few months. Well, everything in the interior, at least. I've got plans for extending the tongue length, changing axle, spray-foam insulating the floor, and a few other things that will be somewhat outside of my control/time, and those can likely be done any time down the road.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We've got two nights of camping booked at a nearby provincial park in just under a month, so I'm rushing to get the kitchen done before then. For this trip we can still use cots, or even mattresses on the floor.

We've also got our first kid on the way (mid-late July), so one way or another I need to get everything done in the next few months. Well, everything in the interior, at least. I've got plans for extending the tongue length, changing axle, spray-foam insulating the floor, and a few other things that will be somewhat outside of my control/time, and those can likely be done any time down the road.
Oh wow, that's awesome! Congrats on becoming parents, it's an amazing experience!

(at least until they become teenagers, haha)

Which provincial park?
If you haven't been there before let me know your thoughts on it.
We are thinking of heading there in July to visit my parents and were thinking of incorporating some camping in when we're there.
A nearby provincial park would fit the bill.
We saw a private campground online but it's not really our style of camping. (wide open, no privacy, no trees etc...)

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Oh wow, that's awesome! Congrats on becoming parents, it's an amazing experience!

(at least until they become teenagers, haha)

Which provincial park?
If you haven't been there before let me know your thoughts on it.
We are thinking of heading there in July to visit my parents and were thinking of incorporating some camping in when we're there.
A nearby provincial park would fit the bill.
We saw a private campground online but it's not really our style of camping. (wide open, no privacy, no trees etc...)

Thank you!

We'll be going to Mable Lake. Got a site for us, and our next door neighbours got the adjacent site. They spend a few weeks camping there every summer, and we've been there for day trips many times, too. No cell service there, but otherwise it's a very well kept park, and decent privacy in many sites.

I think the last time I camped in a provincial campground must have been around 22 years ago, but I figured it's a good place to do a trial run of the trailer.

If you want to book a site, make sure you do it first thing (ie. 7am) in the morning, on the VERY day that reservations open for your dates (I believe that's 4 months prior to your first date). Very popular place and good campsites get taken quick. Come to think of it, they might already be open for your dates.

Ellison Provincial Park is another good local option (basically right in town), but it's even more popular and getting the dates you want will be a challenge.

Shuswap Lake Provincial Park is about 1.5 hours north, but it's a good place to check out, too. Very private sites - tons of trees, room between sites, etc.

If you're in a pinch, Kekuli Bay Provincial Park is an option. You won't find much privacy there, and the highway is nearby, but it's basically right on the water with walking trails and other upsides.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thank you!

We'll be going to Mable Lake. Got a site for us, and our next door neighbours got the adjacent site. They spend a few weeks camping there every summer, and we've been there for day trips many times, too. No cell service there, but otherwise it's a very well kept park, and decent privacy in many sites.

I think the last time I camped in a provincial campground must have been around 22 years ago, but I figured it's a good place to do a trial run of the trailer.

If you want to book a site, make sure you do it first thing (ie. 7am) in the morning, on the VERY day that reservations open for your dates (I believe that's 4 months prior to your first date). Very popular place and good campsites get taken quick. Come to think of it, they might already be open for your dates.

Ellison Provincial Park is another good local option (basically right in town), but it's even more popular and getting the dates you want will be a challenge.

Shuswap Lake Provincial Park is about 1.5 hours north, but it's a good place to check out, too. Very private sites - tons of trees, room between sites, etc.

If you're in a pinch, Kekuli Bay Provincial Park is an option. You won't find much privacy there, and the highway is nearby, but it's basically right on the water with walking trails and other upsides.
Awesome! Thank you for the tips!

Kingsize24

The wiring looks FANTASTIC! I am struggling with locations with alot of this stuff. But it's coming along slowly. The panel I started on yesterday I actually stopped and will make a few changes after seeing yours. The wires running through the back of the plank in those routed holes is a GREAT idea.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Countertop is in place! Material is 1.5"-thick bamboo, which I stained and finished. It's bolted down with about 6-7 M6 bolts, and screwed down with an additional 6-7 screws.

Water pump is a beast. Stronger pressure than what I have at home.

DDy5cST.jpg

Sink is 15x17" - a fair bit larger than what we had in our previous travel trailer; it's also deeper, and has a very deep food-catch basket. It's a much nicer option than what's commonly found in trailers, and will be plumbed shortly.

I'll make some sort of fixture to secure the stove hookup so that those fittings aren't bouncing around in transit (and destroying the countertop). With time I'll also build a variety of cabinets/storage nooks all around, above the countertop.

0zlD0vE.jpg

wYHfCvx.jpg

JGHBHHI.jpg

Also made some changes to the sleeping plans. Over the course of the build we've changed the plans for this about a dozen times, but have finally settled on a setup that will actually work for us. We will not do the previously-planned staggered bunk-bed layout, but will instead have a north-south, queen bed in the main sleeping area, and an east-west bunk above it, at the far end. Fridge will live on a slider underneath the bed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother